Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Interested in a Honda s2000. Advice please!!!

Hey guys,

So I just sold my 135i, and I'm looking into getting into something more sporty. Something like a Honda S2000. I love the look of the car and the quality of the car. I heard they are really fun cars, the engine is pretty much bullet proof, and the manual transmission is one of the best in the industry. I also see that Vortech makes a supercharger which is CARB approved, and thats a big yes for me. Does anybody have any experience with this supercharger system? Are there any known issues with these cars, I should be aware of? What would you recommend an AP1? or AP2? I see that the AP1s redline at 9k and the AP2s at 8k? Why did Honda make this change? (more torque? or something else?), How would you compare the price of mods compared to a BMW (n54 type).

My questions are direct to those who have experience with this car, or know somebody that does. Please, feel free to add anything else you might deem important. Thanks!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know someone looking to sell their S2K. Motor is built ready to handle whatever you want to throw at it. It's perfect if you're looking for a sweet project car. It's a shop owners', he was getting it ready for a turbo kit and break some records with it.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh, yes, to answer your questions. The car is pretty stout stock, all things considered, but they really like being built for high revs and turbos. Not sure I've encountered any with supercharged, or did and just didn't have a chance to find out what they had under the hood. Despite what people say about BMW "tax" HONDA motors are not cheap to build, and turbo kits are not either. For good quality parts you'll have to pay, but S2K is a good market and there are plenty of deals out there. Sweet cars for sure
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

video

OP you should buy it. There isn't any hidden defects or or "normal s2k problems". Its a car you can just have some fun in or a car you can build to put in work. I have been in Hondas
    since I was 16 and there easy to work on and build. I have a fully built turbo car. The s2k can easily do 600hp stock. Check out the Real Street s2k. Good luck with purchase, I also agree with going turbo instead of supercharged. You can learn some things or browse cars on honda-tech.
    Last edited by three35iguy; 05-16-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: more

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by three35iguy Click here to enlarge
    OP you should buy it. There isn't any hidden defects or or "normal s2k problems". Its a car you can just have some fun in or a car you can build to put in work. I have been in Hondas
    since I was 16 and there easy to work on and build. I have a fully built turbo car. The s2k can easily do 600hp stock. Check out the Real Street s2k. Good luck with purchase, I also agree with going turbo instead of supercharged. You can learn some things or browse cars on honda-tech.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5zhwl_9n0Y
    From your perspective which would be the better one to build AP1 or AP2? A S2k will be my next project for sure!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Make sure you get the 2002 up because it has glass window on the back. The S2000 have so much potential. Mine used to be boosted as well and I loved it!
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2087 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's there to advise? The car is awesome.

AP1 or AP2 you'll love it.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

J

If your going to build it I think you will enjoy either. Check this out http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2173176 Either one you pick, please put a hard top on it
    Last edited by three35iguy; 05-16-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: F

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah thanks guys. The more I do research on this car, the more I want one. Nobody had anything and go day about this car. Just dead reliable, thrilling and fun to drive. I'm not looking to make any crazy horsepower. That's why I'm looking more into a supercharger where the linear power will still be there. Found a really nice 2002 with a vortech supercharger for around 15k. Care barely gets driven. Maybe I'll snatch it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2087 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Yeah thanks guys. The more I do research on this car, the more I want one. Nobody had anything and go day about this car. Just dead reliable, thrilling and fun to drive. I'm not looking to make any crazy horsepower. That's why I'm looking more into a supercharger where the linear power will still be there. Found a really nice 2002 with a vortech supercharger for around 15k. Care barely gets driven. Maybe I'll snatch it.
    Why not? The blower is always worth something anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I drove an ap1 with a comptech supercharger. It was a great car to drive. Very balanced, and fast enough. Would make a great track car. Idk how they would be as a daily. My buddy just bought an ap1 3 days ago. So far he loves it. He bought it from a mutual friend who used it as primarily as a track day car for the last 11 years. It's still as solid as new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I just did the complete opposite from you. I had a 2005 S2k with a Paxton supercharger (SienceofSpeed) making a little over 400 WHP with a 16lb pulley on Pump fuel. After driving a friend of mines 135I and talking to him about there plans for the car I decided to return my S to stock and find a 135 and haven't looked back once. The comfort and quality of a German vehicle will always be superior to a Japanese rig. All though the s2000 was fun and sporty I find the BMW more enjoyable to drive.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2087 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRAUG135 Click here to enlarge
    driving a friend of mines 135I and talking to him about there plans for the car I decided to return my S to stock and find a 135 and haven't looked back once. The comfort and quality of a German vehicle will always be superior to a Japanese rig. All though the s2000 was fun and sporty I find the BMW more enjoyable to drive.
    How is more enjoyable to drive above fun and sporty? Fun and sporty means more enjoyable to drive.

The 135i is more comfortable, sure. The S2K is more fun to drive though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRAUG135 Click here to enlarge
    I just did the complete opposite from you. I had a 2005 S2k with a Paxton supercharger (SienceofSpeed) making a little over 400 WHP with a 16lb pulley on Pump fuel. After driving a friend of mines 135I and talking to him about there plans for the car I decided to return my S to stock and find a 135 and haven't looked back once. The comfort and quality of a German vehicle will always be superior to a Japanese rig. All though the s2000 was fun and sporty I find the BMW more enjoyable to drive.
    Interesting you say that. I felt like the 135i was not all that exciting really, especially with the stock suspension. It was waaaay too soft and body roll like crazy, and let's not take about understeer. The car was cool when don't pulls cus of all the torque but no balls up top, and for me that was just not exciting or thrilling. I don't think the 135i and the s2000 are in the same league whatsoever when it comes to thrills and racing. Unless the 135i suspension has been heavily modded. Also, I never really enjoyed the shifter in the 135i, the throws were notchy and long.

The car just did not feel like a real sports car, it is way too quiet inside the cabin unless you get the BMS filters, the stock exhaust is quiet as $#@! too. Let's not mention the reliability problems either the n54 has. Anyways, those were my impressions and feelings I have about the car. All I can say now is good riddance!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How is more enjoyable to drive above fun and sporty? Fun and sporty means more enjoyable to drive.

The 135i is more comfortable, sure. The S2K is more fun to drive though.
    The s2000 was extremely fun to drive but that's where it stopped for me. They are extremely small cars and if your taller than 6ft you will have a hard time fitting. It was never a car I wanted to spend a whole lot of time in as it would start to wear on me within the hour. There's only one word that I can think of to describe the s2000 and that's "Raw". It is bare bones, no creature comforts what so ever besides AC and Cruise control. I guess after having the S2k for 3 years I was ready for a change and the N54 power plant sucked me in after a few plans were presented to me. All in all these are two great cars built for two completely different things, it's hard to compare! Good luck with the purchase!