Close

Thread: Idrive gauges?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Idrive gauges?

I have no experience with writting codes and all that, but it would be nice to be able to select and view gauges on the idrive screen. There's already a plug and play mod to get video to display on the idrive screen so it would seem that all we need is a module to take the info from the obd port and transfer it to video out. It would be awesome to be able to display 4-6 user selectable gauges much like these handheld units that are out on the market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Someone would have to create a module for this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe you would need something such as TVandNav2Go (or you might be able to code it), so you could display it on the iDrive while driving.
    You would also need something for output, such as a computer running OBD-II monitoring software to display the information. Even then, you could not modify any inputs through iDrive and the setup is messy. So there is no ideal setup unless someone much smarter than I can make a module.
    If someone invented this I'm sure they would make a lot of money Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

This is honestly a really cool idea and I would like to make it happen. Maybe a side project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like someone tried and gave up. It's still a bit over my head.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AU0ZrNTVgqU&feature=plcp

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712884

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw somewhere last year the he dropped the project for idrivino and release the code he was using. I was thinking about over the weekend and came up with something. We have plenty of video interfaces out there but like stated before no module to go from obd to video out. What if you get one of the obdII bluetooth/wifi adapters, an android/os app for the gauges, and mirror the display on the idrive. I downloaded "Dashcommand" which looks promising plus you can customize or download gauge layouts and colors. Now I'm researching how to convert the hdmi out from the phone. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I start buying random stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigtigga01 Click here to enlarge
    I saw somewhere last year the he dropped the project for idrivino and release the code he was using. I was thinking about over the weekend and came up with something. We have plenty of video interfaces out there but like stated before no module to go from obd to video out. What if you get one of the obdII bluetooth/wifi adapters, an android/os app for the gauges, and mirror the display on the idrive. I downloaded "Dashcommand" which looks promising plus you can customize or download gauge layouts and colors. Now I'm researching how to convert the hdmi out from the phone. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I start buying random stuff.
    Mirroring the display on the idrive using an aux input makes the most sense.