Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ngk plug questions and misfires

background history: I have ran the ngk "1 step colder single prong" 5992 plugs gapped at .022 for about 6k miles now. I replaced the coils 5k miles ago as preventative maintenance. I run e40-e60 fuel most of the time and the jb4 g5 iso with the e85 bms back end flash. I also added meth and have run between 70-100% meth mixed with distilled water for the past 2-3k miles.

The car performed flawlessly ever since I swapped the fresh ngk plugs in and coils, but now im getting a persistent misfire on cyl 3 and 4. I pull over, clear the code with my laptop, and instantly, the car runs better. do a couple of 3rd gear pulls after that, and it pulls like a raped ape. then I park the car, start it up the following day, drive around until it warms up, and the same thing happens. I get misfire on cyl 3, misfire cyl 4, and multiple misfire codes, clear them with my laptop and then everything runs fine again. Im wondering if maybe the ngk plugs are too much for e60 in really cold weather? and if going back to oem style plugs might be better for e85 mixes since they are one heat range warmer than the ngks?

The thing about these misfires is that its never at wot. only when im at half throttle or very light throttle. weird. any ideas?
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm you should be OK with that gap, some people over-gapped them and had a tough time on cold motors. Ironically, neither of my N54s have EVER misfired under WOT (or at least a perceivable misfire). Every single time I’ve dealt with a misfire it’s been on a cold/not up to temp motor under light/medium load, usually in a higher gear like 5th or 6th. FWIW.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Hmm you should be OK with that gap, some people over-gapped them and had a tough time on cold motors. Ironically, neither of my N54s have EVER misfired under WOT (or at least a perceivable misfire). Every single time I’ve dealt with a misfire it’s been on a cold/not up to temp motor under light/medium load, usually in a higher gear like 5th or 6th. FWIW.
    Yeah I never get misfires on wot lol. only on light/moderate throttle when its really cold out and the engine isn't up to proper operating temp (in 20 degree weather with the bms oil cooler bypass mod, the engine oil barely touches 180-190 degrees when im driving around in grandma mode lol). I have a new set of ngk 5992s anyway, so if the problem persists, then ill gap them and swap them in I suppose....
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    update: gapped the new set of ngk 5992s to .022 again and installed them. car runs decent now. when these wear out, prob not going to buy another set. ill just get another set of oem plugs. the ngk's that were pulled out of the car looked like $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    update: gapped the new set of ngk 5992s to .022 again and installed them. car runs decent now. when these wear out, prob not going to buy another set. ill just get another set of oem plugs. the ngk's that were pulled out of the car looked like $#@!.
    I'm not wild on the iridium plugs. I ran a set on my car and they were shot after 3K miles of E50. OE plugs give me at least 10-15K. Maybe i'll try some copper or plat versions down the road, like the benefits of going a step colder but really not that impressed with those NGKs. My 2C.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I find the NGKs to be awesome. Power delivery is much smoother and consistant than the OEM 3-prong ones. But they do wear out faster.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I find the NGKs to be awesome. Power delivery is much smoother and consistant than the OEM 3-prong ones. But they do wear out faster.
    Id have to agree with this. Car loves this plug, but they wear out so fast, Its debatable running them. I run a high e85 mixture (e60) and methanol so octane/timing isn't really an issue in my car. It did great with stock plugs, and with the ngks, it was a tad better, but the short life span is a killer lol. stock plugs lasted twice as long (I changed my stock plugs around every 14k miles, whereas the ngks only lasted 6-7k miles.)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree the car seems to like them, which makes sense. But as Lance noted these plugs seem to get SMOKED. Mine lasted a grand total of 3.5K miles before 5 and 6 were toast, I mean totally finished. The business end was clean, no oil or excessive fouling, but it was done. That’s just too short an interval for my tastes. I’ll stick with OEM on stock frames, car seems to do just fine with those.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I agree the car seems to like them, which makes sense. But as Lance noted these plugs seem to get SMOKED. Mine lasted a grand total of 3.5K miles before 5 and 6 were toast, I mean totally finished. The business end was clean, no oil or excessive fouling, but it was done. That’s just too short an interval for my tastes. I’ll stick with OEM on stock frames, car seems to do just fine with those.
    Ditto, the coil end of the plug was fine, but the electrode end was dunzo. My car didn't misfire at all after changing the plugs, and I even had a bunch of comparision runs with zeel (a dead heat, so close!) afterward.