Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

SECRETS Behind The HPF 1000 RWHP Daily Driven BMW M3 RACE ENGINES - VIDEO

Wow!

For the past two years, we've kept our HPF Turbo M3 Stage 2.5, 3 and 4 engine builds somewhat under wraps. We've shown pictures of the components we've helped develop and used in these engines and lots of videos of what these engines can do both on the track and on the street. Until now we haven't released more specific details of how we build these engines and get them to survive the long term abuse we put them through.

I decided to present a series of videos that will walk an average car enthusiast through many of the steps we take to build these engines. I believe there is enough information in these videos to reach people at all levels of experience.

All videos are in high definition. To watch in high definition, click on the title at the top and in the new window click 720p in the lower right and the 4 arrows to make it full screen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AWESOME!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    videos not coming up for me Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sweet vids. i couldnt understand some of the really technical bits and acronyms honestly, but i guess thats why they said there's info for all levels of experience Click here to enlarge anyway i took a lot from those videos, thanks HPF. i really hope you can take the n54 to new levels. it looks like you've mastered the s54, and is probably why you feel comfortable to post videos like these Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Think that might be my engine. Notice the blown headgasket comment. Lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is very detailed info. thanks for posting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow sooooooo sick!

watching part 3 now
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    videos are still not coming up....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that took awhile to watch, but it was pretty informative and like others some of the words used were... too big for me...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh my! That is very very amazing work! I am dreaming of getting a STG 2.5 now! Damn it HPF! Click here to enlarge I would love to go HPF but the SMG with HPF bothers me! Only if there was a way to convert SMG to 6MT!
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok finnaly got a chance to watch the vid. It looks more like its promoting the engine builder and his techniques. Doesnt really seem to be "hpf" related....Or maybe i didnt watch enough of the videos.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    "Because everyone needs 1,000 horsepower at the wheels... all the time"

Priceless lol.. great videos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amazing work. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    videos are still not coming up....
    You using Google Chrome?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It looks more like its promoting the engine builder and his techniques. Doesnt really seem to be "hpf" related
    That's the good part, what makes the HPF turbo setups possible and reliable. Not sure what you mean how it isn't HPF related.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    very detailed engine work. great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's the good part, what makes the HPF turbo setups possible and reliable. Not sure what you mean how it isn't HPF related.
    What im saying is that this could have just as been called "SECRETS Behind The Chevy LS1 RACE ENGINES" It is showing great detail of building a quality engine. And i doubt that Bryan is the only engine builder using these techniques on building quality motors. Great vids though.

It does show that HPF does want the best when doing what they do.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Brian is a true craftsman. Hard to find people like him these days.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Doesnt really seem to be "hpf" related....Or maybe i didnt watch enough of the videos.
    I would disagree, I'm in marketing and I found the videos to be an extremely useful marketing tool for the Company's higher stage kits. They show what goes into the build, the quality and the effort taken to prepare a reliable block for such power. It was 100% relevant to HPF as it showcases an aspect of the kit that would normally have little exposure.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Brian is a true craftsman. Hard to find people like him these days.
    I found the videos quite informative and the shop to be of a very high quality in terms of talent, attention to detail and equipment being used. However, there are many shops just like this one across the country. I didn't see anything beyond standard practices of any reputable engine builder. The extent of R&D by the builder was Darton sleeves, everything else was standard build procedures. The shop did have top notch equipment which is a plus when shopping around.

I won't mention any shops by name out of respect to this thread, but there are a few BMW specific engine builders that have done far more R&D into these builds. One such shop offset grinds the OEM crank in order to utilize non-standard hardened coated main bearings and rod bearings which makes the bottom end virtually bullet proof. This also changes the stroke slightly to a more efficient ratio. Another aspect of an engine build is the heads, I would have been interested to see what kind of head work they do as well. To me that is what sets an engine builder apart, is the head work. If a builder can squeeze a few CFM out of the OEM heads, that is something to brag about.

Overall.. great videos.. awesome shop.. quality build.. but nothing to build an altar too and pray to the M&B engine gods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    I won't mention any shops by name out of respect to this thread, but there are a few BMW specific engine builders that have done far more R&D into these builds. One such shop offset grinds the OEM crank in order to utilize non-standard hardened coated main bearings and rod bearings which makes the bottom end virtually bullet proof.
    Why not start a thread for BMW engine builders who don't get more mainstream credit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would disagree, I'm in marketing and I found the videos to be an extremely useful marketing tool for the Company's higher stage kits. They show what goes into the build, the quality and the effort taken to prepare a reliable block for such power. It was 100% relevant to HPF as it showcases an aspect of the kit that would normally have little exposure.

I found the videos quite informative and the shop to be of a very high quality in terms of talent, attention to detail and equipment being used. However, there are many shops just like this one across the country. I didn't see anything beyond standard practices of any reputable engine builder. The extent of R&D by the builder was Darton sleeves, everything else was standard build procedures. The shop did have top notch equipment which is a plus when shopping around.

I won't mention any shops by name out of respect to this thread, but there are a few BMW specific engine builders that have done far more R&D into these builds. One such shop offset grinds the OEM crank in order to utilize non-standard hardened coated main bearings and rod bearings which makes the bottom end virtually bullet proof. This also changes the stroke slightly to a more efficient ratio. Another aspect of an engine build is the heads, I would have been interested to see what kind of head work they do as well. To me that is what sets an engine builder apart, is the head work. If a builder can squeeze a few CFM out of the OEM heads, that is something to brag about.

Overall.. great videos.. awesome shop.. quality build.. but nothing to build an altar too and pray to the M&B engine gods.
    I'm sorry, but until I SEE one of these other reputable shops build at least 5 motors that see lots of boost and last a long time, I wouldn't buy their stock. Also, maybe there are things that weren't even mentioned in the videos and kept secret Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is special
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes for marketing this is a great approach. As it does not expose anything about hpf but in the consumers eye it looks like it does.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    I'm sorry, but until I SEE one of these other reputable shops build at least 5 motors that see lots of boost and last a long time, I wouldn't buy their stock. Also, maybe there are things that weren't even mentioned in the videos and kept secret Click here to enlarge
    The builder I mentioned builds motors for track use. It is one thing to push 30+ PSI boost for short blasts down a highway and push a motor in the 5,000- 8,200 RPM for extended periods on a track.

I would be quite surprised if HPF Stage 4 motor could operate in that power band for that length of time..

I was merly pointing out R&D as it relates to engine building. Comparing the two is like comparing an apple to a orange.

As for secrets, there is not many secrets left in the world of engine building. Maybe some piston modifications specific per builders experience, but for the most part "secrets" in the world of engine building are not really that secret.. if your an engine builder.

I also would doubt an obscure engine builder in Oregon would have more BMW specific knowledge than a shop that has specialized in BMW for 30+ years.. just IMHO..

I'm not saying the builder is not a quality builder.. they obviously are by the videos and HPF management has made a good choice in sourcing a local quality shop for their builds.. I was just pointing out that it didn't appear to me to be any kind of fancy R&D aside from basic quality build procedures being used.
    Last edited by ccsykes; 08-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The builder I mentioned builds motors for track use. It is one thing to push 30+ PSI boost for short blasts down a highway and push a motor in the 5,000- 8,200 RPM for extended periods on a track.

I would be quite surprised if HPF Stage 4 motor could operate in that power band for that length of time..
    With all due respect:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HPF Chris
    I beat on these cars and race the car an hour at a time full throttle, braking, full throttle and we have cars with built motors nearing 50,000 miles now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast