Close

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,670
    Rep Points
    31,505.9
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    532 wheel horsepower GTI? No problem, CTS GTX3071 Turbo kit on a MKVI GTI tuned by GIAC puts down impressive power

    Great results here from a MKVI Volkswagen GTI. The car features a turbo kit from the friendly Canadians over at CTS Turbo. This car was put together by E&A Autosport which is located in Israel. The CTS Turbo kit features a Garrett GTX3071 billet ball bearing turbocharger. On 93 octane fuel plus meth injection the car put down an impressive 532 horsepower to wheels in STD correction. Tuning was done by GIAC based out of Irvine, CA.

    It would be great to get more details on this car and how they addressed the fuel system as well as transmission (DSG car) but the numbers are simply incredible.

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Points
    5,690.9
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Cool, really interested in their fueling mods... Could be tuned a little better, that's some horrible lag for a turbo of that size. It should be fully spooled by 4k or less, not 4.6k

    Looked on APR's site. They have a turbo kit with the same size turbo, actually not even a GTX series. The APR turbo kit should spool slower than this Giac kit. Sadly, it doesn't. It spools faster, even faster than I thought it would. 3.5k rpm full spool with that size turbo is pretty nuts.

    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,670
    Rep Points
    31,505.9
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Keep in mind the load on the dyno will affect spool I'm not too familiar with the one they used.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Points
    5,690.9
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Keep in mind the load on the dyno will affect spool I'm not too familiar with the one they used.
    You're 100% correct. That can be a big variable. It looks the like those guys in Israel are using the same type of hub dyno APR uses. Still though, you're right I guess.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    57
    Rep Points
    61.7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi,
    that dyno is the Dynapack hub dyno

    im located in Israel and live near that tuning shop.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,670
    Rep Points
    31,505.9
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tamut Click here to enlarge
    Hi,
    that dyno is the Dynapack hub dyno

    im located in Israel and live near that tuning shop.
    Hello and welcome.

    Is this your car?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If its got built internals they may have gone too low with the compression.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    978
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    If its got built internals they may have gone too low with the compression.
    Generally speaking these engines only need rods, and APR does vend specific pistons for these engines, so there is a small chance the compression went down, but still possible if they didn't use stock pistons.

    also just to clarify some things in this thread. TSI engine in Israel (and most of the world) are a bit different than the engines found in North American TSI engines. Notably they have different HPFP than us, their stock ones can be upgraded and even in stock form they flow much more than ours. IIRC this car has a LPFP and stock HPFP and most likely injectors. Also, I believe the ROW heads are different than ours, along with the ECU. Basing that assumption off of the fact that if we were to retrofit a ROW HPFP we would need at a minimum a new ECU and head.


    this car should have slicks on it soon and then off to the strip.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    978
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Cool, really interested in their fueling mods... Could be tuned a little better, that's some horrible lag for a turbo of that size. It should be fully spooled by 4k or less, not 4.6k

    Looked on APR's site. They have a turbo kit with the same size turbo, actually not even a GTX series. The APR turbo kit should spool slower than this Giac kit. Sadly, it doesn't. It spools faster, even faster than I thought it would. 3.5k rpm full spool with that size turbo is pretty nuts.

    Click here to enlarge
    take their graphs in their site with a grain of salt.
    Here is one recently posted by a APR Australia running their gt30 kit


    Click here to enlarge

    And here is a state side car running race on the gt30
    Click here to enlarge


    The gtx turbo is hitting peak tq much sooner. Also, op dyno was on 98 octane

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Points
    5,690.9
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^^^ Wish I could rep you more. Damn I have been out of the VW scene lol.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Generally speaking these engines only need rods, and APR does vend specific pistons for these engines, so there is a small chance the compression went down, but still possible if they didn't use stock pistons.

    also just to clarify some things in this thread. TSI engine in Israel (and most of the world) are a bit different than the engines found in North American TSI engines. Notably they have different HPFP than us, their stock ones can be upgraded and even in stock form they flow much more than ours. IIRC this car has a LPFP and stock HPFP and most likely injectors. Also, I believe the ROW heads are different than ours, along with the ECU. Basing that assumption off of the fact that if we were to retrofit a ROW HPFP we would need at a minimum a new ECU and head.


    this car should have slicks on it soon and then off to the strip.
    Didn't know that about US HPFP. What rail pressure do the run?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    57
    Rep Points
    61.7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hello and welcome.

    Is this your car?
    Hello Sticky!

    it is a buddies car, personally i drive an E82 135i n55 car.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Points
    5,690.9
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tamut Click here to enlarge
    Hello Sticky!

    it is a buddies car, personally i drive an E82 135i n55 car.
    Haha, perfect then. Tell your buddy to sign up and post pics and info of his car. And you should also be doing the same LOL
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    978
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Didn't know that about US HPFP. What rail pressure do the run?
    they actually run at the same pressure. Depending on load we're somewhere between 60-150bar

    A lot of it comes down to the ECU, unfortunately these engines have one of the most complex ECUs out there.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    they actually run at the same pressure. Depending on load we're somewhere between 60-150bar

    A lot of it comes down to the ECU, unfortunately these engines have one of the most complex ECUs out there.
    Why do you say that? The mapping looks pretty straight forward to me.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    978
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Why do you say that? The mapping looks pretty straight forward to me.
    Not sure what your history is but have you worked with the Bosch MED17 ECU that comes in the TSI before? Every person who I know that's tuned them all says it's one of the most complicated ECUs they have tuned. I'm no tuner so I can't give first hand experience, just going off of what tuners say and give examples on.

    I mean sure there is Eurodyne that some people self tune, but not many of those out there as you can't really get into it like a flash tune from APR GIAC UNI REVO.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what your history is but have you worked with the Bosch MED17 ECU that comes in the TSI before? Every person who I know that's tuned them all says it's one of the most complicated ECUs they have tuned. I'm no tuner so I can't give first hand experience, just going off of what tuners say and give examples on.

    I mean sure there is Eurodyne that some people self tune, but not many of those out there as you can't really get into it like a flash tune from APR GIAC UNI REVO.
    I have been around the tuning block a bit.

    The known drivers for the TSI are very similar to the TFSI in terms of changes that can be made. I have posted some pics below of what maps you can access (ignore the TFSI 210cv as thats what my software suite recognizes the file as). There was a challenge with ECU access over the OBD that was overcome and VW started a new tuning protection system that is sorted as well. No real challenge in my opinion just tuners and their $$$$$.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    495
    Rep Points
    252.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    hmmm would that work on the A3?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    978
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I have been around the tuning block a bit.

    The known drivers for the TSI are very similar to the TFSI in terms of changes that can be made. I have posted some pics below of what maps you can access (ignore the TFSI 210cv as thats what my software suite recognizes the file as). There was a challenge with ECU access over the OBD that was overcome and VW started a new tuning protection system that is sorted as well. No real challenge in my opinion just tuners and their $$$$$.
    firstly, just to clarify, I wasn't challenging your knowledge on the subject, was honestly unsure of your experience with these engines. I apologize if my initial post came off as such.
    Secondly: "just tuners and their $$$$$" yes, I fully agree.

    now moving on...
    When was the OBD encryption overcome? Last I heard we are still flashing TSI engines in the MK6 by cracking open the ECU. Though as mentioned in previous posts there are some differences between the NA ECU and the ECUs found in the rest of the world (Such as your location)

    I've never seen any programming application for these ECUs (what are you using by the way?)
    So I can only go off of what I find looking around some debates between tuners. in these debates I hear them discussing things like torque models, compressor models, and turbine models with loads all intertwined making that one hurdle for tuning. i also heard there is a substantial amount of German language to work through.


    $#@! I for one would love to know if i can get a tune that limits boost and torque in first gear though.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    231
    Rep Points
    306.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    WTMFMF!?!? WHY DO I HAVE A BIGGER TURBO AND KEEP KETTING TOLD I CANT REACH 500!?!?!

    Well not bigger but its a gtx3076r and I has meth, all be it the tank isnt filled yet.

    End rant. That is still bad ass non the less but damn i hate him. . . sort of, more jealousy I think.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,906
    Rep Points
    3,915.7
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1Zed4 Click here to enlarge
    WTMFMF!?!? WHY DO I HAVE A BIGGER TURBO AND KEEP KETTING TOLD I CANT REACH 500!?!?!

    Well not bigger but its a gtx3076r and I has meth, all be it the tank isnt filled yet.

    End rant. That is still bad ass non the less but damn i hate him. . . sort of, more jealousy I think.
    Um, GTX3076R's are proven to support 600 WHP when pushed hard, just do google search for GTx3076R 600WHP you will see a lot of dyno's with the 3076 available I would never go with a 71, you lose no spool at all as the turbine wheel stays the same, but you gain a lot more room to grow and push with the bigger comp wheel. The GTX3076R is my favorite turbo in the garrett midrange line up.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    231
    Rep Points
    306.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Im the only know I know of running that turbo on an FSI engine. Might need to put a little fire under my tuner's back side then!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    firstly, just to clarify, I wasn't challenging your knowledge on the subject, was honestly unsure of your experience with these engines. I apologize if my initial post came off as such.
    Secondly: "just tuners and their $$$$$" yes, I fully agree.

    now moving on...
    When was the OBD encryption overcome? Last I heard we are still flashing TSI engines in the MK6 by cracking open the ECU. Though as mentioned in previous posts there are some differences between the NA ECU and the ECUs found in the rest of the world (Such as your location)

    I've never seen any programming application for these ECUs (what are you using by the way?)
    So I can only go off of what I find looking around some debates between tuners. in these debates I hear them discussing things like torque models, compressor models, and turbine models with loads all intertwined making that one hurdle for tuning. i also heard there is a substantial amount of German language to work through.


    $#@! I for one would love to know if i can get a tune that limits boost and torque in first gear though.
    No offense taken. Just saying.

    The short cuts posted basically open individual maps. There is a co-relation amongst many of them so having their locations does not make it a walk in the park. The screen shots are from Alientech's ECM Titanium software.
    There is torque limitation per gear although I am not sure how it will work as I only have experience with a Golf R where it is not needed.
    A tool I know that can flash the MED17 found in VW is the CMD made by Flashtec so they are available.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •