Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Z06 X and Camaro X

Why doesnt BMW make special cars like this! !!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Z06 X

Corvette Z06X, the bruiser is effectively a race-ready behemoth with a host of suspension tweaks and a slew of weight-reducing materials on board. Built by the Corvette legends at Pratt and Miller, this Satin White machine started its life as a Z06 with the CFZ carbon-fiber package. Throw in an adjustable rear wing borrowed straight from the C6R along with a full SCCA roll cage and you've got the bones for go-fast trackday goodness.

Under the hood, the standard LS7 V8 benefits from a new low-restriction intake and a more robust coolant system. The suspension wizards at PFADT were so kind as to supply a set of mono-ball control arm bushings, adjustable stabilizer bars and a complete coilover suspension, too.

Chevrolet has also bolted on a new raised carbon-fiber hood along with carbon headlight housings to shave a few pounds. The biggest weight savings, however, has to come from the polycarbonate rear window which is also lifted straight from the C6R

Camaro X

While the epic Corvette Z06X Concept was seemingly envisioned as the Bow Tie answer to the Dodge Viper ACR-X, Chevrolet is showing the Camaro similar love via the SSX Concept. The car makes use of a host of carbon fiber in places like the trunk lid, hood, fenders and doors to keep weight as low as possible, and while the company isn't saying exactly how many pounds it managed to shed compared to the standard SS, we've got to imagine that the figure is far from insubstantial.

In addition to putting the Camaro on a diet, Chevrolet also took it upon itself to play havoc with the 6.2-liter under the hood by bolting on tricks like new CNC aluminum cylinder heads, sliding in a new camshaft and swapping in a dry-sump oil system. Make no mistake, with around 524 horsepower on tap, this dog will hunt.
    Last edited by 1cleanAMG; 11-03-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    pretty sick! Love the z06
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I bet the camaro is still in the 3400 lbs range. It starts out at 3800 so a modest 400 lbs drop would make sense.

The vette is probably fun to drive.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They would both be fun to drive! The Camaro is a big ole piggy though, especially next to a Corvette.

I just found out yesterday, the 2004 Mustang Cobra had a dry weight of only 3,006lbs!!! What happened? (Most likely crash/safety regulations)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All cars get heavier. More electronics, more safety etc... Look at a civic in 1992 vs a civic today, about a 1000 lbs increase. Thats why todays civics are gloating 32 mpg OMFGGG, yea the 1992 civic could probably hit easy 35+ mpg with far less technology just because it weighed less.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    All cars get heavier. More electronics, more safety etc... Look at a civic in 1992 vs a civic today, about a 1000 lbs increase. Thats why todays civics are gloating 32 mpg OMFGGG, yea the 1992 civic could probably hit easy 35+ mpg with far less technology just because it weighed less.
    It's stupid, the government pushes all these safety mandates that kill gas mileage because of weight, but they $#@! about how we are killing the world and force into law mpg requirements, which are harder to hit every year due to increased regulation.

If they really gave a $#@! then they would allow things like the CRX to still be built....

The Smart Fortwo is a joke....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That Camaro is problably lighter than a e92 M3
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    That Camaro is problably lighter than a e92 M3
    You are probably right. I can get a nice 4wd truck that weighs less!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BMW makes the M3 GT4, which is similar in intent but not nearly as fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    the 2004 Mustang Cobra had a dry weight of only 3,006lbs!!! What happened? (Most likely crash/safety regulations)
    It had an IRS and other design elements that made it lighter weight than the GT500. You will notice companies making aftermarket suspensions for the GT500 tend to drop a lot of weight from the car in that area.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It had an IRS and other design elements that made it lighter weight than the GT500. You will notice companies making aftermarket suspensions for the GT500 tend to drop a lot of weight from the car in that area.
    Ford make shift irs on the 03 svt mustang is about 200lbs heavier than the stick axle. The 03 svt is about 300lbs heavier than the 03 mach 1(live axle, al block dohc 4.6). Wet weight for the 03 svt is about 3650, 07 svt(gt500) 3850, 11 svt 3750lbs.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I bet the camaro is still in the 3400 lbs range. It starts out at 3800 so a modest 400 lbs drop would make sense.

The vette is probably fun to drive.
    400lbs is a lot of weight! Remember most of the stuff they are replacing not taking out at least from above statement on the camaro x. Does it still have ac, radio, back seats? We dont know. I will say this the RTR mustang dropped over 300lbs and that mustang was entirely(all body panels) carbon fiber. Of course it cost $150k too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    Ford make shift irs on the 03 svt mustang is about 200lbs heavier than the stick axle. The 03 svt is about 300lbs heavier than the 03 mach 1(live axle, al block dohc 4.6). Wet weight for the 03 svt is about 3650, 07 svt(gt500) 3850, 11 svt 3750lbs.
    That sounds about right, but don't the GT500's lose a ton of weight by going IRS? I forget which aftermarket company it is but something around 200 pounds is shed by going to their system.

The SVT is heavier than the Mach 1 likely due to the iron block in it. I'm sure the weight balance figures would tell the tale.

Edit: Griggs is what I was thinking of:

Light weight, easy access: The complete GR40 system saves considerable weight as well, and makes working on the car a breeze. Using GR40 Alum spindles and Griggs 13.5” Sport Brake Kit, total OEM parts weight removed is 261 lbs. Total installed GR40 front end weight removes 30 pounds from the front of the car, most of which is un-sprung.

Rear weight bias obtainable. Our test car yielded a 50.2 % rear weight bias full of fuel and with 210# driver, this was a GT in street trim, battery in stock location all systems stock except for the GR chassis and brakes. Other mods and/or track prep could move the weight back further.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fstop7 Click here to enlarge
    BMW makes the M3 GT4, which is similar in intent but not nearly as fast.
    The M3 GT4 is not street legal. This 2 are.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That sounds about right, but don't the GT500's lose a ton of weight by going IRS? I forget which aftermarket company it is but something around 200 pounds is shed by going to their system.

The SVT is heavier than the Mach 1 likely due to the iron block in it. I'm sure the weight balance figures would tell the tale.

Edit: Griggs is what I was thinking of:
    Griggs uses a live axle in the rear(torque arm bar set up) and an sla front suspension. The live axle is significantly lighter than the irs. One of the main reason the camaro weighs more than the mustang is the irs in the rear of the camaro.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IRS is actually heavier than a live axle however it has a ton less unsprung weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    IRS is actually heavier than a live axle however it has a ton less unsprung weight.
    False
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Point is cars are just getting heavier. I remember when sub 2500 lbs was typical race weight. Now if you hit 3200 you're LIIIGHHHTTT NIGGGAA...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    Griggs uses a live axle in the rear(torque arm bar set up) and an sla front suspension. The live axle is significantly lighter than the irs. One of the main reason the camaro weighs more than the mustang is the irs in the rear of the camaro.
    So Griggs does not go IRS for any of their GT500 setups?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    The M3 GT4 is not street legal. This 2 are.
    That is important to mention, good point.

The GTS would be the closest but since it is only a limited roll out it doesn't really count.