Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Would there be a market for an M3 wagon/touring model based on the F80 M3 platform? Rendering

With the reveal of the F80 M3 digital artists everywhere fired up their photo editors and started tinkering with the design. Here is one such result where a graphic artist imagined the new F80 M3 as a wagon. BMW obviously is trying to do as many variants of models as possible to increase sales but BMW has never sold an M3 wagon. The result of the rendering below should definitely have somebody at BMW paying attention to the idea.

With the split between the F82 M4 and F80 M3 BMW clearly is already making sure to create models aimed at different markets. The reality is the GT models have failed thus far and a performance wagon would be an enticing option especially considering the lighter weight of the F80 platform.

Yes, wagons tend to not be popular in the USA but it's difficult to argue against the daily utility and func factor this car would offer in an appealing package. Readers should at least be able to agree this vehicle would be more desirable than the failure that is the 550GT.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You know me I'd gladly rock a wagon. M3 wagon would be cheaper than Mercedes-BenzE63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon; which no one can apparently get their hands on it America. Besides i'm assuming the new m3/m4 should be running low 12s and it is also substantially lighter than the MB. so possibly half the value and almost as quick. I could save the rest of the money and then tune the $#@! out of it when the aftermarket comes forward!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    Besides i'm assuming the new m3/m4 should be running low 12s and it is also substantially lighter than the MB. so possibly half the value and almost as quick.
    Plus better handling and it has a dual clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Interesting since BMW axed the M5 wagon for the F1x chassis.... Not sure if there's more of a market for a 3 or 5 series M Touring. I do know LTBMW has done a true M3 wagon with their widebody kit, was a little over the top for me but def had curb appeal

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

100% serious:

Click here to enlarge

I'd have a deposit down the day after they announced this car.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

For some reason, I'm starting to like high performance wagons a lot lately. I would definitely would not be ashamed to own one. I think they look sick. How is the weight difference? From let's say a E9x 3 series wagon to a sedan?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    For some reason, I'm starting to like high performance wagons a lot lately. I would definitely would not be ashamed to own one. I think they look sick. How is the weight difference? From let's say a E9x 3 series wagon to a sedan?
    A penalty in the ~200 pound range.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I dig it
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Interesting since BMW axed the M5 wagon for the F1x chassis.... Not sure if there's more of a market for a 3 or 5 series M Touring. I do know LTBMW has done a true M3 wagon with their widebody kit, was a little over the top for me but def had curb appeal

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...kuxlarge-5.jpg
    nicest BMW ive ever seen ...... ok maybe not the nicest but i would def rock that proudly
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'd put a bumper sticker and put it over the rear wheel well and it'd say "If you can read this you're losing to wagon!"

I raced a purple E36 m3 that had a bumper sticker in that same location and it read "If you can read this you're losing to a purple car!" It was awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Guys come down here to see BMW wagons and you will change your thoughts of owning one, once i pay off my 335d Im planning on either the VW AMAROK (if it ever comes!!!) or the 3 Series touring DIESEL!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Guys come down here to see BMW wagons and you will change your thoughts of owning one, once i pay off my 335d Im planning on either the VW AMAROK (if it ever comes!!!) or the 3 Series touring DIESEL!!

onisyndicate I like that ! I might put it on my 335d bumper!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Think E63 AMG wagon and CTS-V wagon. Why wouldn't there be a market for it. Sporty wagons are becoming much more popular here in the US lately and have always been prefered over SUVs in Europe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

The only thing is you can't tow as much with a wagon compared to an SUV.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Think E63 AMG wagon and CTS-V wagon. Why wouldn't there be a market for it. Sporty wagons are becoming much more popular here in the US lately and have always been prefered over SUVs in Europe.
    Because they're used to be an M5 Wagon and it's been discontinued
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

This is interesting - especially after Albert Biermann just mentioned there might be an M7: http://wot.motortrend.com/1312_m_div...build_one.html

I would think that the M7 would sell very little, where a wagon M3 or M5 would likely get more sales. I sometimes wonder what BMW is doing/what their master plan is.

I like the idea of having a true M3 wagon if it's done right - to me that's not really diluting much of the brand, it's more when I hear about an M7 limousine that gets me wondering what they are thinking.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If wagon ever shows its tail it will not be for US. The reason why wagons are more popular elsewhere is because of fuel cost and image (not cool in US and almost same as a minivan). Wagons are more efficient and can fit as much stuff as an SUV, minus of course towing and off road capabilities (maybe subaru can be an exception?). In other words function over form, but in US that was not the case as fuel cost was lower, although it is catching up. Saving fuel was not an issue before as gas was cheap, and you could drive your pickups or semis daily to work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

i'd save up my pennies for one for sure, i would have loved to have gotten a 335 touring over the 135, purely for major cools... but they're rare as hens teeth Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

It's pretty awesome how good the M3 looks as a wagon though. Almost as if it was meant to be.