Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

991 GT3 Deliveries Haulted due to unknown engine issues leading to multiple fires

Click here to enlarge
    The latest incident occurred in Switzerland

Porsche has reportedly stopped deliveries of the 911 GT3 after no less than five cars caught fire in recent weeks.
    When it comes to fires involving supercars, the first name that pops into our heads is Ferrari but it seems Porsche is having a similar problem with the 911 GT3. The latest incident occurred on the Wilerstrasse in Switzerland and the car was declared a total loss in the amount of 200,000 CHF.
    The driver was on the A1 highway en route to St. Gallen and heard some weird noises coming from the engine area. He decided to exit the highway and stopped the car on the Wilerstrasse. When he got out of the vehicle he noticed leaking oil and smoke coming from the back and shortly after that a fire ignited. The fire department arrived shortly and put out the flames but the car is beyond salvage.
    Another similar incident occurred just last week with a brand new 911 GT3 (driven for only about 60 km) near Avellino in Italy. At first a low oil pressure warning showed up in the display and after a few seconds the car caught fire and had the same faith as the car in Switzerland.
    A source close to Porsche has told Axis of Oversteer that the Stuttgart-based company is aware of this issue and as a consequence they have halted deliveries of the 911 GT3 until they figure out what's wrong.

Source: blog.axisofoversteer.com

Click here to enlarge

/
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This will be something that will get fixed and they will have to push the brand name even harder. Glad all the owners were fine. Would like to know what Porsche does to make the customers happy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, you wonder how this gets past prototype testing....
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know right. Must be from assembly or after

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Porsche halts 991 GT3 deliveries to potential engine issue causing cars to go up in flames

This is a very serious matter and anyone with a Porsche 991 GT3 should contact Porsche immediately. As the photos below show a brand new Porsche 991 GT3 went up in flames. The owner managed to exit the car without incident but as of right now Porsche has apparently stopped deliveries as the matter is investigated. This particular car in the photos is from Switzerland and the Swiss police report details what happened to the GT3.

"On Wednesday (02/05/2014), at 11 clock, a Porsche has caught on fire on the Wilerstrasse. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire. The car suffered a total loss in the amount of CHF 200'000. A Porsche GT3 drove on the A1 highway towards St.Gallen. When the driver perceived strange noises from the engine area, he left the highway. On the Wilerstrasse the driver stopped the car. He saw leaking oil and smoke is in the rear engine. A short time later the Porsche caught fire. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. The cause of the fire will be investigated by the Forensic Science Service of the Canton of St. Gallen police."

In the interest of safety 991 GT3 owners should park their cars for now. Apparently five vehicles have suffered this fate. Here is the perspective of the president of an Italian Porsche club from the Rennteam Forums who saw a club members car also go up in flames:

"I am the administrator of Porsche Club Campania, an Italian Porsche club.A member of our Club last Saturday was near Avellino, in the south of Italy, his gt3 was really new, just 60kms. First the warning LOW OIL PRESSURE in the display and after few seconds his GT3 was burning. The gt3 DESTROYED is now at the PORSCHE CENTER NAPOLI and this morning an engineer from Stuttgart came here to see the car. It is the 5th gt3 in Europe that burned with the same problem. It seems that Porsche already know where is the problem but I don't know if the dealer will be able to fix the problem. I will keep you updated."

Porsche has yet to officially comment on the issue and they are more than likely aware as apparently deliveries of GT3's are halted until further notice.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Source

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if that happened to me, they should re-deliver at least a gt2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no 991 GT2. You want to take a step back?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a customer who just ditched his 2013 M5 for one of these Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd still buy one. S85 has rod bearing issues, so did the S54. M156 had head bolt issues. Lots of great engines have had teething problems, and so have lots of great cars. This sucks, but I bet this is something that is out of spec by a fraction of an MM that only needs a a quick adjustment somewhere in the production process.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I'd still buy one. S85 has rod bearing issues, so did the S54. M156 had head bolt issues. Lots of great engines have had teething problems, and so have lots of great cars. This sucks, but I bet this is something that is out of spec by a fraction of an MM that only needs a a quick adjustment somewhere in the production process.
    It's nothing that they won't resolve but it's just a matter of owners being aware. I don't want anyone having their car burn down on them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I mean if this happened to me, I'd tell Porsche I want the GT3 RS..... Rumor that's been picking up some steam is that it'll be the only way to get an MT in a higher performance Porsche (Turbo/Turbo S/GT3).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I haven't seen any credence to that rumor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I haven't seen any credence to that rumor.
    Yeah that is just a rumor.

I read somewhere that the PDK hydraulic pump is necessary for other components on the GT3. Including the 4 wheel steer, which is suspected to also be a feature on the RS. So I don't really see them offering a manual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's nothing that they won't resolve but it's just a matter of owners being aware. I don't want anyone having their car burn down on them.
    No definitely not. I am very interested in how this is happening...strange noise + smoke + fire seems like oil hitting hot parts and then igniting...but how does the oil get there? I would assume the exhaust, that would be the hottest thing under there that it could get onto. I think it's pretty damn impressive that they are getting on this right away though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    No definitely not. I am very interested in how this is happening...strange noise + smoke + fire seems like oil hitting hot parts and then igniting...but how does the oil get there? I would assume the exhaust, that would be the hottest thing under there that it could get onto. I think it's pretty damn impressive that they are getting on this right away though.
    Well they haven't commented on it. I'm surprised this wasn't caught in testing. Seriously, how much harder can an owner be driving the car than the testers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well they haven't commented on it. I'm surprised this wasn't caught in testing. Seriously, how much harder can an owner be driving the car than the testers?
    Haha good point. I mean, obviously they tested the sh*t out of it, so I am surprised by this. I'd be willing to bet that it's a very isolated problem, might only affect a few engines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha good point. I mean, obviously they tested the sh*t out of it, so I am surprised by this. I'd be willing to bet that it's a very isolated problem, might only affect a few engines.
    We just don't know at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ferrari option...
    Check.