Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)

A look at Ferrari's new 'lagless' 3.8 liter 560 horsepower twin turbo V8 with shared Maserati architecture - Tuner friendly Ferrari

Even Ferrari is not immune from environmental pressure on improving its emissions and that is why the Ferrari California received an engine update featuring a new 3.8 liter twin turbo V8. This same basic V8 already sees duty in the Maserati Quattroporte although detuned to 523 horsepower. For the California, Ferrari makes some changes to the engine increasing its power and torque output.

Click here to enlarge

This is not the first time Ferrari and Maserati have shared motors as the F430 42. liter V8 is based on a shared design with Maserati as well. The difference, however, is that the Ferrari 4.2 liter V8 and the Maserati 4.2 liter V8 have major architectural differences. The F430 4.2 liter gets a flat-plane crank allowing it to rev to 8500 rpm and have that glorious Ferrari engine note whereas the Maserati 4.2 V8 used in the Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, and Coupe/Spyder has a traditional crossplane crankshaft. This among other internal differences such as the pistons and rods.

With this new twin turbo 3.8 liter V8 motor Maserati and Ferrari share a more similar V8 than ever before. Both Maserati and Ferrari use twin scroll turbos on the motor although whether the turbochargers are the same size is anyone's guess. With cost cutting measures these days it would not surprise anyone if they happened to be the same model turbochargers.

Ferrari claims this is the first turbocharger motor without turbo lag which is basically a load of crap. There is no such thing as a turbo motor without turbo lag as no matter what measures are taken to minimize lag a turbo still is a mechanical part that needs exhaust gases to rotate. Essentially, all turbos need to spool up. Ferrari also claims their flat-plane crank helps throttle response. The Maserati motor uses a crossplane crankshaft and different exhaust manifold so it is possible the turbochargers are different.

The motor does not eliminate lag but it does a great job minimizing it as Ferrari themselves states turbo response takes less than a second. So, there is some lag despite in the exact same video explaining the motor Ferrari claims no turbo lag. A bit confusing but it is simply marketing. Somewhat insulting to people's intelligence though when they make a claim they contradict themselves right away.

With 560 horsepower and 557 pound-feet of torque this motor is a beast right out the gate. That said, this engine will change the Ferrari tuning landscape. All of a sudden Ferrari's will now be tuner friendly and 600+ horsepower with a tune should be no sweat. The advantage Porsche had with the 911 Turbo as far as aftermarket power and ease of tunability all of these years disappears.

Ferrari has not offered a turbo motor in a long time. Since the F40 way back in the 80's that did battle with the Porsche 959. Before that, the Ferrari 288 GTO featured turbo power as well as the 208 GTB.

It's a new era for Ferrari. The future is boosted.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Eh...the Califonia is b*tch Ferrari.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh...the Califonia is b*tch Ferrari.
    Not any longer it isn't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

hey look a dipstick. lol
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Nice article! I am going to have to push my father in law to get the new 458. I've missed his 430 so bad. He is one of the purists though that is pissed ferrari is going turbo. He's looking at a new z06
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Nice article! I am going to have to push my father in law to get the new 458. I've missed his 430 so bad. He is one of the purists though that is pissed ferrari is going turbo. He's looking at a new z06
    Sounds like your father in law has discerning taste.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

458 Speciale...will go down as one of the greats. In the dying world of normally aspirated powered cars. No doubt they will appreciate. Similar to my buddies 997.2 GT3, that last manual GT3. It is worth more than what he bought it for a couple years ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like your father in law has discerning taste.
    First weekend I stayed with him he gave me his 430 to take his daughter to dinner...... Pretty awesome lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    First weekend I stayed with him he gave me his 430 to take his daughter to dinner...... Pretty awesome lol
    Now I know if the chick's dad doesn't have a Ferrari to move on to the next one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Now I know if the chick's dad doesn't have a Ferrari to move on to the next one.
    Exactly... I'm living proof its a good indication of a happy marriage.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1831 Post(s)

I probably should look for a woman who can at least bring something more than her looks to the table. Would be nice.