Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

i cant wait for everyone to sell their c6 z06's so i can buy one for 35k.... Im excited...

I really dont like the stingray in person it just looks off to me... this z06 with z07 package (lol at that) prob looks much better and has the balls to back up the look but i still prefer a black c6 z06 with some nice light weight deep concave HRE's .... def my next car... nice NA v8 with balls...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Better video if you ask me. Cnet is on top of everything .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Great video for what hopefully will be an AWESOME car... hope it solves some of the problems the basic C7 has in "getting off the line"... have driven three (3) C7's (Level 2 and Level 3, 2 auto, 1 manual) and each had trouble getting anywhere near 4 secs on 0-60 etc....... even had a racing driver in each and the best he got was 4.1 secs
    Last edited by Group.america; 01-14-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typos
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Cnet is on top of everything .
    Give me their budget and I'll be on top of everything too. That includes the Laker girls.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Great video for what hopefully will be an AWESOME car... hope it solves some of the problems the basic C7 has in "getting off the line"... have driven three (3) C7's (Level 2 and Level 3, 2 auto, 1 manual) and each had trouble getting anywhere near 4 secs on 0-60 etc....... even had a racing driver in each and the best he got was 4.1 secs
    It's a rear wheel drive 6.2 liter V8. If it's easy to get off the line there's something wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is a good post.

They took the LT1, grabbed a cheap Eaton blower, and are sharing the 8-speed auto between the Stingray and Z06.

Chevy is doing everything they can to keep costs low and profits high. They'll get away with it too.
    I just don't want to hear about price for performance on a 100k + super car. At this price point I expect less compromises from a company that wants to be a segment leader.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gmd2003 Click here to enlarge
    I just don't want to hear about price for performance on a 100k + super car. At this price point I expect less compromises from a company that wants to be a segment leader.
    Is this forum always this good or am I delirious from lack of sleep?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Faster shifting automatic than the Porsche PDK ?? So the Z06 is getting the 8 speed ZF ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Faster shifting automatic than the Porsche PDK ?? So the Z06 is getting the 8 speed ZF ?
    It's a GM 8L90:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I want a 2015 Stingray so damned badly...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Bummer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    I am almost certain it will not be a faster "Complete Shift Time" than the top of the line PDK in the GT3 (it's direct competitor, notice they didn't say the PDK in the GT3). I am however completely certain it will not be as fun to use. Don't believe the marketing hype this transmission was chosen to save money not to improve performance or driving experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

It's a rear wheel drive 6.2 liter V8. If it's easy to get off the line there's something wrong.

Traction kid, traction and all that jazz Click here to enlarge
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I don't understand what PDK they are benchmarking it against.

It can't have the next gear pre-selected.

Either way though it seems the 8-speed will provide the best performance on the C7 for now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

This is a good post.

They took the LT1, grabbed a cheap Eaton blower, and are sharing the 8-speed auto between the Stingray and Z06.

Chevy is doing everything they can to keep costs low and profits high. They'll get away with it too.

the LT4 isnt just a blown version of the LT1....its basically the same as the differences between the LSA and the LS9...and this time the compression is different and the crank is also different as the LSA and LS9 had the same one
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    the LT4 isnt just a blown version of the LT1....its basically the same as the differences between the LSA and the LS9...and this time the compression is different and the crank is also different as the LSA and LS9 had the same one
    Of course the compression is different or else why even bother calling it an LT4? It's just a lower compression LT1 what are the other major differences? The crank?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    LT4 Engine’s Chief Engineer Hints More Power Is Coming

Click here to enlargeThe 2015 Corvette Z06 features an all-new LT4 engine. The supercharged, 6.2L V-8 will deliver more than 625 horsepower, and 635 lb-ft of torque.

The estimated 625-horsepower figure quoted for Chevy’s new 6.2-liter supercharged LT4 at the Detroit Auto Show unveiling of the upcoming 2015 Corvette Z06 is likely to spiral upwards when the final production model hits the dealerships early next year, according to the engine’s chief engineer.
    “We fully expect to beat that number, but we came up with a safe estimate for the show,” boasts Jordan Lee, program manager for GM’s small-block program, also noting that the estimated 634 lb-ft of peak torque should escalate, as well.
    The LT4 not only sports a new Eaton supercharger model, but nearly every standard Corvette LT1 engine component was modified, massaged or updated to support the power and packaging goals of the LT4 powertrain team.
    Click here to enlargeThe new LT4 engine will power the 2015 Corvette Z06.

“The challenge for us was to add 160-plus horsepower but not get any bigger [than the LT1],” Lee tellsEngineLabs. “As remarkable as the LT1 is in power density, the LT4 beats it in droves.”
    Click here to enlargeHere’s how the LT4 looks in the Z06 engine bay, zans a few plumbing items.

The LT1, of course, is first of the Gen V small-block engines to hit the market in the new C7 Corvette platform. As EngineLabs demonstrated in previous stories covering the engine’s introductionand an in-depth analysis of the combustion strategy, the LT1 is one of the smallest and most compact engines in the world that is capable of 460 horsepower naturally aspirated. GM wanted to ensure that the engine package didn’t inflate so the Corvette could be offered for sale in Europe.
    “We ended up about an inch taller only in the back where the supercharger has an airflow path into the intercooler,” says Lee.
    Key to the success of adding boost was working with airflow analysis and development engineers at Eaton to improve the supercharger’s efficiency, even though the blower is smaller than what GM utilized on the Gen IV LS9 engine found in the previous C6 Corvette ZR1. That 6.2-liter engine was rated at 638 horsepower at 6,500 rpm with 608 lb-ft peak torque at a stump-pulling 3,800 rpm.
    “The LT4 supercharger is 85mm shorter in height than the one on the LS9, and it weighs 20 pounds less,” says Lee.
    Eaton rates the new R1740 TVS supercharger at 1.7-liter, which means it moves that much air with each revolution of the rotors. The previous LS9 supercharger was rated at 2.3-liter.
    “We shrunk the capacity down to 1.74 liter,” says Lee, “but we wanted the same airflow characteristics. So we had to spin the supercharger faster.”
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    The LT4 will weigh close to the LS9 engine, left photo, that powered the previous-generation Corvette ZR1. That engine used a larger 2.3-liter Eaton supercharger, shown on the right.

The LT4 blower will spin up to 20,000 rpm, compared to the LS9 that maxed out at 15,000 rpm. The smaller rotors also help the supercharger get up to speed quicker, which should boost power earlier in the rpm band.“We worked a lot of the efficiencies through the supercharger to make sure the airflow was up to the quantity levels needed to make the power,” says Lee.
    As with the LS9, there is an air-to-water intercooler integrated into the cast-aluminum intake manifold. But unlike the LS9, the new setup features a clamshell core design with turbolator fins inside the water path compared to a traditional tube with aluminum vanes for the core.
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    The Eaton twin-vortices TVS superchargers are designed with unique 4-lobe, Roots-style positive-displacement style rotors that feature a 160-degree helical twist for improved efficiency with less noise. They will be spinning up to 20,000 rpm on the 1.7-liter version found on the LT4 engine.

“It’s a very efficient intercooler,” says Lee. “It’s about 23 percent less volume but has 10 percent improvement in heat-rejection efficiency. It’s probably not thee inches long in length but reduces the temperature of the inlet charge by 150 degrees.”
    Adding more air requires additional fuel. The Gen V engines feature direction injection with high-pressure feeds coming from a cam-driven fuel pump.
    Click here to enlarge
    A cutaway of the new LT4 was on display at the Detroit Auto Show where the Z06 announcement was made. It’s shown next to a mockup of the 5.5-liter Gen V engine that powers the next C7.R race Corvette.
    “The biggest challenge was the fuel pump itself,” explains Lee, noting that other exotic DOHC powerplants have up to four pumps to serve the fuel system. “With only one pump we had to increase the size and displacement to handle 625-plus horsepower worth of fuel.”
    GM increased the piston size in the pump but didn’t have to change the tri-lobe cam design that drives the pump. Fuel pressure in the lines was increased — the LT1 fuel system operates at nearly 2,200 psi, but no figures were given for the LT4 — and the cylinder heads received larger injectors. The LT1 cylinder ports didn’t need any additional breathing room, but a lighter titanium intake valve was preferred, and the LT1 cast piston was swapped for a forged version that offers a lower 10:1 compression ratio (the LT1 was 11.5:1).
    “The 10:1 is till relatively high for a boosted engine,” says Lee, adding that max boost levels will be around 9.5 psi. “We also optimized the camshaft to get the torque and power curves we wanted. The lobe centerline spacing and lift profile are a little different from the LT1.”
    The LS9 was also equipped with titanium intake valves as well as titanium connecting rods.
    “We didn’t need titanium connecting rods to get the balance we required on the LT4,” counters Lee.
    Click here to enlargeThe LT4 features dry-sump oiling, and the oil cooler has been enlarged over the standard Z51 option setup.

In addition to the forged pistons, GM did beef up the entire rotating assembly. The crank is forged with a higher strength steel alloy than the LT1, and the connecting rods are fully machined.
    “We added a lot of extra machining on the flanks for light weight,” says Lee. “Also, we annodized the lands on the piston and went with a PVD-coated ring. Finally, the piston pin has DLC coating to handle the extra temperature and pressure.”
    Additional durability measures include constructing the cylinder heads with Rotocast A356T6 aluminum and casting the exhaust manifolds out of stainless steel.
    Overall, the engine weight will come close to the LS9.
    “The 20-pound decrease in the weight from the supercharger offsets the weight from the additional technologies like the DI pump, the cam phaser and AFM. We’ll end up with an estimate round 240 kilograms (529 pounds), which is where the LS9 came in.”
    Finally, GM officials refused to speculate on the future availability of an LT4 crate engine when reminded that the LS9 eventually became part of the Chevy Performance catalog. But Lee does offer a reassuring hint: “We pride ourselves on making the small-block available to the aftermarket.”

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

^^this

Of course the compression is different or else why even bother calling it an LT4? It's just a lower compression LT1 what are the other major differences? The crank?

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Sounds like it's going to be a SICK motor. I can already see the warranty claims from people driving manual cars hitting the money shift.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I doubt it will be much over $80k, if that. Chevy says the price of the new Z06 will be comparable to the old one.

With regards to the lack of DCT, the lead engineer says they couldn't find one that will hold the torque and still fit in the rear transaxle area.

source for both: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...irst-look.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    With regards to the lack of DCT, the lead engineer says they couldn't find one that will hold the torque and still fit in the rear transaxle area.
    That's a fair point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

MOREEEE!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    I doubt it will be much over $80k, if that. Chevy says the price of the new Z06 will be comparable to the old one.

source for both: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...irst-look.html
    Im pretty sure the Getrag that porsche uses in the 911 turbo S would fit Click here to enlarge . Certainly the one from the 918 would . They couldn't find a cheap enough DCT to fit in the rear transaxle that can handle the torque. With any options the current Z06 was in the 90's I'll believe 80 k on the Z06 when I see it . What's the excuse for the undersized blower , paired with a 25% smaller intercooler than the ZR-1 which already is known to heat soak on track . Im so tired of all these car companies marketing media BS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The engineer also said this ...... "Plus, he says, the torque converter improves drivability when in four-cylinder mode, which allows more aggressive cylinder deactivation."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The engineer also said this ...... "Plus, he says, the torque converter improves drivability when in four-cylinder mode, which allows more aggressive cylinder deactivation."
    Yes, this as well. And I was just thinking about it this morning. Why do traditional automatics suck? The torque converter. Spooling up a torque converter makes response sluggish. That's why MB went to a multiplate clutch in the AMG models. If the Z06 has a beefy enough lock up clutch in the torque converter, however, they could basically lock it up any time in sport/race mode.

As far as shift speed, I believe you can make an automatic shift very quickly, but most autos are designed for "normal" drivers, who don't want to feel any shifts. How does a DCT shift? It has two gears engaged simultaneously, and depressurizes one electrohydraulic clutch while applying pressure to the other one. How does a traditional automatic shift? Every gear has an electrohydraulic clutch. With the proper design and calibration, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to match a DCT in shift speed.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast