Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

AUDI TTS Just went from a GIAC stage2+ to an APR stage2+, my impression

My car originally had an APR stage 1 tune when I bought it. I loaded back in Oct 2012 a GIAC Stage 1 tune. The car was noticeable quicker with the GIAC tune. I flashed a Stage 2+ GIAC tune with the Stage 2 DSG flash in April 2013. I was talking to SEAN at APR the other day and he said I could expect to pick up horsepower and driveability by going with the new APR stage 2+. The tune would only cost the warranty transfer price. So, for the $150, I figured what did I have to lose, especially since I thought the car was little throttle sensitive. It had a peaky power band like a 125cc 2 stroke dirt bike. When it cut on and it cut on hard.

I know I am new to this forum but I am Brd.Prey on VW vortex and you can see that I have posted over the last two years about my car so I am not troll.

I know this can be a argument causing post.

The initial results. Old peak boost 24.5 psi. New boost 31.7 psi. Car is SO Much more drive-able it builds power uniformly. The car also builds more power up top and for deeper in the RPM range. I always thought the car signed off too early but I thought it was the result of the K04 running out of legs.

I would spend $150 all day long for these results.

Thanks Sean and APR.

PS for you boost heads 7.2psi is half a bar or about 50% gain on the engines normally aspirated rating. I guess about 150HP, the math says this is a 70 HP gain. I am not sure I believe I found 70 HP but I sure found some and its better distributed.

Ed

Please I am not trying to start a flaming war, just giving you my unbiased opinion. Nobody is buttering my bread especially not APR. PS bread available APR hint hint!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your opinion is fine trust me this isn't going to start a flame war. Heh, you should see what flame wars here look like.

Do you have any dynos though? Or any data to corroborate this?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    No, dyno, can't see the point of a dyno, if the software for European cars don't allow me to adjust fueling timing or VE tables. I have to live with the tune they write for me. I do think the max boost pressure gives some clue, the power band smoothness is differently noticable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand why you don't see the point of the dyno before and after. Why can't you adjust timing or air/fuel? Isn't that the whole point?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How do you adjust timing/afr. The local shops have no way to alter fueling/timing on these tunes APR/GIAC. So other than bragging rights, and all dynos are not created equal not even close, what do you get out of it.
    On my LS motor from Chevy and EFI live I could put the car on a dyno read my wideband AFR's disable fuel trims and adjust fuel or VE tables and look for it to be pulling timing. Beside any good tuner does most of his tuning driving the car. Dyno is only good for WOT pulls mostly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Lizotte Click here to enlarge
    How do you adjust timing/afr. The local shops have no way to alter fueling/timing on these tunes APR/GIAC. So other than bragging rights, and all dynos are not created equal not even close, what do you get out of it.
    On my LS motor from Chevy and EFI live I could put the car on a dyno read my wideband AFR's disable fuel trims and adjust fuel or VE tables and look for it to be pulling timing. Beside any good tuner does most of his tuning driving the car. Dyno is only good for WOT pulls mostly.
    Wow, really? I thought APR and GIAC could custom dyno tune to adjust these parameters?

I disagree with you regarding the dyno for tuning. I understand your point regarding load on the street but a good dyno for tuning will not be inertia based.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True, but from the end users point like me, the return on investment for paying for the dyno time is very little. Part throttle tuning takes a lot of time. You need lots and lots of logs and a couple days of street driving works great. Ask any tuner and he will tell you WOT on a tune is the easiest part, driveability is the hard part. WOT dial in 11.2 - 12.4 depending on Forced or normal induction for AFR by adjusting the VE tables and then added timing till the ecu pulls some and then back off a little. I know, I simplified it some but that's it in a nut shell. Doing that under partial throttle with varying load in different gears, that is a whole lot of the VE table, WOT is just one or 2 rows to figure out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wow, really? I thought APR and GIAC could custom dyno tune to adjust these parameters?

I disagree with you regarding the dyno for tuning. I understand your point regarding load on the street but a good dyno for tuning will not be inertia based.
    GIAC and APR will not do one off files as far as i know, maybe if you're a large customer, but even then i doubt it.

Unitronic will do custom tuning though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why worry about flame? You are presenting real world experience on your dime.

I am curious as to your full setup, do you have the K04 on your TT or stock turbos? almost 32 psi is kinda high
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Why worry about flame? You are presenting real world experience on your dime.

I am curious as to your full setup, do you have the K04 on your TT or stock turbos? almost 32 psi is kinda high

Both numbers were a peak boost pulled of my P3 guage.

034 downpipe, APR HPFP, APR stage 2+ ECM, GIAC DSG stage 2, Race Hadlex, 034 Catch Can, MSS springs, Nuespeed ARB front rear, 034 Rear ARB links, 034 Spherical Rear Trailing arm bushings, 034 dogbone and motormounts, Tyrosports deadbolt, OZ Racing Wheels, Michelin PS3, P3 Cars Pod guage, Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eurodyne guys can do this stuff....... they did my old GIAC tune just now with modded tables for a Porsche 996 Turbo S and they specialize in Audi and VW

With their software and my new tune I can adjust tables myself.... once my dyno disaster broken whatever is fixed that is

see eurodyne.ca
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    APR>All Tuners.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    APR>All Tuners.
    sorry can't hear you over Unitronic's and GIACs meth integration.

but for pure tune it and go for basic set ups, yeah I can agree with you on that. My stage 2 tune from them had no issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

They mostly one glove fits all types. Most of the VW tunes I see consider timing drops normal and are not even market specific.
    these big companies work on turnover and push the tunes out in volumes. Once sales drop they release revised tunes to stay on the map sales wise. Customers then do what I call cross pollination jumping from one big name to another.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True, but from the end users point like me, the return on investment for paying for the dyno time is very little. Part throttle tuning takes a lot of time. You need lots and lots of logs and a couple days of street driving works great. Ask any tuner and he will tell you WOT on a tune is the easiest part, driveability is the hard part. WOT dial in 11.2 - 12.4 depending on Forced or normal induction for AFR by adjusting the VE tables and then added timing till the ecu pulls some and then back off a little. I know, I simplified it some but that's it in a nut shell. Doing that under partial throttle with varying load in different gears, that is a whole lot of the VE table, WOT is just one or 2 rows to figure out.
    Part throttle is a 16x16 table load based so nots so hard. Car targets AFR so fueling is simple and timing doesn't take a brain surgeon. The VAG cars are the simplest to tune in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    GIAC and APR will not do one off files as far as i know, maybe if you're a large customer, but even then i doubt it.

Unitronic will do custom tuning though.
    No custom tuning is L A M E.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No custom tuning is L A M E.
    I agree. I'm happy to be in a vehicle where I can get a custom dyno tune that will not only perform better but be cheaper than the VAG scene of "one size fits all for $600+"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To each his own, but the ECU handles fuel trim adjustments and if your mods are bolt on and the tune was done for your mods it usually is a pretty good route. If you want to do all kinds of unique mods and have lots of time to spend tuning then a custom tune would be a better route.
    In the GM world I have seen a lot of custom tune suck as well as some of those mail in ones as well.

Only important thing is that I am happy with how MY car runs right now!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Only important thing is that I am happy with how MY car runs right now!

And that is all that matters..

My old tune was wacky and in reading the tables seemed to consist of just an adaption of some fuel tables to run TOO RICH and an increased speed limiter, that is not a tune it is a one off mass produced one size fits all KMART stocking package
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge