Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Cost to get a GTI into the 11s @120+

I am in a predicament with my car where I may be forced to get rid of it for a SUV for the wife and pickup a cheaper lightly used car for myself and pair with an 06 e90 325xi.

But i need a toy if I do that and its between a gti and evo. They are vastly different cars and obv AWD vs FWD but i like the idea of a quick GTI over just another quick evo.

What needs to be sank into the 2.0 to get her trapping over 120?

Thanks!
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Tires, fully built motor, clutch and custom tune. around 8k I believe. I couldnt tell you about the evo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

ummm... just buy an EVO...

The GTI in 11s will be a rickety POS with a built motor and slicks, that is a guarantee. It will have no DD qualities... if you are OK with that, then that's fine but in the end its still a FWD car made for roll racing and autox.

The EVO will be easier to get there and more fun but 120 MPH is a serious trap speed for any car (the 335i is the only easy import car that doesn't cost a fortune that is easy to get there and retain DD qualities). I would still go for the EVO.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

10K+ unfortunately on the GTI. My car you can do that with 4k LOL.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @fastgti69
    how much will you have into your SS after youre all said and done? Click here to enlarge

Not too expensive if you go used. May as well go used, can find a well equipped GTI for with lowish miles for sub 18-20k. Or go with a 2008.5 which is an MKV with the TSI, can find those real cheap.

For the TSI for an easy turn key solution:
    Intake: $300
    Rods (about $400, install is a pretty penny though)
    APR Stage 3+: $5,400 on sale with tune, injectors and total turn key kit.
    If you go manual you'll need a beefy clutch
    Or you can go DSG and get some software for it. Clutchpacks should be good...
    intercooler: anywhere from $300 for eBay to $1,000 for APR
    either APR or I believe 42 draft designs for a downpipe that won't need to be modified to fit the APR kit. May as well go 3" all the way back with a TBE: APR is $1500 on sale. Good quality.
    Suspension. Going to need good suspension, probably $3-7k for good coil overs, sways, LSD etc.
    now some people go to golf front brakes to run 15" wheels and bigger slicks.
    With 100oct, take out spare and back seat and that'll put you into the 11s at 125 or so.

Labor is the big killer. I think a rod/stud/etc job is a couple grand. Stock pistons have proven to handle 550+whp. You'll be in it for at least $15k with labor. You're best bet is to stock up on parts, hand your car over to a reputable shop an just do it all at once. Suspension, LSD/clutch, engine build, turbo, TBE, intercooler this will save a boatload on labor.

If you're willing to log and deal with the occasional headache:
    Suspension is however much you want to get into it. Again, the power creation isn't a problem, it's putting it down.
    Rods: ~$400
    CTS's GTX3071/76 is $4300 on sale. This will come with DP, midpipe and intake.
    Get a Catback that floats your boat
    intercooler: $300-1000
    unitronic big turbo tune: $900 (this can go up as they'll do custom for you)
    Unitronic injectors and LPFP: $1500
    aquamist hfs-4 with direct port injection: around 800-1000 I think. Unitronic will tune for this.
    Boost controller: depends on what you want
    This should max out your fueling capabilities and put you close to 130mph.

Then wait a while for APR to come out with ther manifold with port injection and stand alone. Then the skies the limit.

I'm on my phone now a mentioned so I'm not sure on everything. Sorry for any grammatical mistakes too.

Also, for the price point can't beat the GTI's interior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge

The GTI in 11s will be a rickety POS with a built motor and slicks, that is a guarantee. It will have no DD qualities... if you are OK with that, then that's fine but in the end its still a FWD car made for roll racing and autox.

The EVO will be easier to get there and more fun but 120 MPH is a serious trap speed for any car (the 335i is the only easy import car that doesn't cost a fortune that is easy to get there and retain DD qualities). I would still go for the EVO.
    ...all the people who have put up big numbers all daily drive their GTIs. Car doesn't change all that much under the 3500rpm mark.
    In fact many still get 26mpg+

itll definitely be a roll monster though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    ...all the people who have put up big numbers all daily drive their GTIs. Car doesn't change all that much under the 3500rpm mark.
    In fact many still get 26mpg+

itll definitely be a roll monster though.
    what you just called out above sounds like a bigger headache than it's worth... not saying car won't be fast just saying that it's a lot of work and sacrifice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yeah it is. At the end of the day it is a relatively new 4cyl 2.0l engine.

The n54 is a special breed. Not often do engines like that come along.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Umm I have a 520 whp GTI that is my DD? 24mpgs in the city and 32mpgs on the highway.

MrBikle on the GOlfmkv forums has a 562whp and rising soon runs super low 11's and its his dd.
    Last edited by 1Zed4; 07-27-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Yea I worked out that I will be at 16k once I do the motor swap and finish all that up... We won't talk about that though @chrisisnapping. LOL

I wish I could have done all that to my GTI. It would have been pretty sick. The thing with this car is that it's not even at its potential. This turbo needs to be turned up to like 28 psi to be in a good range. These compressor maps on the EFRs go up to 45 psi of boost! It's pretty nuts, and I can't imagine that coupled with racegas. This turbo is easy for 500-550whp capable.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Great Info. Thanks
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Rickety POS? Really? The GTI is a VW it's built solid. Why would it lose DD qualities? We just had a video posted of a GTI beating a 335 pretty well. They can be awesome.

The EVO definitely will be easier, that's for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    @fastgti69
    how much will you have into your SS after youre all said and done? Click here to enlarge

Not too expensive if you go used. May as well go used, can find a well equipped GTI for with lowish miles for sub 18-20k. Or go with a 2008.5 which is an MKV with the TSI, can find those real cheap.

