Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting the cold start

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Deleting the cold start

So i'm picking up my M this sunday, and my only thing i'm not excited about with this car is how loud it is on cold start.

The car already has a Fabspeed Xpipe with HFC's and Eisemann Race exhaust with connecting pipes. It sounds amazing most of the time but at cold start it makes to much noise for my tasteClick here to enlarge When I went to test drive the car, we started it up in the garage and it sounded absurd..

So.... if i delete the cold start, does it cause any issues? My understanding is the cold start is there for emissions reasons, to heat up the stock cats faster and not hurt the environment. Since the stock cats aren't on the car, i really don't need that feature anymore.

But what about warming the engine, fluid flow, etc..... does the cold start have any benefits other than emissions?

Evolve Supercharged ///M3
    **Evolve E600 kit for sale, pm me for details**

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    congrats on picking up the M. How long until it sees boost? DCT or Manual?

I am going to mail you that speed pass I swear. I have to find where I put it. I'll try and get it out asap.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Its a dct....and i'm hoping it sees boost in the spring/summer of 2014 but we will see! No big deal on the ez pass, i'll be looking for it in the mail!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

no issues, ive had it off since evolve n/a tuned, couldn't live without that deleted. your issue is going to be that you have a bpm tune on the car already, so you need whatever cable they used and go back to stock and purchase new, or contact the thief and hope he doesn't charge you another $1000 for it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no issues, ive had it off since evolve n/a tuned, couldn't live without that deleted. your issue is going to be that you have a bpm tune on the car already, so you need whatever cable they used and go back to stock and purchase new, or contact the thief and hope he doesn't charge you another $1000 for it
    How about if I just get a evolve tune and get rid of this bpm tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    How about if I just get a evolve tune and get rid of this bpm tune?
    have to go back to stock file first as it may not be able to read it, which is why its important for you to get cable from previous owner.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

have to go back to stock file first as it may not be able to read it, which is why its important for you to get cable from previous owner.
    Yep, that's how it was with my cobalt too. I had to get another file and cable to flash it to stock before I can tune it with another program. It's a $#@! but it has to be done. And the cold start delete is the best thing ever made...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Ok I hope he has it...thanks for the heads up

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When ever I see someone post how bad ass they think the cold start sequence sounds, I just think to myself, how could one think it sounds that good? To me it sounds like the worst exhaust leak at the headers I've ever heard. I've actually had people ask me if something was wrong with my car.

If it only happened during an actual cold start, I could probably live with it but since it does it every time you start the car, it has to go.

To each their own I guess.

GL OP with getting your tune issue sorted out.

-Nick
    2010 Melbourne Red E92 M3 / DCT / 220M / CF Roof / Premium / Assist / BT / PDC.

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Completely agree with this. When I was looking at mine at the dealer, I thought it had an exhaust leak at the header; I even made the dealer cut the price based on that assumption (plus 'bad' brakes) because it sounded so much like one. And it does it everytime the car starts, not just a cold start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Completely agree with this. When I was looking at mine at the dealer, I thought it had an exhaust leak at the header; I even made the dealer cut the price based on that assumption (plus 'bad' brakes) because it sounded so much like one. And it does it everytime the car starts, not just a cold start.
    Could even be a minor leak! Gaskets suck ass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Haha. I had the salesman cut the price also because of the cold start sound it was making. Gotta love none BMW dealers, lol

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e46m3to335i Click here to enlarge
    Haha. I had the salesman cut the price also because of the cold start sound it was making. Gotta love none BMW dealers, lol
    Mine also had jittery brakes at about 40mph; just some improperly bedded pads; fixed that easy. I told him $1500 for the front rotors alone, etc and the car had been on the lot for 60 days and they couldn't figure out why. They were practically begging me to take it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

^^^Gotta love a good steal. Cold start/higher than normal RPMs start cycles serve no other purpose then heating up the cats to an optimal efficiency temperature. Some people love the rough/aggressive startup of the S65 when it's combined with an aftermarket exhaust, but if you wanna scrap the Cold Start cycle it won't have any positive/negative impact on the car or performance. Ironically enough, mechanically it'll probably be better for the motor since a Cold Start cycle holds a non-"normal" (vs. idle) RPM for an extended period while the motor is not under load.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

It sounds terrible but I didn't even think there was a way to delete it???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It sounds terrible but I didn't even think there was a way to delete it???
    100% sure that it can be done. BPM has it listed on their E9x M3 coding/tuning options and LM had it on his Evolve N/A + Supercharged tunes
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

I don't really know BPM but I'd be interested in doing this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

It's an easy thing to do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can only be tuned out correct? Cant be coded out right? At least, this is what Alex told me when he coded my GTS flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I'm sure gintani can do it. I'm getting it done ASAP, I don't feel like waking everyone within 100 yards every time I start my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yeah it's something done via flashtune, I think nearly any tuner can do it including the supercharged tunes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

It is a function of the ECU so needs to be done as part of the ECU tune. Can not be done via coding.

Sticky - Gintani should be able to do this for you.

We can over write a read protected tune. We would just flash a stock file over it and then load our tune in over that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve Click here to enlarge
    It is a function of the ECU so needs to be done as part of the ECU tune. Can not be done via coding.

Sticky - Gintani should be able to do this for you.

We can over write a read protected tune. We would just flash a stock file over it and then load our tune in over that.
    This is good news because i'm screwed with this tune. The previous owner says he mailed his ecu into Powerchip (bpm), not sure how that works but bascially I can't go back to stock. I would rather be comfortable with this tune and also delete the cold start. I'm going to call ACM today and see if we can work something out. @Imran@Evolve - Thanks for the info! I'm going to switch to your tune.

I'm loving this M3, i totally get what everyone is talking about.....I can't stop driving it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    This is good news because i'm screwed with this tune. The previous owner says he mailed his ecu into Powerchip (bpm), not sure how that works but bascially I can't go back to stock. I would rather be comfortable with this tune and also delete the cold start. I'm going to call ACM today and see if we can work something out. @Imran@Evolve - Thanks for the info! I'm going to switch to your tune.

I'm loving this M3, i totally get what everyone is talking about.....I can't stop driving it.
    Have to say the M3 is the pick of the bunch out of the Evolve cars too. Especially when boosted ;-)

If it was Powerchip then it would have been mailed to them. They did not have remote tuning for the M3 when they shut down. It won't be read protected either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve Click here to enlarge
    Have to say the M3 is the pick of the bunch out of the Evolve cars too. Especially when boosted ;-)

If it was Powerchip then it would have been mailed to them. They did not have remote tuning for the M3 when they shut down. It won't be read protected either.
    Thanks for the info... I'm going with your tune, cold start delete of course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast