Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Are the 2015 991 GT3RS spyshots actually the 2015 991 GT2?

The pictures you see are reported as being the new 991 GT3 RS. There are a lot of rumors floating around regarding the GT3 RS along with the 991 GT2. First of all, Porsche is apparently not sold on the new GT2 and an internal debate is taking place regarding whether the model should be built. The 991 GT3 RS also has rumors circulating that it will be offered with a manual transmission in addition to a PDK dual clutch option which seems to be a bit farfetched.

The issue with these spyphotos is that the car appears to be a turbocharged model. Porsche has never produced a GT3 with side intakes which are used as cooling for the turbocharged flat-6. Why would the GT3 get these with no intercoolers or associated parts in need of airflow for cooling?

The side vents point toward a turbocharged model and the center exhaust as well as wing point toward a 991 GT2. If PorscheBoost were to guess this is not a GT3 based car but a turbocharged 991 and based on that alone you likely are viewing the next generation GT2.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Looks badass already. Whatever it is, I can't wait till it's officially announced!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I just don't understand how people can think this is the GT3. I mean why would it be? It looks like the GT2 if anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

This looks sick. A perfect subtle styling change to make the car more sharp/badass looking
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

This car is gonna be evil!!!! That's the only way I can put it.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Looks so amazing! But the middle exhaust is very gt3'ish.. But the side vents throw me off..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I just don't understand how people can think this is the GT3. I mean why would it be? It looks like the GT2 if anything.
    Yeah it is weird. The center exhaust makes me think it is a GT3 RS test car. But then like you said, the rear side intakes scream GT2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I've been saying this for a while Porsche needs to drop the gt2 and do a Turbo GT ! AWD and PDK like the 991 turbo S but even more power and big focus on losing weight and track performance. Would be a monster and answer to the nismo GTR hope Porsche does it !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    I've been saying this for a while Porsche needs to drop the gt2 and do a Turbo GT ! AWD and PDK like the 991 turbo S but even more power and big focus on losing weight and track performance. Would be a monster and answer to the nismo GTR hope Porsche does it !
    Drop the GT2? That makes no sense.

They already have the Turbo S.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Side scoops definitely scream FI but who knows. Might be intentional, they're not above that. They might want to throw people off...also, the Turbo (I believe) uses even wider fenders than the GT3, historically the RS has been even wider than the standard GT3, so maybe they are just using some Turbo fenders roughed into place for now. Sort of makes sense. Those rear tires are monstrous...either way, I can't wait for the RS. It should be, once again, almost the perfect sports car. I don't see how it would come with a manual...I read that the PDK pump also is used for the rear steering and one other thing (can't remember)...and I can't see them taking that away as standard on the RS when it's standard on the normal GT3. Next GT2 (if it happens, although there is really very little need for it at this point) will be insanity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Side scoops definitely scream FI but who knows
    When has Porsche ever done side vents on a naturally aspirated engine?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    They might want to throw people off
    True too but how would people know this is the GT3 RS then? Based on what? I hate some of the reporting going on. If you don't know what it is for sure just say so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

with a manual...I read that the PDK pump also is used for the rear steering and one other thing (can't remember)...and I can't see them taking that away as standard on the RS when it's standard on the normal
    I've looked into this topic more as well and the car was ground up designed for the PDK. I'm going to raise hell about Car and Driver's BS reporting as soon as I can cite an official source for the GT3 RS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah that was stupid of them to say that honestly. There's no way it can happen. I mean, there is a way but it is not logical. Would kind of go against everything they're doing here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

True too but how would people know this is the GT3 RS then? Based on what? I hate some of the reporting going on. If you don't know what it is for sure just say so.
    Yeah I mean maybe since it is due to drop soon, and it has the center exhaust, along with the aero from a GT3 (kind of), it would make sense I guess. I feel like the GT2 will be a run-out special again, intro'd for the last few months of the pre-facelift 991, and then when there is a facelift, a GT2 RS for the last few months before whatever the next 911 is comes out. Just a thought. I do think a GT3 RS would look like this, minus the scoops. Unless they need more cooling to prevent fires....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Unless they need more cooling to prevent fires....
    Now there's an interesting thought.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Drop the GT2? That makes no sense.

They already have the Turbo S.
    Why not? They are getting to power levels and especially midrange torque levels where rwd can't keep up in this numbers game of acceleration/track times. You have the low TQ N/A gt3 for the purist in rwd where it's rear weight bias and fat tires can handle the n/a torque load. When your talking about new gt2 torque levels around 600 lb ft you want to be able to put it down to get the most out of the car so AWD is logical. I'm talking about something a lot more extreme then the turbo S (the turbo s is still very daily driver friendly/luxurious). Full Porsche GT RS treatment gutted out for weight savings with a roll cage in the back and everything maximized for track performance / numbers like I said mix a turbos S with a GT 2 RS that would bring the fight and stomp on the nismo gtr track edition. Makes a lot of sense in today's numbers war

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Why not? They are getting to power levels and especially midrange torque levels where rwd can't keep up in this numbers game of acceleration/track times. You have the low TQ N/A gt3 for the purist in rwd where it's rear weight bias and fat tires can handle the n/a torque load. When your talking about new gt2 torque levels around 600 lb ft you want to be able to put it down to get the most out of the car so AWD is logical. I'm talking about something a lot more extreme then the turbo S (the turbo s is still very daily driver friendly/luxurious). Full Porsche GT RS treatment gutted out for weight savings with a roll cage in the back and everything maximized for track performance / numbers like I said mix a turbos S with a GT 2 RS that would bring the fight and stomp on the nismo gtr track edition. Makes a lot of sense in today's numbers war
    Why can't a rear engine car maintain traction exactly? The Corvette isn't going all wheel drive. Ferrari didn't make the F12 all wheel drive. The Viper isn't all wheel drive. The M5/M6 aren't rear wheel drive.

Everything can't be all wheel drive it will be boring. The GT2 is a driver's car where your foot is the traction control. If you want traction above all else they have the turbo.

If the GT2 wasn't making too much power for rear wheel traction before why would it now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Why can't a rear engine car maintain traction exactly? The Corvette isn't going all wheel drive. Ferrari didn't make the F12 all wheel drive. The Viper isn't all wheel drive. The M5/M6 aren't rear wheel drive.

Everything can't be all wheel drive it will be boring. The GT2 is a driver's car where your foot is the traction control. If you want traction above all else they have the turbo.

If the GT2 wasn't making too much power for rear wheel traction before why would it now?
    Because of 600 pound foot of explosive torque?! We saw the 911 turbo beating the gt2 last gen in 0-60 so it'd be the same now. I understand your other points totally you know I'm a rear wheel drive guy we've talked about it before. Would be a good idea maybe in addition to the gt2? Something like a 991 Turbo RS for the number junkies and to put nissan in its place with the nismo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Because of 600 pound foot of explosive torque?! We saw the 911 turbo beating the gt2 last gen in 0-60 so it'd be the same now. I understand your other points totally you know I'm a rear wheel drive guy we've talked about it before. Would be a good idea maybe in addition to the gt2? Something like a 991 Turbo RS for the number junkies and to put nissan in its place with the nismo.
    Why does 0-60 even matter?

The Turbo S doesn't give up anything to the GTR as it stands.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Why does 0-60 even matter?

The Turbo S doesn't give up anything to the GTR as it stands.
    To me it doesn't but to 90% of the dopes out there it does unfortunately

well it does give up track times to the nismo gtr track edition ! 991 Turbo RS would solve that Click here to enlarge would be a great addition to the lineup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

To me it doesn't but to 90% of the dopes out there it does unfortunately

well it does give up track times to the nismo gtr track edition ! 991 Turbo RS would solve that Click here to enlarge would be a great addition to the lineup
    I'd like to see the 991 GT3 versus the GTR on a tight track...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

991 RSR

Good chance the 991 road RS is the homologation model for a new 991 race car,as GT race cars have to based on road cars...
    Last edited by S62R; 02-25-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    991 RSR

Good chance the 991 road RS is the homologation model for a new 991 race car,as GT race cars have to based on road cars...
    Ok I'll give you a nod there but when have they ever done them on a production car?

The shape of the vents even looks just like the 991 Turbo but maybe there's something to it.

That said, check out these photos that were reported as the 991 GT2: http://www.porscheboost.com/content....g-of-the-911-s

Very similar although the wing is different.

I don't think anyone but Porsche knows for sure right now but based on precedent I'm going with 991 GT2 personally. Why give the GT3 RS vents but not the standard GT3?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Ok I'll give you a nod there but when have they ever done them on a production car?

The shape of the vents even looks just like the 991 Turbo but maybe there's something to it.

That said, check out these photos that were reported as the 991 GT2: http://www.porscheboost.com/content....g-of-the-911-s

Very similar although the wing is different.

I don't think anyone but Porsche knows for sure right now but based on precedent I'm going with 991 GT2 personally. Why give the GT3 RS vents but not the standard GT3?

Think about my post above...
    Look at the air vents in the rear bumper...Click here to enlarge

This indicates n/a.
    Otherwise it would have massive openings to deal with the heat created by FI..

Why was the 997 GT3RS wider than the GT3?

Homologation road car for Cup S...

Regarding the air vents,good chance the RS engine is a close relative of the RSR(which has the side vents n/a) race engine..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    Think about my post above...
    Look at the air vents in the rear bumper...Click here to enlarge

This indicates n/a.
    Otherwise it would have massive openings to deal with the heat created by FI..

Why was the 997 GT3RS wider than the GT3?

Homologation road car for Cup S...

Regarding the air vents,good chance the RS engine is a close relative of the RSR(which has the side vents n/a) race engine..
    You're telling me the RS won't have the direct injected motor? I don't buy it. They will have the same block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast