Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Finally Shimmed Front WG - New Rattle

So, I have about 20k km on my replacement stockers, which were replaced due to WG rattle. They started rattling pretty shortly after being installed, both tuned and on the stock map. Disappointed Click here to enlarge

Finally tore the car apart today and adjusted the rear actuator and shimmed the front one with a 0.125" washer. Got them to close at 5.7 in.hg, and put everything back together.

Good news is, tuned WG rattle is gone on both accel and decl, but the stock map seems to have worse WG rattle on decel. Did the updated turbos come with a new WG arm bushing? Did I really wear into it that much over 20k km?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's time for a single turbo bro. LOL
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, if it wasnt a money constraint I would have RBs or a small single for sure. $#@!ing wastegates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    It's time for a single turbo bro. LOL
    Problem solved. End thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Yea, if it wasnt a money constraint I would have RBs or a small single for sure. $#@!ing wastegates.
    Dont worry to much about the wastegates. Mine rattle like a maraca and it's still doing fine lol.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Problem solved. End thread.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So... the solution is new a turbo setup essentially? That's not really going to help him now.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dont worry to much about the wastegates. Mine rattle like a maraca and it's still doing fine lol.

Click here to enlarge
    Same here.. My turbos were recently replaced also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So... the solution is new a turbo setup essentially? That's not really going to help him now.
    No, AFAIK BMW changed the turbo wastegate rattle as a normal operation. They won't warranty for WG rattle anymore.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, AFAIK BMW changed the turbo wastegate rattle as a normal operation. They won't warranty for WG rattle anymore.
    Gotta love BMW.

Oh the wastegates rattle? Well let's just remove that from our warranty coverage.

Oh the pump failed? Yeah we're removing that from our coverage too. Let's just remove anything that we might have to cover.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Someone buy my car already. I need an S65.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    [QUOTE=E90Company;541066 I need an S65.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hmmmmmm....
    What? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know it's not a problem. My original turbos rattled since I got the car 6 years ago with no boost issues. It's just annoying. Espically since I got new turbos which now rattle AND howl. Oh well, just wanted to see if anyone else had any other experiences. Maybe I'll have to change stock map default WG position to a more open position via TunerPro?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You best bet is to tune around it. On a stock tune and cobb OTS maps mine rattle a good bit. On both the jb4 and PTF tune I have no rattle after adjustments.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I know it's not a problem. My original turbos rattled since I got the car 6 years ago with no boost issues. It's just annoying. Espically since I got new turbos which now rattle AND howl. Oh well, just wanted to see if anyone else had any other experiences. Maybe I'll have to change stock map default WG position to a more open position via TunerPro?

I had my twins replaced under warranty too - they also rattled and howled since day 1. Someone really needs to sell a vacuum to boost reference conversation kit for our cars. Someone with a JB4 convert the vacuum actuators to boost actuators and run Terry's Single Turbo logic. I would jump ship to a Jb4 in a heart beat if that was possible and cost effective.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I had my twins replaced under warranty too - they also rattled and howled since day 1. Someone really needs to sell a vacuum to boost reference conversation kit for our cars. Someone with a JB4 convert the vacuum actuators to boost actuators and run Terry's Single Turbo logic. I would jump ship to a Jb4 in a heart beat if that was possible and cost effective.

yea this would be ideal. the ability to run a 3-port EBCS would be a huge benefit. I wonder how difficult it would be? Could the vacuum canister be deleted then too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My 2009 535i is at the dealer as we speak, for new turbo/wastegate under warranty ... 72,000 miles. Mine were rattling like crazy, but since they were willing to replace them under warranty ... why not?
    2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 ST Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | BMS Thermostat | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
    1975 US Army (Retired)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    yea this would be ideal. the ability to run a 3-port EBCS would be a huge benefit. I wonder how difficult it would be? Could the vacuum canister be deleted then too?
    The tuning could be the difficult part, but something like the Jb4 should make it fairly simple since @Terry@BMS has already written the firmware to use a 3 port mac valve. Basically it would entail replacing the vacuum actuators with boost actuators, wiring and installing the 3 port solenoid and running the vacuum lines to reference the intake manifold for boost/vacuum. After that its plug up the vacuum ports from the stem coming off the vacuum pump (near Oil filter housing), and remove those damned vacuum canisters and oem vacuum solenoids. Voila. Sounds simple, right Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Burnie35 Click here to enlarge
    My 2009 535i is at the dealer as we speak, for new turbo/wastegate under warranty ... 72,000 miles. Mine were rattling like crazy, but since they were willing to replace them under warranty ... why not?
    I'm semi-convinced that the new turbos howl more easily so dealers can more easily identify tuned cars haha