Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

2JZ, no $#@!! Sound Performance gets 1000+ horsepower out of a stock bottom end MKIV Supra 2JZ-GTE with a ProEFI standalone

The Supra has developed an almost legendary reputation for big power. You can practically sneeze on the car and it will gain horsepower. Sneeze hard enough knocking the right hose off and that actually is true. So just how strong is the stock iron block 2JZ-GTE motor?

Strong enough to put down 997 horsepower at the wheels on a Mustang Dyno with a Precision 7675R turbocharger at 38 psi of boost and ProEFI standalone with ethanol. Now this is not a level of power one would expect a stock bottom end 2JZ to last with and it is somewhat of a glory pull but it is quite an impressive glory pull.

In the early days Supras would often give out at half this power. Not necessarily because the motor couldn't take it but because the tuning of the platform was not what it is today. A large part of this is thanks to the ProEFI ecu.

This is definitely impressive work by Sound Performance. Much respect!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

That's unreal. Props to those guys!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Yep some very good work. Props indeed!

I think they just pushed this for fun. Not sure if it is a stock bottom end record or not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

ProEFI attacking records on all fronts... The Turbo E46 M3 record, the Porsche record with the EVOMS/Al-Abanabi 997, and now some Supra records
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I accidentally wrote MKVI, whoops, edited.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    ProEFI attacking records on all fronts... The Turbo E46 M3 record, the Porsche record with the EVOMS/Al-Abanabi 997, and now some Supra records
    Yes but it is all on old platforms...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

And? People are still racing 4th Gen F-Body Camaro's, C6 Vette's.... I mean the Gallardo has been in production since 2003! Are you gonna argue that the UGR cars aren't impressive because some of their 2Rs are now ~10 years old??

It also helps that these "older" cars aren't utilizing DI, which makes aftermarket fueling + tuning a lot easier.

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

lol hell people are still messing around with LSXs
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

And? People are still racing 4th Gen F-Body Camaro's, C6 Vette's.... I mean the Gallardo has been in production since 2003! Are you gonna argue that the UGR cars aren't impressive because some of their 2Rs are now ~10 years old??

It also helps that these "older" cars aren't utilizing DI, which makes aftermarket fueling + tuning a lot easier.
    And my point is that it isn't a solution for newer cars. The N54 ProEfi stuff is where exactly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    And my point is that it isn't a solution for newer cars. The N54 ProEfi stuff is where exactly?
    Undercover has already explained that the very heavy, investment in the DI software cannot be justified by ProEFI HQ because of the expected lack of return.....

Yet. Realistically it's a matter of time until DI becomes an industry standard & every standalone EMS (not just Motec) offers DI support.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Undercover has already explained that the very heavy, investment in the DI software cannot be justified by ProEFI HQ because of the expected lack of return.....

Yet. Realistically it's a matter of time until DI becomes an industry standard & every standalone EMS (not just Motec) offers DI support.
    I don't think the ProEFI has the capability so the investment is irrelevant. For the newer cars and direct injected motors you are going to need a sophisticated Pectel or Motec box and that's big money.

It's a good choice for older platforms and motors where it is plug and play. That is where it is best suited.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't think the ProEFI has the capability so the investment is irrelevant. For the newer cars and direct injected motors you are going to need a sophisticated Pectel or Motec box and that's big money.

It's a good choice for older platforms and motors where it is plug and play. That is where it is best suited.
    Pectel still doesn't offer DFI support with CAN compatibility. So far, Motec is the only who theoretically does -- I say theoretically because A) it's not even on their site and B) there's not proof that the 5.2L V10s UGR is building are still even DFI and not converted to port (especially since they're the only ones who've magically found a suitable DFI upgrade when almost quadrupling the OEM power).

I mean if we're gonna talk recent, relevant platforms ProEFI has supported, the Hennessy Venom GT + Total Race TT-S7 (that crazy 2k WHP car) are both utilizing their EMS. And for something that costs about 1/2 a Motec or Pectel, less than a Syvecs, and relatively the same as an AEM Infinity, that's very impressive and cannot be overlooked.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Exactly, we will need new solutions.

The ProEFI works great for those cars.

For the new direct injected cars we will have to see what happens or develops. It will be even more difficult for dual injected cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My proefi ecu is pretty badass

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He dyno it on a mustang dyno, that means its making 1000+ whp because those dynos read 10% lower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by reimundo Click here to enlarge
    He dyno it on a mustang dyno, that means its making 1000+ whp because those dynos read 10% lower.
    This is a general rule of thumb but not always accurate. In this case though I think it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Thing must be so fun to drive, peak TQ as early as 6000 RPM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I would not want to drive like that on stock internals but if it was built I would any time. My friend made 900whp on this supra stock internals and blow up his engine but he was racing the $#@! out of it . Now its built making 1000whp no problem . Its just a standard built 3.0L nothing crazy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I would not want to drive like that on stock internals but if it was built I would any time. My friend made 900whp on this supra stock internals and blow up his engine but he was racing the $#@! out of it . Now its built making 1000whp no problem . Its just a standard built 3.0L nothing crazy.
    That's exactly it. You can do some glory pulls but it's just a ticking time bomb.

Build it and you don't have to worry and can get it on it as hard as you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Thing must be so fun to drive, peak TQ as early as 6000 RPM
    Single turbo supra throttles are pretty much just off or on switches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Put 76mm turbo or bigger on a n54 engine and you get the same outcome an off and on switch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Put 76mm turbo or bigger on a n54 engine and you get the same outcome an off and on switch
    They'll realize it soon enough.