For the TSI for an easy turn key solution:
    Intake: $300
    Rods (about $400, install is a pretty penny though)
    APR Stage 3+: $5,400 on sale with tune, injectors and total turn key kit.
    If you go manual you'll need a beefy clutch
    Or you can go DSG and get some software for it. Clutchpacks should be good...
    intercooler: anywhere from $300 for eBay to $1,000 for APR
    either APR or I believe 42 draft designs for a downpipe that won't need to be modified to fit the APR kit. May as well go 3" all the way back with a TBE: APR is $1500 on sale. Good quality.
    Suspension. Going to need good suspension, probably $3-7k for good coil overs, sways, LSD etc.
    now some people go to golf front brakes to run 15" wheels and bigger slicks.
    With 100oct, take out spare and back seat and that'll put you into the 11s at 125 or so.

Labor is the big killer. I think a rod/stud/etc job is a couple grand. Stock pistons have proven to handle 550+whp. You'll be in it for at least $15k with labor. You're best bet is to stock up on parts, hand your car over to a reputable shop an just do it all at once. Suspension, LSD/clutch, engine build, turbo, TBE, intercooler this will save a boatload on labor.

If you're willing to log and deal with the occasional headache:
    Suspension is however much you want to get into it. Again, the power creation isn't a problem, it's putting it down.
    Rods: ~$400
    CTS's GTX3071/76 is $4300 on sale. This will come with DP, midpipe and intake.
    Get a Catback that floats your boat
    intercooler: $300-1000
    unitronic big turbo tune: $900 (this can go up as they'll do custom for you)
    Unitronic injectors and LPFP: $1500
    aquamist hfs-4 with direct port injection: around 800-1000 I think. Unitronic will tune for this.
    Boost controller: depends on what you want
    This should max out your fueling capabilities and put you close to 130mph.

Then wait a while for APR to come out with ther manifold with port injection and stand alone. Then the skies the limit.

I'm on my phone now a mentioned so I'm not sure on everything. Sorry for any grammatical mistakes too.

Also, for the price point can't beat the GTI's interior.
    You really know your VW's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Rickety POS? Really? The GTI is a VW it's built solid. Why would it lose DD qualities? We just had a video posted of a GTI beating a 335 pretty well. They can be awesome.
    That guy spins anything below 40 MPH and has absolutely no interior is why. Throw slicks on it to actually be able to drag it and the car becomes useless on the streets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

That guy spins anything below 40 MPH and has absolutely no interior is why. Throw slicks on it to actually be able to drag it and the car becomes useless on the streets.
    Nobody is going to run slicks on the streets obviously.

Yes, he spins but he is making very good power. On the highway I'm sure it's a beast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Nobody is going to run slicks on the streets obviously.

Yes, he spins but he is making very good power. On the highway I'm sure it's a beast.
    No slicks, then you won't grip. Also, a VW w a built motor has to be a reliability nightmare... I mean BMWs are bad but VWs are a mechanic gold mine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

No slicks, then you won't grip. Also, a VW w a built motor has to be a reliability nightmare... I mean BMWs are bad but VWs are a mechanic gold mine.
    It completely depends on your power, map, speed, etc.

lso, a VW w a built motor has to be a reliability nightmare...
    Based on what?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It completely depends on your power, map, speed, etc.

Based on what?
    Based on any VW ever made...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

So then how is APR doing built motors that are OEM level reliable?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Meh, I've made probably 450whp/470wtq on my 29psi 100 octane setup with my FWD car. I spin 40-70 all the times, on a cold night it would be 40-100, but I don't think that has affected me THAT much. If anything it's better cause I'm at redline where my peak power is hahaha.

There actually a lot of stout VAG motors when built right. Go look at APR.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I don't think he knows what he's saying regarding the reliability it's not based on anything other than brand perception seemingly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

So then how is APR doing built motors that are OEM level reliable?
    This is the best part of the comment... buahahaha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

This is the best part of the comment... buahahaha
    I don't see anything that makes me want to laugh at the VW 2.0T's reliability. Do you like it better with an Audi badge on it or something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Also, a VW w a built motor has to be a reliability nightmare... I mean BMWs are bad but VWs are a mechanic gold mine.
    I have the former APR's stage IV in house R&D car and I have sense put a much bigger turbo on it with upwards of 520whp and I have had ZERO reliability issues. In fact I have less issues than my OEM/Stock buddies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That's a broad spectrum. The TSI is not without it's faults. however the reliability isn't terrible, especially for the BT guys.

With the TSI and BT guys, any weakness (aside from fueling) as been addressed.
    Timing chain tensioner issues? there is an update for that
    oil level issues when experiencing high Gs? (specific to tracking) - there is an oil protection system set up by APR
    Your stock coil packs go? R8 Coils fit and cost less than $100, they have shown to have excellent lifespans.

At the end of the day there are multiple cars all over the world pushing the TSI over 525WHP - stock heads, no sleeves, some even have stock pistons. The only people who have reliability issues on their built engines are those who either jumped around shops, had bad information given to their builder (which resulted in wrong compression ratios), or used inexperienced shops. Our engines are very temperamental and even being slightly off can result in issues. Using highly experienced shops solves this.

You have a little bit of change in your pocket? Bring your Car to Oklahoma to the APR HQ and your car will roll out of there near bulletproof.
    Same goes for RSWorx in NJ
    Force Fed Engineering in PA
    USP Motorsports in FL (Yes, Patrick with the GLI that has front paged has had issues but those were related to turbo and r/d testing new products such as heads and intake manifolds)

If we want to talk reliability in general for these engines -- The main issue on the forums is messed up ECUs. To flash these cars you need to crack open the ECU. Inexperienced installers can $#@! this up or not seal it correctly which will lead to issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast