Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Cobalt SS: Project 25G

Sup guys, as some of you may know my last big turbo blew. Here is my last build thread you can follow it here: Cobalt SS: Project EFR

This is my new setup I have ready for testing by my tuner. This is a custom turbo, I might get some things wrong but here it goes. It is a td06 compressor housing with a 3" inlet and a 2" outlet. The compressor wheel size is Inducer 60.5mm exducer 78mm. It is pretty much comparable to a Gt35r. The compressor wheel size of my EFR is 53.9mm inducer and 67mm exducer. The new turbo is significantly bigger, and most likely will have much more noticeable lag as well.

Anyways, I think we can hit 500whp with this turbo on 100/e85 mix. The thing is I need fuel now to aid this larger turbo. I'm going to dyno on 91 octane at 20 psi, see if I can hit 400whp as a DD. Then tune/dyno for racegas etc when the weather cools down a bit.

The install will be this Saturday. Hopefully the install will be smooth and easy without any issues. Now it's time to show off some pictures Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very nice! Are you doing any upgraded drivetrain components? Are you on the sticking with the stock motor for now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ihc95 Click here to enlarge
    Very nice! Are you doing any upgraded drivetrain components? Are you on the sticking with the stock motor for now?
    Thanks man! I currently have a clutch. I'm looking for a new transmission with LSD sometime, but not now. I'm looking to build the $#@! up, I mean that's what I was saving up for before my other turbo blew. I spent the money on this kit now LOL. So back to square one!
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Congrats. How much fueling support do you need?? Injectors?? Pump(s)?? AND finally, when you planning on getting the 100/E85 tune?
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Congrats. How much fueling support do you need?? Injectors?? Pump(s)?? AND finally, when you planning on getting the 100/E85 tune?
    Thanks bro! I need injectors lol. So far I can either go the Shiv way with 20 meth nozzles. Or go the other route with a 5th injector setup. For now lets see what we can make while maxing it out. I plan on doing the 100/e85 tune when the weather cools sometime in october. I don't want to push my car on stock internals in hot ass weather. If I build her up by then, I'll probably do it sooner. 500whp or bust!
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Nice man let us know how it goes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Nice looking kit! Any more details on what happened to the EFR?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Nice looking kit! Any more details on what happened to the EFR?
    I will find out more on Saturday lol. Im anxious to see how it is as well. Ill take pics n a video of it, if its that bad lol
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Crap maybe I should add what I have on right now too LOL.

My current mod list is a (blown) 6758 EFR, TTR intake manifold, Badmab 3" catless downpipe stock resonator no muffler straight piped, KN Short ram intake, CX racing intercooler, Ky stage 3 clutch, ZZP front and rear transmission mounts, CM springs. Nitto Nt05 245/40/18 up front.

The parts I am adding/changing are the new custom 25g turbo, OTTP Cold and Hot charge pipes with HKS SSQV 3. ZZP Lower charge pipes and MAF relocate kit.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

What other cars did this motor go in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What other cars did this motor go in?
    LNF engine is in cobalt ss from 08-10
    HHR SS 08-10
    Solstice GXP I believe 07-idk
    Saturn Sky redline 07-idk
    Fisker Karma

That's all I know of. I remember wikipedia had a list too.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Install is today! wish me luck guys, I hope it all goes smooth and easy!
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I'm jealous that you can make 400+ on stock internals

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    I'm jealous that you can make 400+ on stock internals
    Yea, but it still prone to blowing out at those power levels. Piston rings are weak, one day soon enough I will build her up.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just saw this on Css.fail... but this should be dopee
    A very Slow cobalt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bignicky1 Click here to enlarge
    Just saw this on Css.fail... but this should be dopee
    Haha yea css.fail. dont worry there will be domesticboost coming here soon. Right @Sticky?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Haha yea css.fail. dont worry there will be domesticboost coming here soon. Right @Sticky ?
    Didn't you see this? http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...-makes-of-cars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

$#@! noo im atill doing turbo swap. Lots of complicatiins. This turbo is too big lol.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So about 21 hours later, we have the kit installed. I know, I know it seems rediculus for any shop to need 21 hours for a turbo install. Well this kit is a custom on off kit and I am never doing this again LOL. Every damn thing we wanted to do, we had to modify! From bending the sidewall in, to cutting coolant hoses and oil drain to make fit. The charge pipes had to be cut as well, nothing wanted to work out for some reason. The turbo is installed with one issue a coolant banjo cracked. For now I'm not running any coolant in the turbo and I'm looking for some new coolant lines now. I connected all my solenoid boost/vacuum lines correctly but I still dont get the bov noise. I get surge and I need to figure it out. There is one thing I have left to try and hopefully it resolves this issue. Other than that, it feels good to have boost back. I havent done any WOT pulls. The turbo seals are still breaking in etc and will take time. Tuning as well will need time cause this is a MAF relocate as well and needs to be tuned with that in mind. Here are some pics!

The EFR being pulled out:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The sickest shot of the day to me, honestly the money shot. Here is the evolution:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The EFR will not be working anytime soon lol:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

No turbo in the car:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Lots of test fitting for this housing, had to keep grinding a part:

Click here to enlarge

Finally after 2 hours of bending the firewall and countless times of trying to fit the turbo in:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

As you can see we had to cut lines to make them fit before and after:

Click here to enlarge

The wires there are holding the heat shield for the coolant line lol. They are connected by a hose and 2 worm clamps.

Click here to enlarge

As you can see the sun is rising, one of the last parts we had to cut the charge pipe:

Click here to enlarge

And the final piece:

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The sickest shot of the day to me, honestly the money shot. Here is the evolution:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...44ed6e82-1.jpg
    Yikes man... That turbo is nutty! Holy cow - that's awesome. Seeing them together like that puts things into perspective. Best of luck with things - can't wait to hear more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hell yahh!
    A very Slow cobalt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

So about 21 hours later, we have the kit installed. I know, I know it seems rediculus for any shop to need 21 hours for a turbo install. Well this kit is a custom on off kit and I am never doing this again LOL. Every damn thing we wanted to do, we had to modify! From bending the sidewall in, to cutting coolant hoses and oil drain to make fit. The charge pipes had to be cut as well, nothing wanted to work out for some reason. The turbo is installed with one issue a coolant banjo cracked. For now I'm not running any coolant in the turbo and I'm looking for some new coolant lines now. I connected all my solenoid boost/vacuum lines correctly but I still dont get the bov noise. I get surge and I need to figure it out. There is one thing I have left to try and hopefully it resolves this issue. Other than that, it feels good to have boost back. I havent done any WOT pulls. The turbo seals are still breaking in etc and will take time. Tuning as well will need time cause this is a MAF relocate as well and needs to be tuned with that in mind. Here are some pics!

The EFR being pulled out:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...a7c63296-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...75df76e8-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...44ed6e82-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...90d0baeb-1.jpg

The EFR will not be working anytime soon lol:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...d32a897b-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...da6f5a18-1.jpg

No turbo in the car:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...db05460b-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...aaf52504-1.jpg

Lots of test fitting for this housing, had to keep grinding a part:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...ca53685b-1.jpg

Finally after 2 hours of bending the firewall and countless times of trying to fit the turbo in:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...cb35b38f-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...a91bd4aa-1.jpg

As you can see we had to cut lines to make them fit before and after:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...a75b7b1d-1.jpg

The wires there are holding the heat shield for the coolant line lol. They are connected by a hose and 2 worm clamps.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...e9fa5eea-1.jpg

As you can see the sun is rising, one of the last parts we had to cut the charge pipe:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...290d7693-1.jpg

And the final piece:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...ef27a986-1.jpg
    Great updates here.

How many people are successfully running this turbo on the cobalt?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Great updates here.

How many people are successfully running this turbo on the cobalt?
    Thanks bro. The only person that had something like this on their was was my tuner. He custom made one for himself, and now he made one for me. I think he went bigger than what I have now. So what I'm trying to say is nobody. I'm the only person that has this turbo on the cobalt SS. Custom one off kit, that only I have Click here to enlarge.

Updates, I fixed my BOV. One of the lines wasn't getting enough vacuum so I had to change the lines to some fatter ones. I'm getting some new silicone couplers and a new steel braided line for coolant so I don't have to worry about that. Hopefully all will be installed tomorrow and I can begin the real tuning. My wastegate needs to be adjusted too cause I'm not boosting more than 15 psi, it's too loose. Pretty badass turbo though, that $#@! flows.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I demand more updates and videos, I'm a visual learner for pete sakes!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1Zed4 Click here to enlarge
    I demand more updates and videos, I'm a visual learner for pete sakes!
    Soon, soon! I fixed my coolant leak, my BOV is fixed. I slightly fixed my wastegate so I'm spooling faster and now holding more boost. I need to be tuned a little more before I post anything right now LOL.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast