Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 with DCT/DKG in hight boost condition.

Hi guys. So my car was tuned by PTF and run more more aggressive in 100 meth now.
    I noticed that my DCT have slips during gear switching in hight boost condition.
    I have already build cooling system for TRANS but it solves the problem for a short time.
    I run 0-200 about 10 times and after this DCT tranny start to slip during gear switching. ( when I do a gear change, I see that the rpm speed drops but the gear is not switched. )
    DCT does not fall into emergency mode and there are no errors ( I check ). I think it's overheating clutch module and I will do DCT cooling pan for better cooling. Anybody experiencing similar problems on DCT from 450+ whp ?
    Also i try to find tuned DCT flash for our 335 in ISTA database and found this option:
    #DKG_GTRR
    #EG ;7601973
    #EG ;7601975
    #EG ;7622028
    #EG ;7622030
    So does anybody know, what is GTRR option mean ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much whp do you have? Am running full e85 with protune making just over 430 whp no methanol and my dct is holding fine. ( fingers crossed! )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had a DCT overheating warning the other day when I was testing my meth setup with RB's. It was during some beating session, track style racing on a industrial yard.
    Slipping I do not have that much, but I always drive in sports mode, this might help as it shifts a bit rougher, less clutch slip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I donít know the DCT all that well, but you are just subjecting it to too much heat with 10 consecutive 0-124MPH pulls. Iím not at all surprised the gearbox is slipping, even with dedicated cooling. Doing some highway roll racing is one thing, but you are essentially taking 10 passes at the drag strip in consecutive order. That type of abuse requires a built trans. @does Gintaniís DCT solution play nice with N54 equipped cars? If you arenít at liberty to talk about it, thatís fine. Just curious.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevourS65 Click here to enlarge
    How much whp do you have? Am running full e85 with protune making just over 430 whp no methanol and my dct is holding fine. ( fingers crossed! )
    I do not have dyno result, because we still tune process, but car run 100-200km in 6.98 sec.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As mentioned above, run it always in sports mode, Manual shift ( shifter to left ) ) It shifts more abruptly albeit more positively and aggressively. Gives me the impression of less slip in between gear changes compared to normal mode.

Anyway, the dct being a faster shifting box is also less ' tolerant ' of abuse and continuous hard driving ... I have to show mercy when beating it hard unless visiting ssp performance is my next intention for their 14/16 plate clutchesClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by DevourS65; 03-24-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Typo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I don’t know the DCT all that well, but you are just subjecting it to too much heat with 10 consecutive 0-124MPH pulls. I’m not at all surprised the gearbox is slipping, even with dedicated cooling. Doing some highway roll racing is one thing, but you are essentially taking 10 passes at the drag strip in consecutive order. That type of abuse requires a built trans. Sticky does Gintani’s DCT solution play nice with N54 equipped cars? If you aren’t at liberty to talk about it, that’s fine. Just curious.
    i think SSP Performance is what our boxes should be looking at... They've done quite a few now and even updated their clutch packs again lately.....
    Last edited by DevourS65; 03-24-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did they crack the TCU?
    I''m afraid that in general the same applies to the DCT as the AT, no software hack no durable/significant tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    About SSP or Dodson clutch.
    You can check DCT clutch from bmw M5 F10
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=28&fg=15
    and our 335 DCT
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...07&hg=28&fg=15
    There are same, but m5 have 1000+nm tq on the same clutch module, how ?
    My think about SSP vs stock - ssp have kevlar frictions, kevlar more resistant to overheating and SSP do not have slips.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RTA Click here to enlarge
    Did they crack the TCU?
    I''m afraid that in general the same applies to the DCT as the AT, no software hack no durable/significant tuning.
    This is correct but I guess Gintani is working on this as well with their upgrade. I'd actually be interested to see what both the DCT and 6AT could handle with just a cooler and tuning before hardware upgrade as they already take quite a beating with well over stock power levels with nothing done to help them.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    I do not have dyno result, because we still tune process, but car run 100-200km in 6.98 sec.

thats quick!
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gintani is getting some custom pieces made directly from the manufacturer. Estimated upgrade cost is rumored at 5k. They supposedly have a software solution.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2100+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Gintani is getting some custom pieces made directly from the manufacturer. Estimated upgrade cost is rumored at 5k. They supposedly have a software solution.
    thank you, try to contact with they.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting about the software, seems to be on the same encryption level as the AT and the latest ECU (F series), next to that, it's BMW's firmware, not from the gearbox vendor.
    I have been checking if the M3 cooler would fit the N54 DCT, it does not, the location of the oil lines is oppposite on the M3, only a custom solution would work...

Did somebody mention an improved pan/fin/cooling option?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    This is correct but I guess Gintani is working on this as well with their upgrade. I'd actually be interested to see what both the DCT and 6AT could handle with just a cooler and tuning before hardware upgrade as they already take quite a beating with well over stock power levels with nothing done to help them.
    What we need is someone with a ton of time on their hands, about $15K to test and break stuff, and a lot of mechanical knowledge of how the TCU and DME interact. No biggie.

I agree with you- and I bet the 6AT would hold a good deal of torque (well over 500WTQ) with dedicated cooling, and the ability to read/write to the TCU. If we could influence the mechatronics, that would be such a game changer. Shims and crap is not what I’m looking for.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    hm seems weird im at 550 hp 530 tq with 10k on this set up rb +jb4 bbflash
    an 20k on 460hp 509 tqfbo jb4+cobb set up
    an 8k on just jb4 an e50
    car right now has around 40k
    i never drive the car on auto so maybe that makes a diffrence? also i launch the car about twice a month but i do roll race atleast 3 times a week

havent had no problems with dct
    i do notice if u use the kick down button it forces the clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Busta7777 Click here to enlarge
    hm seems weird im at 550 hp 530 tq with 10k on this set up rb +jb4 bbflash
    an 20k on 460hp 509 tqfbo jb4+cobb set up
    an 8k on just jb4 an e50
    car right now has around 40k
    i never drive the car on auto so maybe that makes a diffrence? also i launch the car about twice a month but i do roll race atleast 3 times a week

havent had no problems with dct
    i do notice if u use the kick down button it forces the clutch
    stock clutches?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RTA Click here to enlarge
    Did they crack the TCU?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Gintani, from what is understood, is working on the software for the M3 DCT in which the mechatronics controller is programmed to handle less torque compared to the N54 DCT. I doubt seriously the software will be interchangeble being they have different DME's

All this glutch slipping report is either driver error, or previous abuse error. I have also ran the PTF E50 map, tones of torque i could feel my rear end literally buckle and shift gears instantly with no delays

I always drive in Sport manual mode, to hell with D and DS modes, your just asking for trouble if you tend to treat this car like an AT if your tuned

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    stock clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dang! The stock box holds better than expected as long as we don't abuse it ay... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I read on instagram this morning (gintani's instagram) that they have full control now of the dct software and can adjust clutch pressure and anything needed to properly upgrade the amount of power the dct can hold. They also have upgraded internals. Sounds like the complete solution! They are actually swapping out the smg on thier m6 in favor of a dct.

If I were a serious n54 single turbo or vtt3 twin turbo guy, I would give them a call. Maybe this is the solution for people that want big power and a auto. Cross your fingers...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    If I were a serious n54 single turbo or vtt3 twin turbo guy, I would give them a call. Maybe this is the solution for people that want big power and a auto. Cross your fingers...
    Just gotta wait and see. Shift S3ctor will be the test, and I'm happy that I'll be there in person.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe OP bought this tranny used ... as it was a swap... so who knows what the health was prior to the install
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    I believe OP bought this tranny used ... as it was a swap... so who knows what the health was prior to the install
    I just forgot engage sport mode lol ))))but anyway need additional cooling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From my research this is what I've concluded on how to extend the life of the DCT.
    -always drive in Manual mode with sport button pressed
    -never use the kick down switch at the end of the accelerator pedal
    -don't floor the throttle at low revs and high gear
    -Don't do too many back to back launches
    -Don't use a piggyback without an accompanying flash
    and it should be OK.
    Guess I'll find out when I get my Vargas turbo installed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast