Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xenon help!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

xenon help!?

low beam finally went out for good. popped off the cover, and there is a little white 5 pin connector loose. yellow silver brown and white. any clues?

pics arent working.

thanks
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

You're welcome.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorry I didnt have more detail. Hands were dirty and i was loosing light. I just put it back together for now, and will get back to it tomorrow. Is there supposed to be a loose little white connector? with a yellow,brown, silver, and white wires.
    The low beam went out a few times in the past after going over a bump. But now it is out out. Could that connector be it? I didnt have enough time to get the bulb out to check it (becausee im dumb and couldnt get it out quick enough.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Moved to 3-Series -> E9X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I was just messing with you earlier. I have no idea what's going on but I have a feeling I need to be watching this thread closely. For the last 2 years I noticed my lowbeam HID has been....wobbly, I would notice the line where the light meets the darkness and it wobbles like crazy, it's definitely not normal, and only one side is doing it. The other thing is that the right one flashed off and on a few days ago and the dashboard told me to fix it. I didn't. It fixed itself but I know it's only temporary. Somebody please help him out, and in turn you will be helping me out.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This wouldn't be the first time i have found loose wires and later found out they were supposed to be there loose (for one reason or another)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

bump

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Need a picture. FWIW I just replaced my D1S's and did not notice any loose wiring in the area. But there is only one wire that goes to the bulb, and the rest of the circuitry pertained to the active headlight assys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

bump.

I tried to load a picture, but it wouldn't work. I will try again tonight, the photos are on my tablet at home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The cable wiring on your car is a standard wire tree that has connectors for various options that may or may not be present on your car.
    So all around your car when digging into the system you may find connectors that are not attached to anything.
    If you can not find a slot where the connector fits into you most likely do not have that option installed on your car. No need to worry.

By the symptoms it seems most likely either your Xenon bulb went out or the electronics feeding the high voltage gave up.
    It happens.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Somebody please help him out, and in turn you will be helping me out.
    A wobbly light normally means1 of 2 things. A dirty positioning sensor (first do a connector check for corrosion) or a broken wire/bad connection on the servo motor. Check both.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    The cable wiring on your car is a standard wire tree that has connectors for various options that may or may not be present on your car.
    So all around your car when digging into the system you may find connectors that are not attached to anything.
    If you can not find a slot where the connector fits into you most likely do not have that option installed on your car. No need to worry.

By the symptoms it seems most likely either your Xenon bulb went out or the electronics feeding the high voltage gave up.
    It happens.

A wobbly light normally means1 of 2 things. A dirty positioning sensor (first do a connector check for corrosion) or a broken wire/bad connection on the servo motor. Check both.

David thank you. That's what I thought. I will confirm this tonight by switch the bulbs from left to right and vise versa.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    the photos are on my tablet at home.
    Why kind of tablet is it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why kind of tablet is it?
    Motorola Xoom. Something about the photo not being the correct dimensions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

You are not the only one with this problem. I'll have to resolve it since it's not easy for you to resize on the tablet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

ALSO, washed the car today before seeing some clients, and now I have an ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHT failure warning light. Are the issues related? Or two separate things? Possible condensation plus a bad bulb/control unit? Or a damn loose connector?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd wager that the two issues are connected since it happened after the wash. Do you have any condensation in the housings?
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Found the plug for the connector, AND switched the bulbs, driver to passenger, etc.
    STILL passenger side isn't working. So that rules out the bulbs...
    What next?

I did see a little condensation , but the adaptive headlight warning thing hasnt come back on. That makes me think there is a small leak in the headlight itself, but is fine (for now) after it dries out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

adaptive headlight warning came back on this morning. So even after finding the spot for that wire, and swapping the sides of the bulbs/ignitors, still no xenon on the passenger side.

So next step is to remove the bumper and switch the xenon module? or the ballast? or are those the same thing? I'm still kinda confused.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I'm confused too. Hell of a headache.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm confused too. Hell of a headache.
    Yes sir it is. So to try and confirm, this headlight set up has a DS1 Bulb/ignitor together, a xenon module, and what else???
    I know a shop here in town will swap out the module for me (because I'm not going to take the bumper off, it will take me WAAAAY longer than it should) I just want to exhaust all options before paying someone to fix it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Surprised I didnt see this thread sooner. First off, it could be several things, but active headlamp errors means you either have a bad/broken wire or the adaptive motor is shot. If that is the case you will be replacing the headlight. 1-series are quite common with this.

I had an issue once with no power being supplied to the headlight. Found a broken wire up near the coolant bottle (where the harness goes). You need to check to see if you have power at the headlight connector first to see if it is a chassis problem or a headlight issue. If the harness is good, the problem is in the headlight and most likely you will be paying a shop to pull the bumper and the headlight to inspect it as it is a lot easier that way. Just bite the bullet and do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

"Just bite the bullet and do it."
    I was afraid of that, but that's what I have been thinking.

All the wires are wrapped up so I can't really see them, but I will check again before I make an appointment. It would make sense though if it is a wire, since it originally went out then came back on after hitting a bump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

@I6+TT=FTW would you please try it again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

@I6+TT=FTW would you please try it again?
    I can try again another time. The tablet is at home and I won't be there for awhile. Plus the photo i was trying to load, no longer need help with that since I found the plug for the loose wire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I can try again another time. The tablet is at home and I won't be there for awhile. Plus the photo i was trying to load, no longer need help with that since I found the plug for the loose wire.
    I understand I just want to make sure I resolved the image uploading issue for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast