Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thread from GTRLife - forged performance failure

Just grabbed some exerts from the original thread that can be found here:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/85083-forged-performance-the-truth/

The Truth About Forged Performance

This is going to be a long winded review, but my experience spans over a 22 month timeframe and I am still dealing with the repairs as I write this. I feel it is important to notate all of the details in order to properly warn my fellow GT-R owners. I would never want anyone to have to go through what I have experienced over the last couple of years.

Here are the cliff notes for anyone who doesn’t want to read the entire detailed experience”

• 22 month project
    • Over $250,000 spent at Forged Performance
    • Countless lies and broken promises
    • 300 whp below goal
    • Engine failure before delivery
    • Transmission failure shortly after delivery
    • 2nd Engine failure upon teardown
    • Hacked up turbo kit
    • Overcharged for the performed work
    • Horrible craftsmanship
    • Shoddy work
    • FP refused to compensate me for the troubles or refund me

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Read that one yesterday. Sad story, and the $ amount definitely makes it that much more harrowing, as people often make the (incorrect) assumption that if it costs more, it has to be good. Sadly, these kinds of stories happen with remarkable frequency in the automotive aftermarket. At least this guy had the guts to finally decide to cut his losses and out the shop for the benefit of others, instead of clinging to false hope and sinking more and more $ into a bottomless hole because of perceived vested interests, he didn't want to upset the shop, admit his mistake, believe more promises, etc. Sadly, the latter happens far too often, to the detriment of the owner and the community as a whole.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Wow...I love the washers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Some of this guys pictures are of things that go with modding stuff, but when you factor in the price. There really should be none of it. I mean if you are charging $250K you have custom parts made to insure proper fitment for everything. I think the shop got in over its head and instead of saying so. They just continued to charge and "made" things fit. "making things fit is usually reserved for prototypes, and your own personal car where you know exactly what was done. For that price, everything should be pretty much perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why did he go with forged performance and not ams or switzer was this before there kits came out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stormtrooper335 Click here to enlarge
    why did he go with forged performance and not ams or switzer was this before there kits came out
    Personal preference... The project started in 2011, so AMS had already released the Alpha 12 package (not the Alpha Omega) and Switzer, Jotech & BoostLogic all (probably) had a variety of sub 1k WHP kits out, but it sounds like the OP decided to go BIG power after the delay with the summer install/tune. I've never heard of the JUN 4.0L Stroker or their Turbo Kit, but it doesn't sound like the parts were the problem.

THIS really makes you sit back and think about the shops you contact, seek advice from & contract them to do all the work. At the end of the day all you really have to go off is Reputation & Word of Mouth, but I'm honestly shocked that Forged Performance is still in business. I really feel for the OP but almost want to ask why at the $100k point he didn't ask more questions or demand more results.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like putting "forged" in your company name somehow gives you credibility. Not saying all are like that, but there have been.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

especially as switzer made a basically dd go 8/9s...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

That's just disgusting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

For anyone that doesn't want to read the full 21 pages, here are the cliff notes:
    • OP (identified as Boxster) has a modified GTR, with Forged Performance doing the work. March 3rd, 2011 OP sends the car to Forged for an HKS 800 Turbo upgrade, Forged recommends a Trans & LSD upgrade. OP expects the car to be returned in time to enjoy over the summer.
    • Months go by, the install isn't completed. OP realizes that he won't get the car back for the summer, but here is the scheduled mods to be installed:
      • HKS 800 Turbo; Fuel Rail & ID2k Injectors, most recent COBB software, Walbro Fueling Upgrade, OS Giken LSD, Dodson Driverain Components, Fluids & Tuning = $34k
      • ​Total Investment with Forged Perforamnce: $72k

• Mods install completed September, OP decides he wants to go big power (1k WHP+). After speaking with FP Owner (Sharif), OP decides to build JUN 4.0L Motor, JUN GTX35R Turbos, Fully Built Trans & DSS Axles. Sharif convinces OP the setup will easily outperform the AMS Alpha 12. Forged also charges OP for 28 hrs of Labor to modify current fueling system to keep pace with WHP goal.
    • JUN turbo kit arrives, turns out it's only made for RHD car. Sharif convinces OP that the kit (only one on the market that achieve the OPs HP goals) can be modified to fit his LHD car.
    • While motor is being built/turbo kit is being modified, OP gets "bored" and decides to buy more mods through Forged Performance -- HRE wheels, larger intake TBs, Race Intercooler, JRZ Coilovers, Seats, Harness & CF bits.
    • June 2012 (over 1 year from build start), OP gets impatient waiting for the car to be completed. Also starts inquiring about previously installed mods & OEM parts. Forged emails their top tech (who's working on the car) only works 3 days a week. Gets fed up and drops in on the shop, receives a small bin missing a significant amount of the previously installed parts.
    • Forged promises the OP car will be finished by August, but on the expectation that the Motec standalone will be released and used as the new tuning platform for the car (citing the COBB cannot safely achieve the power the OP is pursuing).
    • December arrives, still NO Motec. OP gets fed up, ask for car to be tuned with COBB. Car gets prepped to be tuned on the dyno, new 4.0L motor starts puking oil everywhere. Turns out a bearing was spun in a brand new motor.
    • January 2013, OP finally gets the car delivered after a new motor is installed & tuned. Drivability is miserable, power delivery is choppy, car stalls while at idle/stop. Sharif@Forged Performance blames the COBB hardware & that when the car is returned for the Motec, it'll be resolved
    • While in the OP's position, the car was never driven over aggressively because of the problems with drivability. Driving one day, OP downshifts & the car immediately throws a trans fault code & triggers limp mode. Trans stuck in Park.
    • OP misses TX2K13 while car is shipped to a new shop (TopSpeed Motorsports), a local competitor to Forged Performance. OP communicates this with Sharif@Forged, who immediately talks down on TopSpeed's abilities & craftsmanship. OP suspects Sharif/Forged is worried TopSpeed will find something "questionable".
    • March 2013, TopSpeed Motorsports receives the GTR & here is what they find:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

List of Missing Parts OP Never Received Back:
    • AMS Cast Catless Downpipes
    • Synapse Intake Kit
    • Synapse IC Pipe Kit
    • Deatschwerks 800cc Injectors
    • HKS EVC Boost Controller
    • Willall Clutch Upgrade
    • Willall Gear Fasteners
    • Willall Clutch Retaining Clips
    • Willall Piston Seals
    • Willall Front Mount Transmision Cooler
    • OEM Fuel Rails
    • OEM Rear Differential
    • 2X Walbro 255 lph fuel pumps
    • Greddy Upper Intercooler Pipes
    • OEM rods
    • OEM pistons
    • OEM valves
    • OEM springs/retainers
    • OEM camshafts
    • OEM 1-6 Gearset
    • OEM output shaft
    • OEM FWD output shaft
    • OEM FWD Clutch housing
    • OEM FWD Clutches
    • OEM FWD Pinion
    • OEM Selector Rings
    • OEM Gear Selector Shafts
    • OEM 1-R Shift Fork
    • OEM Air Guide/Duct
    • OEM throttle bodies
    • OEM MAF sensors
    • OEM MAP sensor
    • OEM Shifter Surround
    • OEM stub axles

Where Things Stand Now:
    • Over $250k in Parts & Labor through Forged Performance
    • Forged has stated the Tech who handled OPs GTR has been fired & is no longer with shop.
    • Forged has refused to reimburse OP unless the GTR is sent back to their shop to be repaired (will not cover repair costs while car is in TopSpeed's possession).
    • OP is pursuing legal action to recover lost investment.

After 100k+ views, Forged Performance has finally released this statement:
    Click here to enlarge

Following that post, the thread has been closed from Public View and is limited to OP + Forged Performance's comment/viewing. It'll be very interesting to see where things fall with the OPs GTR & Forged Performance. Unfortunately, the OP should've done a little research because it seems this isn't the first time Forged's work has been called into question (http://www.myg37.com/forums/vendor-c...-tt-build.html)

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a $#@!ing pos company and what a money pit the gtr owner got into...he could have had a DD 997 TT that would wipe everything for 320-350K!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Well this makes SSP not look so bad.

Man, W T F? Please tell me this company is dead?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Damn..... $250k into a barely working GTR? $#@!, coulda bought two Gallardos and 50 hookers with that cash...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I'd rather have 10 quality hookers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This should be front paged imo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    This should be front paged imo.
    Well nissanboost.com and importboost.com aren't up yet...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Please tell me this company is dead?
    Forged Performance is still up & running as of today, but it's gonna be real interesting how they attempt to keep the business afloat after this fiasco because the shop's reputation = $#@!. Hopefully they make things right with the OP instead of going to court, without a doubt it'll be the smarter/cheaper option for them.

Goes to show you though how powerful the internet & auto enthusiasts forums can be, especially when a build goes incredibly successful (Maximum PSI's E46 M3 turbo kit) or ends in a huge failure (Forged Performance).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

This isn't the first time this has happened at forged. A few years ago the something happened to a 350z. Same story pretty much. Guy brought it in for a tt kit, spent a massive amount of money, car was delayed, delayed, delayed, finally the owner got fed up took it to another shop and they discovered issues like these. Of course forged blamed the tech working on the car and fired him.

If it were me, I'd be going to someone much more reputable than on a online forum. Someone with great numbers who continues to build on a platform. Yup, ams.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My momma told me never trust anyone named Sharif.

Seriously though,that is absolutely disgusting work. That is something you would expect to see if the turbo kit was slapped together in the car at your buddys garage on a friday night after drinking a 12 pack. And for the type of money the owner spent I would expect to see machined billet spacers instead of 1/2" galvanized washers if all else failed and the driveshaft cradle HAD to be spaced for clearance. There is no excuse other then they just didnt a crap&figured the owner would never discover the hack job.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Forged Performance is still up & running as of today, but it's gonna be real interesting how they attempt to keep the business afloat after this fiasco because the shop's reputation = $#@!. Hopefully they make things right with the OP instead of going to court, without a doubt it'll be the smarter/cheaper option for them.

Goes to show you though how powerful the internet & auto enthusiasts forums can be, especially when a build goes incredibly successful (Maximum PSI's E46 M3 turbo kit) or ends in a huge failure (Forged Performance).
    I just bought pistons and rods from forged for my GTR build. Hoping they will be cutthroat on prices now to stay afloat. I do most of my own work so I just would like to take advantage of the situation to save on the cost of parts. Best time to buy is when there is blood on the streets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I just bought pistons and rods from forged for my GTR build. Hoping they will be cutthroat on prices now to stay afloat. I do most of my own work so I just would like to take advantage of the situation to save on the cost of parts. Best time to buy is when there is blood on the streets.
    That's helpful...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    This isn't the first time this has happened at forged. A few years ago the something happened to a 350z. Same story pretty much. Guy brought it in for a tt kit, spent a massive amount of money, car was delayed, delayed, delayed, finally the owner got fed up took it to another shop and they discovered issues like these. Of course forged blamed the tech working on the car and fired him.

If it were me, I'd be going to someone much more reputable than on a online forum. Someone with great numbers who continues to build on a platform. Yup, ams.
    Yea, that might be the G37 thread. Somebody brought them their car to have a GTM TT kit installed, aiming for a comfortable 500 WHP. Kit was installed & motor got blown "tuning" on the dyno. When the owner came by to see the shop & see the car, it got a very similar treatment as the GTR -- Things were hacked up so it'd forcefully fit (the air intake was rubbing against the tire). GTM was so mad when they saw how their kit had been installed, they dropped Forged Performance as an authorized vendor of their product line. Sharif posted the exact same, BS kinda response:

This will likely be my only post on this matter.

Forged Performance has been in business for over 5 years, and we literally work on about 400 cars each year and have thousands of satisfied customers. We are here 6 days a week working and managing 30-40 project cars at a time with the 11 employees on the payroll. We've performed everything from simple bolt on's, to full race car prep and custom fabrication. Our consistent track record is well noted on various forums we have always been one of the leading Nissan tuning shops on the country. I've personally tuned several hundreds of Nissan's with a pattern of safety and reliability.

That said, our shop is no different from many others in that we aren't perfect, and we do make mistakes. The people that worked on this customer's car were terminated long ago, and no longer work here. In fact, we haven't worked on this car for well over a year. Clearly, the pictures posted are not representative of the type of work we perform on a daily basis, and there is no excuse for it.

Kinda convinced he has that saved on his computer so he can Copy & Paste when an owner has a bad experience and posts it on the forum. IMO, the "we're all human + make mistakes" excuse is absolute bull$#@! that doesn't float. If you have that much trouble keeping track of what needs to be done during the build, make a checklist.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89
    IMO, the "we're all human + make mistakes" excuse is absolute bull$#@! that doesn't float. If you have that much trouble keeping track of what needs to be done during the build, make a checklist.
    Mistakes happen, however those mistakes should be corrected before ANY product or project advances. The fact that the shop is OK with cutting corners tells you that they're should never be trusted.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

You pay a Professional NOT TO MAKE MISTAKES,thats why they call them Professionals. And IF there is a mistake it is adressed & rectified immediatley and re-checked to make sure its PERFECT before the bill is paid and the car(or whatever) leaves the damn shop.. No excuses that "nobody is perfect". That excuse is bull$#@! when you PAY a speed shop to do the labor. WTF is wrong with people/shop owners???? If we wanted mistakes on our project cars we would do it ourselves(for the most part lol)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    His math doesnt add up. 30-40 cars a week but only 400 cars a year? It should be 1,560....why does it seem that theres always a problem with a guy named Sharif, or Abid...sounds like a bazaar market dude looking to take all your money lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast