Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question My experience with Bimmerboost Flash

In a nutshell: "Failed to write ECU Unable to authenticate with control module"
    What should I check next?
    --------------------------------------
    I thought it might be cool to walk through what the process could be like for those looking to do the same thing. I got my BT cable yesterday, so I was excited to jump into this.

Cable was very good quality compared to my cheap coding cable, and I got it 1 day from Bavarian Technic. Because, it shipped out of Bend which is about a 3 hour drive from me. After messing with the BT software. I decided It was time to read my ECU. I still have my 2007 battery, so Just to be safe I hooked up the battery charger to trickle charge.

I plugged in the cable and ID'd the ECU, 12.12 volts, and started the read. The computer seemed to be sitting at step 1 of 3 for a while so I stepped away, so I would not feel the need to mess with it. By the time I came back it was on step 3 of 3, so that was good.

I'm not sure whats with my computer, but the read took over 3 hours to read! I did get the success though. Good thing I had that charger. I'm using a 2 GHz, 2mb ram, core 2 duo laptop that works great for my inpa coding. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I could see both cores were consistently above 80% usage during the whole read.

Next I came in the house and patched the ecu file with an xdf. BimmerBoost flash says I have software 0I8A0S, and I used an I8A0S xdf. I confirmed it patched correctly by looking at the fuel bank. saved it. Called it a night.

After work today I did a couple base pulls on the iPhone Dynolicious app for a base metric, and came home to load the new bin file. Unfortunately this is where i'm stuck

I ID the ECU good, and the file validates successfully but every time I attempt to write ECU it fails.
    "Failed to write ECU Unable to authenticate with control module"
    I've read through what I think is most of the flash threads on here including the alpha ones. but i'm not finding anything with tips on what to check or try next.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just as some general advice, if a read takes more than around 70-80 minutes there is some issue on the communications side. Most likely with your laptop. I would guess the delayed communications are preventing the write from starting. And good thing, its not likely to finish if it keeps timing out. If not a laptop a piggyback system out on the BUS could also cause these sorts of delays. As could a DME previously flashed with another system that is blocking the write command. Like Dinan, GIAC, etc.

Generally if you need assistance I think your best bet is going to be to first post a screen shot of the error message. And then to post the LOG file in the BB flash folder. I'd suggest deleting the file, opening the software, and recreating the error, so you have a smaller LOG file. It's additive and stores everything since inception with the BB tool.

On the BBF version I'm working on we'll make the time out user adjustable and I'll have it start a new flash log each instance. But there are some other changes I'm testing so it's not ready for sharing yet.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Firstly, do you have a second computer?

Secondly, let us see your log. It should be in the same folder as your bimmerboostflash.exe

EDIT:

Thirdly, anyone whose write took a long time like that, the file was no good. I'm going to assume this was an MSD81 CAN session?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Firstly, do you have a second computer?

Secondly, let us see your log. It should be in the same folder as your bimmerboostflash.exe

EDIT:

Thirdly, anyone whose write took a long time like that, the file was no good. I'm going to assume this was an MSD81 CAN session?
    MSD80, he said it was I8AOS
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys are Quick!

I should have known there was a log file in there. I have cleared it. and re-created it with just a ECU Check and the failed write.

The care has no previous flash as far as I know, but I'm the second owner. BT tool ID'd my module as MSD80, I assume that is also the CAN session?

Files here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyosg874gzetvah/vIwXQ0y82M

You guys Rock!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I'll have another laptop to try tomorrow. It is a core i5, and I'll read the ECU again before I attempt to write it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Try it on the other laptop and let's see.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ForTheD Click here to enlarge
    You guys are Quick!

I should have known there was a log file in there. I have cleared it. and re-created it with just a ECU Check and the failed write.

The care has no previous flash as far as I know, but I'm the second owner. BT tool ID'd my module as MSD80, I assume that is also the CAN session?

Files here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eyosg874gzetvah/vIwXQ0y82M

You guys Rock!
    Thats the end of your log? The 31 07 at the end of your log is the request to enter programming mode. You should get an 71 07 reply, but the log just stops.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Try it on the other laptop and let's see.
    There may be some timing bug with the 2007 KLINE models, we'll have to check some more logs to better determine that, but the only requests for help I've seen to date with the software have been KLINE cars and in every single instance, maybe 10 cases, installing a real 10-20amp charger has resolved it. The KLINE runs through a gateway that shuts down around 11.5v. The write process pulls 30amps on some cars. More if you have a larger fuel pump. So that voltage drops like a rock quickly during full writes.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    There may be some timing bug with the 2007 KLINE models, we'll have to check some more logs to better determine that, but the only requests for help I've seen to date with the software have been KLINE cars and in every single instance, maybe 10 cases, installing a real 10-20amp charger has resolved it. The KLINE runs through a gateway that shuts down around 11.5v. The write process pulls 30amps on some cars. More if you have a larger fuel pump. So that voltage drops like a rock quickly during full writes.

This. Just because your car seems to operate fine, remember that the car actually targets 13.8v. Very funny stuff occurs when the voltage gets low, especially after a long read.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    This. Just because your car seems to operate fine, remember that the car actually targets 13.8v. Very funny stuff occurs when the voltage gets low, especially after a long read.
    Voltage is a simple and easy to identify issue. The KLINE gateway we're reading through shuts down at ~11.5v. That's just how it works. And its very easy to get that battery voltage below 11.5v especially on older batteries. I think what most people fail to understand is battery chargers are rated in amps. A 2-6 amp charger on a system pulling 30 amps is like no charger at all. A 10-20amp charger will probably get you there. I run a 40amp charger here. I think it was $50 at Harbor freight.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Voltage is a simple and easy to identify issue. The KLINE gateway we're reading through shuts down at ~11.5v. That's just how it works. And its very easy to get that battery voltage below 11.5v especially on older batteries. I think what most people fail to understand is battery chargers are rated in amps. A 2-6 amp charger on a system pulling 30 amps is like no charger at all. A 10-20amp charger will probably get you there. I run a 40amp charger here. I think it was $50 at Harbor freight.
    I should have said, the system is operating at much higher than the 11.xv mentioned earlier. The draw on the system as you mention is the measurement that really matters.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For me anyway the bottom line here is I think the fuel pump is pulling most of this current and there is no reason for the fuel pump to have to run during a write. It just happens to click on full when we disable network traffic. We need to find out what that is and circumvent it. I've tried sending out the manual kill command but it just ignores it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have read two 2007 cars with KLINE and original battery. no battery charger needed ( risky but that's how I roll Click here to enlarge ) no problems what so ever. My computer is a cheap HP mini netbook nothing fancy good enough to log the jb4 and flash with the BB Flasher.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Marz Click here to enlarge
    I have read two 2007 cars with KLINE and original battery. no battery charger needed ( risky but that's how I roll Click here to enlarge ) no problems what so ever. My computer is a cheap HP mini netbook nothing fancy good enough to log the jb4 and flash with the BB Flasher.
    Wrote also? If so I'm impressed. The write is normally the problem as we don't disable network traffic on reads. Click here to enlarge

I use a $200 WalMart netbook also. Works fine. Laptop speed is not an issue in my experience but drivers can get messed up, the laptop can interfere with FTDI communications, etc, and then that will cause problems. Trying another PC as a diagnostic step is as much about starting with a clean environment than anything else.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup it wrote and everything. Flash complete. @Terry@BMS
    my netbook was cheap too $200 years ago from HP website

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For me anyway the bottom line here is I think the fuel pump is pulling most of this current and there is no reason for the fuel pump to have to run during a write. It just happens to click on full when we disable network traffic. We need to find out what that is and circumvent it. I've tried sending out the manual kill command but it just ignores it.
    Why not pull the fuse?

I got my BT cable and I really need to mess with this but I've been having other problems that need addressed first. My build date is 10/06.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWIW, I read and wrote on Kline but didn't want to risk it and hooked up battery charger on a trickle charge during the read/write process. I had no issues whatsoever.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine wouldn't work without being on a charger. I had it on 30A charge to keep the voltage above 13..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My friend and I read his 07 K car last night. Read took 1hr 47mins. Battery voltage was not reported properly before the read.

We had a 6 amp charger connected during the entire process.

We were able to start a write after some tinkering (cycling ignition on and off, disconnecting, reconnecting BT cable), but it failed after about 25 minutes. We left the battery disconnected over night and will attempt a write again today with a more powerful charger connected.

I have logs of everything if anyone is interested in them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Read and write without issues 2 cars 2007 k-line. Read was 61 min, first write was 10 min. Every write after that took 1 min and 10 seconds.
    Batery charger was conected, 2006 old Laptop Fujitsu Core2 Duo 1,8 GHz, 2 GB RAM.
    E90 335i 6MT
    JB4 G5
    FBO + Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What impacts the read and write times so greatly? Trying to determine why my friends car took almost 2 hours to read, it was estimating nearly the same amount of time for the first write (before it failed)!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    man you K-line guys got it rough. I thought my 78 min read time and 30 min full write times were bad on D-CAN.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    KLINE is technically supposed to be faster. It's possible there is some bug floating around in the KLINE protocal within the software but it works perfectly on so many cars we've not come to that conclusion. Anyway, even the KLINE cars get it working, eventually. I have noticed its normally the cars that don't show a voltage that have headaches.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My KLINE read in less than an hour. Also full writes take a little under 10 minutes. I do have fails, especially without a battery charger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast