Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

New TSI Stock Turbo Record

Just thought I'd share something to this forum

A 2010 GTI powered by GIAC Software broke the previous World Record for Stock Powered TSI cars of 12.978@103.29 set by GIAC in March of 2012 by running a 12.932@106.14. I would certainly not say this was "lucky" as the car in question ran a few 13.0x runs earlier this month and had 3 runs in the 12.9x range on this day.

Details:

Track: Orlando Speed Dragway
    Density Altitude: ~1600 feet
    Car: 2010 2DR GTI
    Transmission: DSG (Dual Sequential Gearbox)
    Tune: GIAC Stage 2 Race File
    Fueling: Pump+1 gallon Sunoco GT+ and Methanol injection
    Tires: Drag Radials up front
    Weight Savings: Removed Rear Seats and Spare Tire
    Mods: 3" Catless Downpipe to a 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Forge Wintake, Forge Twincooler, ported exhaust manifold, and DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now for some observations/personal opinions...

These turbos are SMALL, like newborn baby head small. So these are pretty impressive numbers, especially in the Florida Air. Getting that car down to a 1.7 60' can shave some time off of it. As would replacing the OEM wheels in the back with something lighter. OEM wheels are about 28-29lbs a piece while even something cheap from Neuspeed or Enkie would save a good 9-10lbs of rotational mass from each rear wheel. They could also remove the passenger seat.

There is also debate about how a "twintercooler" set up isn't as efficient as a true FMIC or stock replacement intercooler -- for those that do not know the MK6 comes with a radiator style intercooler, which is to say it's taller rather than thicker as compared to "true front mount intercoolers"

now a twintercooler set up piggybacks a smaller FMIC onto the stock intercooler like so:
    Attachment 31743
    I'm not 100% of the physics behind it, but it's to be believe that this pales in efficiency compared to a larger stock replacement intercooler due to the potential for flow and pressure drops.

So adding in a replacement intercooler from APR, Unitronic, SPM, Eurojet or even Godspeed may also add some quickness to the car.

ALAS, say what you want about GIAC, but they hold the Stock Turbo, K04 turbo, GT3071, and overall TSI pump gas world records.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are the those the YouTube records?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Are the those the YouTube records?
    it's the records that GIAC has (this is a giac post from another forum). There are a handful of threads across the VW forums that have 1/4 mile times, these seem to be the fastest for the TSI. If we want to be exact it's certainly the record for a GTI running the Stock Turbo on a TSI in North America.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    it's the records that GIAC has (this is a giac post from another forum). There are a handful of threads across the VW forums that have 1/4 mile times, these seem to be the fastest for the TSI. If we want to be exact it's certainly the record for a GTI running the Stock Turbo on a TSI in North America.
    I guess North America. A few local to me ppl have tried to enter the lists of records to know avail. We don't get slips here but published results. Will try get a list of cars that will qualify.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I guess North America. A few local to me ppl have tried to enter the lists of records to know avail. We don't get slips here but published results. Will try get a list of cars that will qualify.
    yeah would be great to see what other TSI cars with the stock turbos are running. I mean i can see some of the lighter cars maybe hitting 12.8xx, but don't see anything going much faster than that. These turbos are small and just fall on their face around 5k rpm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The stock turbo is a K03? K04?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stock turbo was a ko3, but now they are IHI, same thing basically. Just cheaper than a Borg Warner.

Ko4 are stock on Golf-r and the ed35 GTI over seas.

AWE's GIAC powered GTI with a ko4 did break 11s though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stock turbo was a ko3, but now they are IHI, same thing basically. Just cheaper than a Borg Warner.

Ko4 are stock on Golf-r and the ed35 GTI over seas.

AWE's GIAC powered GTI with a ko4 did break 11s though.
    Any idea what IHI model it is? So it and the K03 basically flow the same? When did they switch?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Any idea what IHI model it is? So it and the K03 basically flow the same? When did they switch?
    It's a VW modified IHI rhf5.

FSI = ko3
    TSI = IHI, so the switch for the GTI occurred in 2008.5 cars.
    The turbos are nearly identical, but the IHI is slightly smaller.

People are saying this record doesn't count because the manifold was ported -- ergo not stock. $#@!ing people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a VW modified IHI rhf5.

FSI = ko3
    TSI = IHI, so the switch for the GTI occurred in 2008.5 cars.
    The turbos are nearly identical, but the IHI is slightly smaller.

People are saying this record doesn't count because the manifold was ported -- ergo not stock. $#@!ing people.
    You're full of great info on this platform man.

If the manifold was ported it does muddy things a bit though. I as going to front page it but not sure now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    who cares if the manifold is ported? its still a stock turbo.. really makes no difference
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    who cares if the manifold is ported? its still a stock turbo.. really makes no difference
    Does it make no difference?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're full of great info on this platform man.

If the manifold was ported it does muddy things a bit though. I as going to front page it but not sure now.
    I usually have to do some research -- but that's fine. Always good to learn more about the car you drive.

There are no numbers (flow or power) that show how beneficial the ported manifold is. The driver did it in his garage because he came across a cheap stock turbo. I mean sure it'll help a little bit, but at the end of the day he didn't change any housing, wheels, compressors, bearings etc.

I mean it just barely best GIACs previous IHI record with a completely untouched manifold. If I had a decent suspension set up and drag radials I'd take mine out and see if there was a huge difference in ET/trap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does it make no difference?
    The argument is is that the IHI and manifold are casted as one piece. So if the manifold was modified the whole thing is no longer stock.

$#@!ing semantics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now for some observations/personal opinions...

These turbos are SMALL, like newborn baby head small. So these are pretty impressive numbers, especially in the Florida Air. Getting that car down to a 1.7 60' can shave some time off of it. As would replacing the OEM wheels in the back with something lighter. OEM wheels are about 28-29lbs a piece while even something cheap from Neuspeed or Enkie would save a good 9-10lbs of rotational mass from each rear wheel. They could also remove the passenger seat.

There is also debate about how a "twintercooler" set up isn't as efficient as a true FMIC or stock replacement intercooler -- for those that do not know the MK6 comes with a radiator style intercooler, which is to say it's taller rather than thicker as compared to "true front mount intercoolers"

now a twintercooler set up piggybacks a smaller FMIC onto the stock intercooler like so:
    Attachment 31743
    I'm not 100% of the physics behind it, but it's to be believe that this pales in efficiency compared to a larger stock replacement intercooler due to the potential for flow and pressure drops.

So adding in a replacement intercooler from APR, Unitronic, SPM, Eurojet or even Godspeed may also add some quickness to the car.

ALAS, say what you want about GIAC, but they hold the Stock Turbo, K04 turbo, GT3071, and overall TSI pump gas world records.
    i've always been told that for IAT suppression, you want more surface area rather than volume?

which makes sense, physically.

most 'true front mount intercoolers' try to maximise surface area AND thickness i believe?

ED: what sorta power would this be putting down? a little over 300whp?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i've always been told that for IAT suppression, you want more surface area rather than volume?

which makes sense, physically.

most 'true front mount intercoolers' try to maximise surface area AND thickness i believe?

ED: what sorta power would this be putting down? a little over 300whp?
    Under 300whp. To break 300whp you would need to go with a bigger turbo.
    He actually has a dyno of the car prior to the ported exhaust manifold, i don't think he has one post port. This was done at Central Florida Turbo on a mustang dyno.

I believe this was his 3rd pull of the day -- these turbos just run out of breath real quick
    Click here to enlarge

Now for the intercooler talk. I know internet marketing and a little bit about cars. However, i don't know crap about physics/engineering so I really can't say anything about surface area vs. volume and what matters most for an intercooler.

I'm not 100% sure on the math
    But here we go: forge Twintercooler is 6"x2.5"x24". This is tube/fin
    Stock is: 16.25"x1.26"x24" This is bar/plate
    The supposed combined volume (calculated by someone else) is 976 (equivalent)

Now APR, which is sort of the bench mark, quality made in USA design (and pretty expensive) is 16.25"x2.25"x23.2" with a volume of 841, bar and plate.