Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2003-2008 Subaru Forester XT, anyone own or driven?

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a SUV/SAV or cross over for my wife to drive and have more space to lug the new born around in.

I came across a Subaru forester XT with the 2.5l turbo within our price range/budget with less than 100k miles on it. I did a quick Car and driver review and found out that thing runs a 13.8 stock and gets 20 mpg on average. I'm not worried about MPG cause she barely drives and it'll be an City errand car and long distance.

But after seeing the 1/4 mile time and hows its a smaller turbo/intercooler and detuned wrx engine. I really jumped into the aftermarket capabilities.

I found a forum post where a guy went from 176 awhp/ 172 awtrq to 267 awhp/302 awtq for less than 3k in parts and doing some swapping out.

rough calculator time would mean lows 12s with that car!

Has anyone own or driven an actual forester and what did you think or like about it?

If you've owned one what were the "quirks" about owning it?

I also hear Subaru can last forever, but also true with any car that is properly maintained!

It is an older family that is selling the car so I don't think it was hot rodded to much! LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My family owns this car. There is considerable NVH, and it really does not feel that quick. Then again it is an auto and has no mods. Also, we have had an issue with the rear driveline making noise. Something about a seal in the diff, although this could be partly due to my father and I hooning about in the snow/mud alot Click here to enlarge. Cost was about 1500 to fix when all said and done and I still hear the noise (metallic grinding sound) albeit much quieter and only under deceleration.

All and all its not a bad car, just make sure you get a well optioned one, otherwise the interior not only feels cheap, but it has no amenities. Some of the interior plastic moving parts are showing considerable signs of wear after 80k miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

They're surprisingly quick... and you can definitely mod them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well it's raining today so i'm not going to test drive it. But when the weather clears up i'll go look at it and see if its worth what he's asking.

Thanks guys for the info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I used to drive a WRX, same engine with XT, until every kids want to race me at redlights. As u pointed out its very mod friendly. When I traveled for biz back in the days, I always wanted the XT: drive fast and decent handling no matter weather condition, especially when it rains :-)

Speaking of which I still have the access port from Cobb that I used on my 02 wrx back then if u re interested.

Here is 11sec wagon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Stupid phone won't let me paste...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

TY guys, I went out and saw the car and sorta test drove it. It was defiantly not running right and had a really loud tick. Which explained why it was cheap, it also had hail damage and I think at one point in time had been in a undisclosed wreck that was never reported.

I will keep looking for that type of car cause the more i research and see reviews on it. The more I want one for myself and family.

Plus in the grand scheme of things in 2004 a bmw m5 run the 13.01, SS trail blazer ran a 13.9 and the SRT 8 run a low 13 also for ALOT more money! I could have a SUV that could compete will all of those vehicles for a fairly cheap price and later on down the road murder American muscle cars that are obtainable to the general public!

I'd be very content and happy with a high 11s to low 12s second XT.

Thanks for all the input in the advice. Just need to find the right XT to pull the trigger on!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good buddy of mine has an STI he's upgrading that is running the 2.5L he said I could use his old parts that'll he no longer be needing. Hmm defiantly need to get an XT now!