Close

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    123,943
    Rep Points
    34,870.6
    Mentioned
    2229 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    349


    Yes Reputation No

    How big of a difference does E85 tuning make on a naturally aspirated port injection motor? Willall Racing Porsche 996 GT3 RSR E85 tune

    E85 has a great reputation in automotive tuning due to how well performance motors respond on the fuel. E85 is often seen in forced induction and direct injection setups where its detonation resistance and cooling effects have multiple benefits. How about E85 on a high compression, high revving, port injection motor? Well the results are below show exactly that with Willall Racing doing an E85 tune on a Porsche 996 GT3 RSR GT series 3.6 liter flat-6.

    Click here to enlarge

    Keep in mind this is a race motor. However, the flat-6 used is very similar to what Porsche GT3's for street duty would see although obviously with lower redlines and associated component changes for racing. That said, what applies here woudl also apply to the very similar 996 GT3 3.6 liter flat-6 GT1 racing block based street car.

    The baseline shows 326.4 peak horsepower at the wheels. After the E85 tune this rises to 371.9 horsepower at the wheels. A gain of 45.5 horsepower as shown on the Mainline Dyno. Those are impressive gains for E85 and a tune.

    The baseline dyno shows the engine revving close to 10k rpm which drops in the tuned graph as the gear ratios also were changed. This does affect how the curve is displayed on the graph. Regardless, these are impressive results on what is already a high strung motor.

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    360
    Rep Points
    621.7
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I've always wondered about this. I guess you can run a lot more timing on E85 in an NA motor so this makes sense
    Because racecar.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    123,943
    Rep Points
    34,870.6
    Mentioned
    2229 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    349



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostedmaserati Click here to enlarge
    I've always wondered about this. I guess you can run a lot more timing on E85 in an NA motor so this makes sense
    You sure can.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    995
    Rep Points
    454.6
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Seriously...E85 is one of the best things that has ever happened to car enthusiasts...subsidized race gas, practically.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    523
    Rep Points
    261.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Seriously...E85 is one of the best things that has ever happened to car enthusiasts...subsidized race gas, practically.

    Yeah that's pretty much the best way to explain E85. It's great for performance but beyond that it's $#@!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    995
    Rep Points
    454.6
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    Yeah that's pretty much the best way to explain E85. It's great for performance but beyond that it's $#@!!
    Yeah basically. Also the fact that it is subsidized does make my blood boil. Nothing like some good old interventionist economics to mess up supply and demand. But I digress.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,254
    Rep Points
    1,901.8
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Yes Reputation No
    Only drawbacks: need an upgraded fueling system, MPG goes to $#@! (which is a problem for an enduro/track car), and you're gonna need to regularly run lubricants to protect the injectors/internals.


    Otherwise, E85 is well worth it. Basically gonna need a VP Import/C16 to get similar performance gains, and you can kiss your o2 sensors & wallet good bye with that stuff.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    8,375
    Rep Points
    4,326.6
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    44


    Yes Reputation No
    This is a surprise why? You are adding octane, cylinder cooling, and detonation resistance. Now retune with a much higher threshold for these 3 things and voila you gain HP. No magic kids, E85 isn't magic juice, its a cheaper less consistent version of Race Gas which would give you the same gains. Its just we can get it at the pump for less than premium...Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2Mile World Record: 172.94MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 847WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTBOUNTY

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    123,943
    Rep Points
    34,870.6
    Mentioned
    2229 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    349



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This is a surprise why? You are adding octane, cylinder cooling, and detonation resistance. Now retune with a much higher threshold for these 3 things and voila you gain HP. No magic kids, E85 isn't magic juice, its a cheaper less consistent version of Race Gas which would give you the same gains. Its just we can get it at the pump for less than premium...Click here to enlarge
    It's surprising because it's done on a naturally aspirated GT3 RSR that already runs race gas and it's tune only.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,254
    Rep Points
    1,901.8
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's surprising because it's done on a naturally aspirated GT3 RSR that already runs race gas and it's tune only.
    Well it's not like there are worthwhile gains with GT3 bolt-ons (especially when you consider the price of mods). If anything, this E85 retune has probably been the most worthwhile mod I've seen.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    123,943
    Rep Points
    34,870.6
    Mentioned
    2229 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    349



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Well it's not like there are worthwhile gains with GT3 bolt-ons (especially when you consider the price of mods). If anything, this E85 retune has probably been the most worthwhile mod I've seen.
    Ok?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •