Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Anyone have experience with the 2013+ RS5?

As winter approaches and the prospect of looking at my Cayman sitting inactive for several months, I'm looking to get back into an AWD vehicle and prefer to stay with an NA motor instead of turbo or S/C options. After looking over all of the options, I've narrowed down to two; the 991 Carrera 4S and the Audi RS5. The C4S is currently a six-figure car, and it will be several years before they depreciate, so I'm focused on the RS5. My plan is to do a 2-3 year lease on the Audi, and then pick up a C4S after their depreciation brings them into my price comfort zone. If I absolutely love the Audi, then I'd just purchase at the end of the lease.

None of the local dealers have a car for me to view/drive, so I'm asking local owners for a drive or ride-along. In the meantime, if anyone here has any personal experience with the car, I'd appreciate your insights.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

The RS5 is a beautiful car inside and out. A little heavy and some will say under powered but it's seriously more than fast enough.

Nobody here has one... but it seems to fit the bill for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah, the weight is a concern, and what I really what I want to answer for myself is how bad the understeer is. The sport diff is supposed to alleviate this to a great degree. I'm not a drag racer, so ultimate power isn't my goal, and my modestly powered Cayman is already plenty to get cited quite easily. I spent an hour listening to exhaust videos last night and I don't think that noise would ever get old.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My brother in law has a RS5. I have be lucky to put a lot of miles on it myself. He also has a C63 sedan. Start off by saying the RS5 is a beautiful car. The interior is miles ahead of my M3 and the C63. The car is quick, I wouldn't say fast. But only in dynamic mode. When you have the car in comfort mode, it feels slow for some reason. You can get around this by just driving in dynamic mode all the time, but to be honest the upshift and downshift blips get annoying. Imagine in stop and go traffic the exhaust is constantly farting. The RS5 needs a setting between the two. In dynamic the shifts speeds are easily comparable to the DCT. I never pushed the handling to the limit, but fairly aggressively. RS5 is very tight, the quattro is confidence inspiring. It definitely is no 991 4S when it comes to handling. Since you are looking for an AWD normally aspirated car, you don't have too many choices. Make sure you go on a long test drive, try all the modes. For what its worth, my brother in law is about to trade his in after 8 months of ownership. He has been eyeing a couple S6's.

Here is his ibis white RS5 on Morr Forge VS54.

The wheels are for sale if you get an RS5.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

@BlackJetE90OC thanks for the reply and info. This is exactly the sort of response I was looking for. I don't spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic, so the exhaust farts aren't much of a concern. But I can see how they could get to be silly when you're trolling along at 30mph and you keep getting braaaap when you have to stop.

Beautiful shot of the car on those Morrs. I'm between Ibis white and Suzuka Grey as far as color preference. Looks like that car is dropped - can you tell me the setup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    @BlackJetE90OC thanks for the reply and info. This is exactly the sort of response I was looking for. I don't spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic, so the exhaust farts aren't much of a concern. But I can see how they could get to be silly when you're trolling along at 30mph and you keep getting braaaap when you have to stop.

Beautiful shot of the car on those Morrs. I'm between Ibis white and Suzuka Grey as far as color preference. Looks like that car is dropped - can you tell me the setup?
    It is dropped on H&R OE sport springs. 20x10.5 all around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I own an S5, and have test driven the RS5. I was disappointed in the power of the car, but I know it's because of the altitude I live at (1800m ASL), so the car loses a lot of power. The car felt really heavy, pull off, stopping, turning corners, etc. As you've already stated, the sound is fantastic, it's even better in person!

Why are you opposed to a forced induction car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
    I own an S5, and have test driven the RS5. I was disappointed in the power of the car, but I know it's because of the altitude I live at (1800m ASL), so the car loses a lot of power. The car felt really heavy, pull off, stopping, turning corners, etc. As you've already stated, the sound is fantastic, it's even better in person!

Why are you opposed to a forced induction car?
    thanks for posting, especially about the heaviness of the RS car compared to the S5 and effects of altitude.

I'd prefer to stick to NA, after owning 5 cars concurrently with boosted motors before my Cayman. A high-revving NA motor is much more exciting than a turbo motor, even though it may give up some power. However, having discussed this with locals with RS5s who live 3,000ft lower than me, and now with your feedback as well, I think I'm going to have to scratch the RS off due to the weight of the car and lack of power at altitude.

The decision is now between the 3.0 TFSI S5 and the CLA45 AMG. Spec'd out to my taste, the two cars are within $1k of each other. Annnnd, I just got an email with a $500 credit towards a new BMW. Sheesh. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

thanks for posting, especially about the heaviness of the RS car compared to the S5 and effects of altitude.

I'd prefer to stick to NA, after owning 5 cars concurrently with boosted motors before my Cayman. A high-revving NA motor is much more exciting than a turbo motor, even though it may give up some power. However, having discussed this with locals with RS5s who live 3,000ft lower than me, and now with your feedback as well, I think I'm going to have to scratch the RS off due to the weight of the car and lack of power at altitude.

The decision is now between the 3.0 TFSI S5 and the CLA45 AMG. Spec'd out to my taste, the two cars are within $1k of each other. Annnnd, I just got an email with a $500 credit towards a new BMW. Sheesh. Click here to enlarge
    Those are two great choices. Take a look at the numbers I just posted on a GIAC modified S5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Honestly good call. I was going to mention the S5, but didn't want to start the S5 vs RS5 debate. Similar to 335i vs M3 debate...it just gets old. The same day I went with my brother in law to test drive the RS5, we drove a new S5. Misano red with black leather/alcantara. In this case the S5 was a bit of a surprise, we drove it after the RS5. I personally liked the S5, basically same interior and to me it felt just as quick. Even more so, just driving it leisurely. I suggested the S5, but my brother in law is the type that has to have the top model. Do I personally think the RS5 is worth another $16k, no not really. Price difference is even more considering it is a lot easier to work a deal on the S5. If you value the slightly more aggressive styling of the RS5 and the high revs, then an RS5 is the ticket. Otherwise save some cash and get the S5.

Not sure if you are an Audi Club member, but you get 6% off msrp plus any other current incentives. There is also a Audi Supplier discount, same 6% off msrp. RS5 you would be lucky to get $1k off msrp. It doesn't qualify for any programs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    The same day I went with my brother in law to test drive the RS5, we drove a new S5. Misano red with black leather/alcantara. In this case the S5 was a bit of a surprise, we drove it after the RS5. I personally liked the S5, basically same interior and to me it felt just as quick. Even more so, just driving it leisurely. I suggested the S5, but I brother in law is the type that has to have the top model. Do I personally think the RS5 is worth another $16k, no not really. Price difference is even more considering it is a lot easier to work a deal on the S5. If you value the slightly more aggressive styling of the RS5 and the high revs, then an RS5 is the ticket. Otherwise save some cash and get the S5.
    This, I'd suggest test driving them both. The power delivery from the S5 is great, and with just a tune, you're looking at almost the same HP as the RS5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adrenacide Click here to enlarge
    The power delivery from the S5 is great, and with just a tune, you're looking at almost the same HP as the RS5.
    If not more...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Honestly good call. I was going to mention the S5, but didn't want to start the S5 vs RS5 debate. Similar to 335i vs M3 debate...it just gets old. The same day I went with my brother in law to test drive the RS5, we drove a new S5. Misano red with black leather/alcantara. In this case the S5 was a bit of a surprise, we drove it after the RS5. I personally liked the S5, basically same interior and to me it felt just as quick. Even more so, just driving it leisurely. I suggested the S5, but my brother in law is the type that has to have the top model. Do I personally think the RS5 is worth another $16k, no not really. Price difference is even more considering it is a lot easier to work a deal on the S5. If you value the slightly more aggressive styling of the RS5 and the high revs, then an RS5 is the ticket. Otherwise save some cash and get the S5.

Not sure if you are an Audi Club member, but you get 6% off msrp plus any other current incentives. There is also a Audi Supplier discount, same 6% off msrp. RS5 you would be lucky to get $1k off msrp. It doesn't qualify for any programs.
    Tried to +rep you but I need to spread the love.

thx for the tips on club discounts! I'll definitely check in to that. I think with the better supply of S model cars, I'd be able to do the Costco pricing as well, which is usually at or just above invoice on the car and options.

Totally agree with your assessment on the RS vs S. As much as I love the aggressive looks and high revving v8, a near invoice S5 makes a lot more sense price-wise vs full MSRP RS.

I meed to to find a CLA to check out. Seems like the S5 will have lots more headroom for tuning in the motor than the M-B. But as this is a lease car, I'm not going to go too crazy with mods anyway. I think the cheapness of the CLA interior may swing things towards the Audi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Tried to +rep you but I need to spread the love.

thx for the tips on club discounts! I'll definitely check in to that. I think with the better supply of S model cars, I'd be able to do the Costco pricing as well, which is usually at or just above invoice on the car and options.

Totally agree with your assessment on the RS vs S. As much as I love the aggressive looks and high revving v8, a near invoice S5 makes a lot more sense price-wise vs full MSRP RS.

I meed to to find a CLA to check out. Seems like the S5 will have lots more headroom ok in the motor than the M-B. But as this is a lease car, I'm not going to go too crazy with mods anyway. I think the cheapness of the CLA interior may swing things towards the Audi.
    I saw a CLA on the road for the first time yesterday. The car is pretty damn nice...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I saw a CLA on the road for the first time yesterday. The car is pretty damn nice...
    Yeah, styling wise I think the CLA is a total hit. Better than the S5 for sure, at least through online pics and video. And the optional Recaros in the AMG... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Yeah, styling wise I think the CLA is a total hit. Better than the S5 for sure, at least through online pics and video. And the optional Recaros in the AMG... Click here to enlarge
    They're both great. It's a good time to be a car enthusiast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sooo, this was just posted on the Cayman forum:

Click here to enlarge

I just ordered snow tires, and will target having a ~360 whp (at altitude) Cayman next spring. I've always wanted to do this mod but never could lay hands on the dyno data. This solves that, and I think is an impressive result for a motor with 100k on the clock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

CLA is very unique. I have seen one CLA250, but it didn't have the sport package. When will the CLA45's start hitting dealer lots? The black optics package on the S5 looks really good, especially on a black car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Sooo, this was just posted on the Cayman forum:

Click here to enlarge

I just ordered snow tires, and will target having a ~360 whp (at altitude) Cayman next spring. I've always wanted to do this mod but never could lay hands on the dyno data. This solves that, and I think is an impressive result for a motor with 100k on the clock.
    Can I get more details on this?

There have been some issues with the TPC turbo kits.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Can I get more details on this?

There have been some issues with the TPC turbo kits.
    Here's the original thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/tpc-turbo-ki...-makeover.html

The vast majority, and certainly most public, of the issues with the TPC kit are from owners who install on the 987.2 DFI motors. Not exactly what I'd like to see, but since I've got a 987.1 I'm going forward with the plan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Here's the original thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/tpc-turbo-ki...-makeover.html

The vast majority, and certainly most public, of the issues with the TPC kit are from owners who install on the 987.2 DFI motors. Not exactly what I'd like to see, but since I've got a 987.1 I'm going forward with the plan.
    With a 987.1 I think you are fine. You are quite correct it is the direct injected motors that tend to show issues with the kit. Lovely thing that direct injection, isn't it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

CLA is very unique. I have seen one CLA250, but it didn't have the sport package. When will the CLA45's start hitting dealer lots? The black optics package on the S5 looks really good, especially on a black car.
    There's a lot of mixed info on the CLA45. They are being delivered now in Australia and other countries. Most US delivery dates are coming up in November.

for the S5, definitely black optics. The CLA has a similar option called Night package that blacks out all the chrome and front lip and rear diffuser. Car looks so mean with that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Lovely thing that direct injection, isn't it?
    Yeah... $#@!ed up fuel pumps, carbon build up, a $#@! to tune aftermarket... It's a real step forward.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Yeah... $#@!ed up fuel pumps, carbon build up, a $#@! to tune aftermarket... It's a real step forward.
    And these people tell me I don't get how awesome it is...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

S5 exhaust note any good?

Being interested in AWD and (preferably) a naturally aspirated/proper sounding V8 for my next vehicle - and leaning CPO RS5 - can anyone comment on sound of the SC'd 3.0 liter S5?

I mean, not totally obsessed with V8s (OK, kind of; can't hide that picture below)...............but like the new M3/M4, the sound is important. Seems the M folks have ensured that from a Bruno Spengler prototype test-driving video.

And yes, the S5 exhaust note can be addressed via the aftermarket, but if that's the case? Might just say just gimme the CPO RS5 - provided the sport exhaust package can be included.

Not to mention, why does Audi make the RS so comparatively WAAAAAAY overpriced when brand new? Yes, we like 'em, but damn! $10Kish over an M3 or C63? Chile please. Trying to push me to a CLA45?

Of course, could also source the old nice sounding 4.2 version of the S5, but the idea is to get R8 tuned version with a more insane, AMG or Roush Mustang-like exhaust note.

Anyway, all comments either way are much appreciated. I know, ought to get over my V8 issues, right? True; when gas hits $8.00 a gallon. Maybe.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast