Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Focus ST impressions after a couple months

Well I have had the car for a couple months now and I think I'm due for an update. I love this car so much it is the best daily for someone that wants a sporty ride that's totally practical and fun(me lol). Everything about it is really engaging. Lead foot and I still get 23mpg+ compared to the 17-18 of the n54. Did my first oil change at 1350 miles as well as de-badge it and clay bar the whole car. I do miss the power and luxury of my n54 but I do not miss the maintenance and expensive headache it was.. The thing has an incredible turn in when going through corners and is a BLAST to hit any sort of twisties in. The turbo itself is very responsive and feels less laggy(twin scoll ftw) then the n54. It has all the power you need in the low end and honestly I probably won't do an fswerks cobb or fmic/dp till the warranty is done. I do have the cobb intake filter and it makes a great bov/wooshing noises, hoping to get an exhaust on it soon as well. Here some more pics:
    Click here to enlarge
    image search
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    screenshot
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah make sure to keep your warranty LOL. my buddy has already had to make some serious warranty claims like a new tranny, clutch, and something else major that I can't remember right now. Great thing about Cobb. Un-marry and bring it in Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats on getting the Focus ST.

Reviews have been amazing on that car. Best hot hatch you can buy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Well I have had the car for a couple months now and I think I'm due for an update. I love this car so much it is the best daily for someone that wants a sporty ride that's totally practical and fun(me lol). Everything about it is really engaging. Lead foot and I still get 23mpg+ compared to the 17-18 of the n54. Did my first oil change at 1350 miles as well as de-badge it and clay bar the whole car. I do miss the power and luxury of my n54 but I do not miss the maintenance and expensive headache it was.. The thing has an incredible turn in when going through corners and is a BLAST to hit any sort of twisties in. The turbo itself is very responsive and feels less laggy(twin scoll ftw) then the n54. It has all the power you need in the low end and honestly I probably won't do an fswerks cobb or fmic/dp till the warranty is done. I do have the cobb intake filter and it makes a great bov/wooshing noises, hoping to get an exhaust on it soon as well. Here some more pics:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im.../image_1-1.jpg
    image search
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...02/image-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im.../image_2-1.jpg
    screenshot
    I wish you made a new thread in the American cars section. Almost done with fordboost btw I got your back!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I wish you made a new thread in the American cars section. Almost done with fordboost btw I got your back!
    Wonderful! Maybe I can bring some folks over from focusst.org even though its great forum as well..
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    yeah make sure to keep your warranty LOL. my buddy has already had to make some serious warranty claims like a new tranny, clutch, and something else major that I can't remember right now. Great thing about Cobb. Un-marry and bring it in Click here to enlarge
    What year is his? 13? Im happy i didn't need to do the rear motor mount recall as they corrected it for the 2014s along with a few other first year bugs Click here to enlarge I do hear a lot about trans issues. Hopefully I got a good one lol.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wonderful! Maybe I can bring some folks over from focusst.org even though its great forum as well..
    There's always going to be great forums. Doesn't hurt to have more info. I'm just trying to build the best network of forums for car modification for all platforms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There's always going to be great forums. Doesn't hurt to have more info. I'm just trying to build the best network of forums for car modification for all platforms.
    Well it definitely shows, this will always be my favorite forums in terms of cars and modification. Thanks for the move and new thread btw!!
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well it definitely shows, this will always be my favorite forums in terms of cars and modification. Thanks for the move and new thread btw!!
    No problem. It automatically helps me as it's content for FordBoost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yup, his is a 2013.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWD is definitely fun in the twistys, esp when you have some torque and power. That car with intake, dp and tune it will really wake up. Now I really miss my cobalt ss Click here to enlarge.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    FWD is definitely fun in the twistys, esp when you have some torque and power. That car with intake, dp and tune it will really wake up. Now I really miss my cobalt ss Click here to enlarge.
    Do you really miss your cobalt? If so what do you dislike vs like on switching? Practicality? Cheap to own?

Of course if my 335i was a manual, I had a daily beater, and I didn't have as much bad luck I might have kept it.. Still not sure.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Do you really miss your cobalt? If so what do you dislike vs like on switching? Practicality? Cheap to own?

Of course if my 335i was a manual, I had a daily beater, and I didn't have as much bad luck I might have kept it.. Still not sure.
    I miss my cobalt because I could beat the living $#@! out of it and it still would be more efficient than the n54 lol. My cobalt would take lots of abuse and still be a champ. It was a much better sports car compared to the 335, but you cant compare at all for the comfort and luxury of the bmw.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I miss my cobalt because I could beat the living $#@! out of it and it still would be more efficient than the n54 lol. My cobalt would take lots of abuse and still be a champ. It was a much better sports car compared to the 335, but you cant compare at all for the comfort and luxury of the bmw.
    Not to sound condescending, but did you really just say a Cobalt is a better sports car than a 335i? Have you done any handling mods to your car yet?... i can't even fathom your statement. Just rwd vs fwd is a no brainer.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Not to sound condescending, but did you really just say a Cobalt is a better sports car than a 335i? Have you done any handling mods to your car yet?... i can't even fathom your statement. Just rwd vs fwd is a no brainer.
    lol im with ya
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    honestly, stock for stock, it's hard to argue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! yea it is. The 335 was never meant to be a sports car. Go look at some lap times with the cobalt SS on the nuremburg ring. Faster than a lot of cars on there and nearly identical to an e46 m3, even faster than an e92 335 stock for stock. I have not done any suspension mods to my 335, and I've never really done any on my cobalt either. Stock for stock Cobalt wins handling and fun factor.

Trust me man, I know it sounds weird but I'm not lying. My cobalt really shocked a lot of people. I rememeber at buttonwillow my first track event, e46 m3 and e92 m3 were having trouble passing me.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! yea it is. The 335 was never meant to be a sports car. Go look at some lap times with the cobalt SS on the nuremburg ring. Faster than a lot of cars on there and nearly identical to an e46 m3, even faster than an e92 335 stock for stock. I have not done any suspension mods to my 335, and I've never really done any on my cobalt either. Stock for stock Cobalt wins handling and fun factor.

Trust me man, I know it sounds weird but I'm not lying. My cobalt really shocked a lot of people. I rememeber at buttonwillow my first track event, e46 m3 and e92 m3 were having trouble passing me.
    I'm not saying that FWD/Cobalt's cannot be fast or sporty, i'm just taking issue with your statement that a Cobalt is a better sports car. I was rocking a B16 swapped CRX back in high school in 2002, followed by a turbo civic after that, so i know all about sporty FWD's and people discounting how fast they can be.

"The front engine, front wheel drive layout which is the most common in sports compacts and hot hatches, and cars in general, is not generally used for sports cars. This layout is advantageous for small, light, lower power sports cars, as it avoids the extra weight, increased transmission power loss, and packaging problems of a long driveshaft and longitudinal engine of FR vehicles. However, its conservative handling effect, particularly understeer, and the fact that many drivers believe rear wheel drive is a more desirable layout for a sports car count against it."
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not saying that FWD/Cobalt's cannot be fast or sporty, i'm just taking issue with your statement that a Cobalt is a better sports car. I was rocking a B16 swapped CRX back in high school in 2002, followed by a turbo civic after that, so i know all about sporty FWD's and people discounting how fast they can be.

"The front engine, front wheel drive layout which is the most common in sports compacts and hot hatches, and cars in general, is not generally used for sports cars. This layout is advantageous for small, light, lower power sports cars, as it avoids the extra weight, increased transmission power loss, and packaging problems of a long driveshaft and longitudinal engine of FR vehicles. However, its conservative handling effect, particularly understeer, and the fact that many drivers believe rear wheel drive is a more desirable layout for a sports car count against it."
    I agree with you too, but some cars are just better than others. The cobalt SS was a much better sports car than the 335, stock for stock. I would track it and canyon it with litterally no wear. The car never got hot nor had brake fading like the 335 after a few minutes of hard driving.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My 335i with no oil cooler would hit 280 degree oil temps after running it. Still haven't taken the focus up there yet, but need to do so soon.

I feel like hot hatches were just made to be beat on mercilessly. I am still blown away by the fun factor of the ST compared to the 335i. I'm sure it would be similar experience in an ms3 or cobalt ss. It makes sense because there nimble and have lighter engines and some factory performance. The 335i just felt very luxury, heavy, and refined with a bit of oomph (although the stock suspension was dead by the time I got rid of it).
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My 335i with no oil cooler would hit 280 degree oil temps after running it. Still haven't taken the focus up there yet, but need to do so soon.

I feel like hot hatches were just made to be beat on mercilessly. I am still blown away by the fun factor of the ST compared to the 335i. I'm sure it would be similar experience in an ms3 or cobalt ss. It makes sense because there nimble and have lighter engines and some factory performance. The 335i just felt very luxury, heavy, and refined with a bit of oomph (although the stock suspension was dead by the time I got rid of it).
    LOL, bro I have an oil cooler and I hit 270 on every damn canyon run after 6 minutes. The brakes are probably worse than that, after a minute that's gone. I really wanna do some m3 control arms and bushings etc with some coils, I hope that makes this car sharper.

People don't notice the little 4 bangers, esp the domestics. Do you have brembos? My cobalt was one of a kind when it came to braking, never faded even at the track.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL, bro I have an oil cooler and I hit 270 on every damn canyon run after 6 minutes. The brakes are probably worse than that, after a minute that's gone. I really wanna do some m3 control arms and bushings etc with some coils, I hope that makes this car sharper.

People don't notice the little 4 bangers, esp the domestics. Do you have brembos? My cobalt was one of a kind when it came to braking, never faded even at the track.
    They have the ST specific brakes which are big and extremely touchy on the ST. So far much better then the e90(had hawk hps). Plus they don't squeal after warming up which is a huge plus. I do hear they get a lil soft after a few track laps(fluid overheats), but its an easy fix with just using better brake fluid.

You hit 270 with oem oil cooler! That's crazy... Time for setrab addition with bms thermo
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They have the ST specific brakes which are big and extremely touchy on the ST. So far much better then the e90(had hawk hps). Plus they don't squeal after warming up which is a huge plus. I do hear they get a lil soft after a few track laps(fluid overheats), but its an easy fix with just using better brake fluid.

You hit 270 with oem oil cooler! That's crazy... Time for setrab addition with bms thermo
    I'm sure it has to be better than these brakes lol. These are horrible, I can't imagine going to an actual track day with the car like this. That car must honestly be really fun to drive.

Yep, I don't even know how it goes that far. Maybe the oil I'm using? Idk... but yea, I'm going to try the thermostat for now before dropping 1k on that oil cooler. Might even fab one for myself etc.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I have had the car for a couple months now and I think I'm due for an update. I love this car so much it is the best daily for someone that wants a sporty ride that's totally practical and fun(me lol). Everything about it is really engaging. Lead foot and I still get 23mpg+ compared to the 17-18 of the n54. Did my first oil change at 1350 miles as well as de-badge it and clay bar the whole car. I do miss the power and luxury of my n54 but I do not miss the maintenance and expensive headache it was..
    Thanks for the update - I'm strongly considering picking up a Fiesta ST.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the update - I'm strongly considering picking up a Fiesta ST.
    You won't regret it.. What ford has done with the ST line of cars is great. I was never a ford fan either. I didn't even like American cars. I really can't think of one thing I don't like about the car.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast