Close

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    New Porsche 991 GT2 will be PDK only and have 552 horsepower - GT2RS over 600 horsepower

    Well, no surprise here. Porsche continues to embrace the dual clutch transmission making the PDK standard and the only option on their new GT cars such as the GT3 and GT2. It started with the 991 GT3 getting the PDK transmission only with no manual option and now the 991 GT2 and GT2 RS will take the same route. Even the new 991 Turbo does not have a manual transmission option meaning the PDK dual clutch is the only way to get it.

    Purists may not like it but the GT2 is going to be a beast with 552 horsepower, rear wheel drive, and a dual clutch transmission. The GT2 RS is set to go up to 620 horsepower. 9 second car stock? With drag radials a high 9 second 1/4 mile certainly sounds within reach. Do not expect it until 2015 though.


    Click here to enlarge

    Source

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,698
    Rep Points
    2,103.3
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    THANK GOD! Love PDK, DSG, DCT, SMG Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    708
    Rep Points
    566.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Oh noes, Porsche purists (myself included) are going nuts over this. They are losing their minds by doing this. Oh noesssss!!!!!!!!

    PS. Sarcasm.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    385
    Rep Points
    512.7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm guessing the GT2 will get the same regular PDK as the Turbo and Carrera instead of the awesome new one they made for the GT3 with the proper shift pattern, (back for upshift, if you look on Porsche's website the gallery for the new Turbo shows that up is for upshifts. A huge deal for me), quicker shift times, less paddle-shift delay, and that ludicrous "burnout mode" where you can hold both paddles and disengage the clutch at any time. Seems odd, I was hoping all the Turbo / GT models would get the new PDK or at the very least finally have their center console shifter mounted the right way.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    I'm guessing the GT2 will get the same regular PDK as the Turbo and Carrera instead of the awesome new one they made for the GT3 with the proper shift pattern, (back for upshift, if you look on Porsche's website the gallery for the new Turbo shows that up is for upshifts. A huge deal for me), quicker shift times, less paddle-shift delay, and that ludicrous "burnout mode" where you can hold both paddles and disengage the clutch at any time. Seems odd, I was hoping all the Turbo / GT models would get the new PDK or at the very least finally have their center console shifter mounted the right way.
    I would think the GT2 would get the same PDK as the GT3 rather than the Turbo as it makes more sense due to the kind of car it is. As in, GT2 more similar to the GT3 in focus than the Turbo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    How sad. They should at least offer the option, even if you have to pay an additional cost for the MT. Sucks that the day is getting closer and closer to the end of the MT. Can't believe Porsche is giving up on it. I guess in the end it all comes up to $$$$. I hope the Americans don't go this route with the Vettes or Vipers anytime soon, but they need to offer real manual-auto transmissions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    How sad. They should at least offer the option, even if you have to pay an additional cost for the MT. Sucks that the day is getting closer and closer to the end of the MT. Can't believe Porsche is giving up on it. I guess in the end it all comes up to $$$$. I hope the Americans don't go this route with the Vettes or Vipers anytime soon, but they need to offer real manual-auto transmissions.
    I have a feeling there will be a time when even vettes and vipers will follow this trend. If the dct/auto trans keep turning out better numbers then it would be kind of bad on their part that their cars are getting slaughtered by other cars b/c they are not updated with the lates and greatest technology.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    I have a feeling there will be a time when even vettes and vipers will follow this trend. If the dct/auto trans keep turning out better numbers then it would be kind of bad on their part that their cars are getting slaughtered by other cars b/c they are not updated with the lates and greatest technology.
    That's why they have the option of getting either transmissions. I understand in a highly competitive environment like racing, you would probably want to opt for those advanced transmissions. But sometimes driving a car is not all about going fast in a straightline. The joy you get driving a MT with a high powered engine is nothing compared to the feeling you get pulling a paddle or or pushing/pulling a stick up and down.

    Also, the difference between a skilled MT driver and a driver with a manual-auto transmission is minimal, it could make a big difference on a track, lap after lap, but then again - the most serious competition drivers will ultimately pick the automated-manual trans, but for the street, I'll always pick the MT.
    John 3:16


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    That's why they have the option of getting either transmissions. I understand in a highly competitive environment like racing, you would probably want to opt for those advanced transmissions. But sometimes driving a car is not all about going fast in a straightline. The joy you get driving a MT with a high powered engine is nothing compared to the feeling you get pulling a paddle or or pushing/pulling a stick up and down.

    Also, the difference between a skilled MT driver and a driver with a manual-auto transmission is minimal, it could make a big difference on a track, lap after lap, but then again - the most serious competition drivers will ultimately pick the automated-manual trans, but for the street, I'll always pick the MT.
    I know what u mean. I started driving stick when I first got my license and have been, until I got my 335. I do miss it at times, but then again getting stuck in traffic in Chicago when I lived there was never any fun in a manual car. The manual to me is for the fun factor, but it is also fun racing in an auto vs someone in a manual when u see them falling back a few car cause they missed a gear Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    385
    Rep Points
    512.7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I would think the GT2 would get the same PDK as the GT3 rather than the Turbo as it makes more sense due to the kind of car it is. As in, GT2 more similar to the GT3 in focus than the Turbo.
    I hope you're right but I don't really care. After living with my DCT 335is for a few months now, I think its transmission is great but I know I won't ever own another automatic sporty car if I have the choice. I miss driving manual way too much.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    I hope you're right but I don't really care. After living with my DCT 335is for a few months now, I think its transmission is great but I know I won't ever own another automatic sporty car if I have the choice. I miss driving manual way too much.
    I hear you unfortunately that will eliminate almost everything in the future for you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    I know what u mean. I started driving stick when I first got my license and have been, until I got my 335. I do miss it at times, but then again getting stuck in traffic in Chicago when I lived there was never any fun in a manual car. The manual to me is for the fun factor, but it is also fun racing in an auto vs someone in a manual when u see them falling back a few car cause they missed a gear Click here to enlarge
    All part of the fun Click here to enlarge The manual creates more competition IMO. Easy to tell the skill levels of people. Instead of just raming your right foot on the throttle, and letting the robot do everything for you.
    John 3:16


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    385
    Rep Points
    512.7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I hear you unfortunately that will eliminate almost everything in the future for you.
    Haha I know! The M235i is looking really great for my next car or maybe the M2 depending on what they do with the motor. At the GT2's performance level, I get the argument for eliminating the manual transmission. 99% of drivers will be holding back the performance of the car and would struggle to deal with rev-matching downshifts and all that while going flat out through a twisty road but that very challenge is exactly what I enjoy. It's why I spent my summers in college at racing schools like Skip Barber, it's just a shame that too few people want to live with a manual transmission anymore because driving a paddle-shifted car now is a little less exciting for me. It seems like for most people, the fun of racing (street racing, drag racing, circuit racing, whatever) is in winning. To me, the fun is in the competition itself. As an example of what I'm talking about, I beat all kinds of cars in my 335is but it gets old quickly because I'm basically sitting there waiting for my car to prove itself faster (or slower) than whatever I'm next to, I had way more fun the other day losing to a C6 Corvette in my manual 135i or getting absolutely thrashed by a Panamera Turbo.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Haha I know! The M235i is looking really great for my next car or maybe the M2 depending on what they do with the motor. At the GT2's performance level, I get the argument for eliminating the manual transmission. 99% of drivers will be holding back the performance of the car and would struggle to deal with rev-matching downshifts and all that while going flat out through a twisty road but that very challenge is exactly what I enjoy. It's why I spent my summers in college at racing schools like Skip Barber, it's just a shame that too few people want to live with a manual transmission anymore because driving a paddle-shifted car now is a little less exciting for me. It seems like for most people, the fun of racing (street racing, drag racing, circuit racing, whatever) is in winning. To me, the fun is in the competition itself. As an example of what I'm talking about, I beat all kinds of cars in my 335is but it gets old quickly because I'm basically sitting there waiting for my car to prove itself faster (or slower) than whatever I'm next to, I had way more fun the other day losing to a C6 Corvette in my manual 135i or getting absolutely thrashed by a Panamera Turbo.
    Yes and with the GT3 the PDK is really what helps it since the motor is so high strung and low displacement. So it just HAS to have it to increase performance.

    The M235i likely would be perfect for you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,301.6
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    DCT/PDK/DSG makes the most sense on a turbo car, as you don't lose any boost since the shifts are essentially instant. For that reason alone, I wish I had ordered DCT on my 335is when I had the chance.

    On the GT3, Porsche should offer the manual since it really is the most pure driver's car they offer. On a GT2 and normal turbo, I think it would be a mistake to take a stick.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    On the GT3, Porsche should offer the manual since it really is the most pure driver's car they offer.
    I agree strongly, at the very least as an option.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    349
    Rep Points
    544.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Are the power figures at the wheel or at the crank? The former would surprise me as car manufacturers usually don't publish power figures at the wheel.

    However, considering the Turbo S will already have 560hp at the crank, I would assume the GT2 will have more than that.

    Alpina_B3_Lux

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    Are the power figures at the wheel or at the crank?
    Crank.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    However, considering the Turbo S will already have 560hp at the crank, I would assume the GT2 will have more than that.
    Yes I would agree should have more than the Turbo S so this source may be wrong. GT2 precedent certainly has been more power than the Turbo / Turbo S.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •