Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Audi reveals the gorgeous new interior of the upcoming third generation 2015 TT - Fully electronic instrument cluster

Last month AudiBoost posted spyphotos of the next generation Audi TT testing. The car looks great but as spyphotos usually go interior details are not visible. Well, Audi in a bit of a surprise move revealed the interior design early at CES (Consumer Electronics Show). Audi has a reputation for stellar interiors and the new TT certainly does not disappoint in this area. The leather is beautiful along with the quality of the accents and it is interesting to see Audi is going to a fully electronic gauge setup.

Not being able to see a needle manually sweep past numbers on the tach seems to a lose a classic design element. Maybe it is just nostalgia playing in here but it feels like something is lost. Regardless, expect to see most manufacturers go this route as cars continue to evolve into sophisticated computers.

The aftermarket will no doubt come up with creative ways to mess the screens and gauges despite the protections Audi puts in. It also begs the question as to how long until people start designing viruses specifically to wreak havoc with the MPH shown, mileage, fuel left, etc. This is the future though and there is no denying the beauty of the setup.

Press release below.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Ingolstadt/Las Vegas, 2014-01-07

Puristic, sporty and clean Audi to present its new TT interior at the CES

-- New, slimline instrument panel with driver-focused display
    -- Audi virtual cockpit and new MMI focus on intuitive use
    -- Member of the Board of Management for Technical Development Prof. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg: "Enabling the driver to experience technology"

Puristic, sporty and fully focused on the driver for the new TT, Audi is significantly advancing its interior design. At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas held from January 6 through 10, 2014 the brand with the four rings will, for the first time, be presenting the compact sports car's new interior, which will be launched on the market in the course of the year.

As Prof. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, Member of the Board of Management of AUDI AG for Technical Development says, "The first Audi TT was the design icon per se, the second generation was even sportier, right through to the TT RS plus with its five-cylinder TFSI and 360 hp. And with the new Audi TT, the driver will be able to experience the technology to an even greater extent just as would be expected from a genuine sports car. And it comes with a new generation of electronics and connectivity features."

For this reason, the Audi virtual cockpit is the focus of attention for the first time in one of the brand's production models. The fully digital instrument cluster displays all the information directly in front of the driver, meaning that there is no need for a central MMI monitor. This solution gave the designers the freedom to slim down the instrument panel architecture such that it visually conveys the Audi lightweight construction principle.

With its clear lines and innovative operation, the interior of the next TT generation has been redesigned from the ground up. From above, the instrument panel resembles an airplane wing; set low and with a turbine look about them, the round air nozzles, a classic TT feature, are reminiscent of jet engines. The controls for the air conditioning are also housed in the vents the adjustment functions for seat heating, and for the temperature, direction and strength of the flow of air are located in their axes, with small displays indicating the chosen setting. Located beneath the central air nozzles, the switches for the hazard warning light and the secondary functions are centrally positioned and easily accessible.

With its brilliant graphics with a 3D impression and highly-detailed effects, the Audi virtual cockpit with its 12.3-inch TFT monitor sets new standards. Drivers can switch between two display modes. In the classic view, the speedometer and rev counter are in the foreground, while in "infotainment" mode, the virtual instruments are smaller. The space that is then created offers ample display space for functions such as the navigation map.

All elements of the new Audi TT operating concept are focused on the driver. The compact sports car's new multifunction steering wheel features a flat-bottomed rim, with aluminum-look clips framing its spokes. The buttons and controls on the spokes allow you to control almost all functions, including the ultra-modern infotainment system. The menu is structured to reflect that of a smartphone and includes a full-text search function (MMI search). All the main functions are just a few clicks away the entire operation superbly conveys a new kind of "joy of use". The MMI terminal on the center tunnel console, the second control unit alongside the steering wheel, has also been exhaustively redeveloped. Thanks to the MMI touch, the driver can scroll and zoom in lists and on maps. And accessing other options has been simplified; in future this will be possible using just two rather than four buttons in the area surrounding the rotary pushbutton.

The innovations in the Audi TT interior include the S sport seats with their significantly curved side bolsters, the integrated headrests and the low seating position typical of a sports car. The slender character of the seats is emphasized by bezels on the flanks of the backrest and a cover on the back; the backrest is adjusted using a loop. The side bolsters of the S sport seats can be adjusted pneumatically.

With its clear, sharp lines, the interior as a whole perfectly expresses the new Audi TT's sporty nature. The center tunnel console, that supports the lower leg when driving fast through a bend, and the door panels boast flowing mutually-reinforcing contours. All the details highlight Audi's attention to quality from the design of the gear knob and the precise functioning of the rotary pushbutton to the Audi virtual cockpit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is sick. I love the GPS in the cluster, perfect place for it. The air vents look huge and should be more flush with the dash imo. I hope they put in a heads up display that is optional and configurable.

I will miss analog gauges but not for long Click here to enlarge
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's different, looks pretty good, just not sure how I feel about the vents. Really like the dash, it's just what we've seen coming for the past few years from different manufacturers, gauges are ok, hopefuly customizable as they look small. Definitely not the first to have a full screen gauge cluster, and knew this would start coming from more manufacturers. Realistically BMW could have easily moved the screen in the e9x 3 series to the gauge cluster location and just integrated gauges into it

I still prefer this though....lol

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I will miss analog gauges but not for long
    There's just something about analog gauges...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love the idea and design but imho having the gps in the cluster is a recipe for more accidents. Would you feel safe if some lost idiot was staring down it their cluster and eyes off the road? Even if its for a second an accident can occur.
    08 335i | Space Gray | Burl Walnut Wood Trim | Sport pkg | Premium Pkg | LOGIC7 | Navi | Comfort Access

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very impressive. To me the current Audi interior designs have gotten stale over the last few years. it's nice to see them take a huge step forward with this one. I agree there's something to be said for analog gauges, but we all know they're all needles being controlled by the ECU. I think the display resolutions are now such that the virtual dash won't seem so obsolete as quickly as in the past with some nav/audio displays. Hopefully they will put some effort into keeping older models fresh with revised displays over the lifespan of the car.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There appear to be more settings for this dashboard. You apparently can also sitch to the classic cluster setup if you want to.
    This is "just" the infotainment setting displayed here.
    I think this looks awesome, but some numbers in the speedo ring woold have been nice.
    If the screen handling is sharp there is no added value in analog meters at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pho_e92 Click here to enlarge
    Love the idea and design but imho having the gps in the cluster is a recipe for more accidents. Would you feel safe if some lost idiot was staring down it their cluster and eyes off the road? Even if its for a second an accident can occur.
    How is it any different than having it in the middle of the car where you can't even see it clearly....

I love this. It's amazing, I can't wait till this roles out to all the models. The HVAC controls are genius, I must confess that I've never thought of that. Very good job. I too love analogue needles more than anything. I think the current BMW setup is the best compromise if you like that...big LCD panel but with mechanical needles. This design would have been cool with that but I can get over the fact that it isn't. Now this puts the A8 in the awkward position of having a way-outdated infotainment system, despite being the flagship.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    How is it any different than having it in the middle of the car where you can't even see it clearly....
    Exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pho_e92 Click here to enlarge
    Cuurent gen VW and I believe Audis already have directional cues in the center clusters on GPS equipped vehicles. While this is much nicer, it's not entirely new and I haven't heard of an increase amount of accidents due to the cues.

Besides everything is so voice heavy nowadays you rarely have to look.