Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPEC Clutch throwout bearing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

SPEC Clutch throwout bearing?

I'm currently running a Spec Stg 2+ clutch with Spec's steel single mass flywheel.

I've tried both Spec's current throwout bearing -- which is now based on the stock design so it can be installed in either the low or high position -- as well as the stock BMW bearing.

In both cases -- with the throwout bearing installed in the low setting ---the engagement point is toward the very top of the pedal travel (though it is just a bit lower with the stock throwout bearing).

What is the experience of others who have installed a Spec clutch?

Thanks.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

My engagement point is also near the top of the pedal travel. After 3K miles i've gotten used to it and don't even notice it anymore.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My engagement point is also near the top of the pedal travel. After 3K miles i've gotten used to it and don't even notice it anymore.
    My concern is that the lenght of the to bearing may, as the disc wears, prevent full engagement and in that manner cause premature slip/disc glazing.

BTW, my understanding is that Spec previously offered three different height to bearings (low, mid, high) before they moved to their current stock-based design.

I'd prefer a lower engagement point and am trying to determine if there is a cost-effective way to obtain it.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    My concern is that the lenght of the to bearing may, as the disc wears, prevent full engagement and in that manner cause premature slip/disc glazing.

BTW, my understanding is that Spec previously offered three different height to bearings (low, mid, high) before they moved to their current stock-based design.

I'd prefer a lower engagement point and am trying to determine if there is a cost-effective way to obtain it.

Neil
    Neil,

I've had the same experience with my 3+/steel FW, which I believe is properly broken in now. I'm curious to see how it plays out. It's been a particularly interesting adjustment after coming from the ACT Street...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

There is no way to adjust the clutch pedal I take it? Well no built in way?

If you are stuck with it releasing so high you could modify the mount or pedal itself so it would release lower no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    There is no way to adjust the clutch pedal I take it? Well no built in way?

If you are stuck with it releasing so high you could modify the mount or pedal itself so it would release lower no?
    Correct and changing the engagement point is not easily done with a hydraulically-actuated clutch.

It was so much easier in the old days with cables!

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I use the short mounting position(like it was with stock clutch and bearing)
    Engagement is near the middle. maybe a few inch higher than stock, not really much, drives great.

I did receive the Spec TO bearing with the tall position which didn't really work for me and was also not adjustable.
    There was no play whatsoever on the fork that moves the TO bearing. That didnt seem right.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

why not try intalling a clutch stop($20~)? it will shorten your clutch travel giving the feeling that its lower

i can show you a picture how my clutch looks after 30k~ miles and about half of those miles with the clutch stop installed
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    why not try intalling a clutch stop($20~)? it will shorten your clutch travel giving the feeling that its lower

i can show you a picture how my clutch looks after 30k~ miles and about half of those miles with the clutch stop installed
    I think I can speak on behalf of Neil when I say that our concern isn't a question of preferring a lower grab point because we like how it feels; the issue is that as clutches wear, the engagement point goes higher and higher. Since the engagement point is already high, if the clutch wear progresses to a point where the TO Bearing prevents the clutch from fully disengaging, that will cause the clutch to slip/glaze prematurely, which would force a premature clutch replacement (since the symptoms of clutch/PP wear would be exhibited by the TO bearing not fully disengaging from the fulcrum point on the PP, not because the clutch is completely worn). Short of getting a new, even shorter TO bearing, not sure how this would be resolved.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

Not that this helps you spec guys any, but I have now installed the SouthBend stage 4 into our stage 3 car, very very streetable and easy to drive, and the Spec 3+ with aluminum SMFW, very very streetable as well and great feel. SB clutch has a very low engagement point, much lower then stock, anyone who drives the car and is used to a stock clutch stalls the car first time every time. Where the spec 3+ has a higher engagement point. I used the stock TOB with the Southbend clutch at the low setting. Maybe this is the way to go?
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 560WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quite right, but my concern is that the too tall to bearing will prevent the clutch from fully engaging which, in turn, would cause slip and glaze the disc.

BTW, I'm now thinking the problem may have been my screw-up. Not yet certain, but I may have confused the tall position and short position.

I'll post up once I've figured it out for sure.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Not that this helps you spec guys any, but I have now installed the SouthBend stage 4 into our stage 3 car, very very streetable and easy to drive, and the Spec 3+ with aluminum SMFW, very very streetable as well and great feel. SB clutch has a very low engagement point, much lower then stock, anyone who drives the car and is used to a stock clutch stalls the car first time every time. Where the spec 3+ has a higher engagement point. I used the stock TOB with the Southbend clutch at the low setting. Maybe this is the way to go?
    Tony -

Thanks. Really appreciate all of your contributions to the N54 community!

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

I went with a mid engagement TO setting and its broken itself in a bit higher now. I like it and this has to be the best feeling aftermarket clutch setup so far. Fairly smooth engagement yet grabby and no noise on engagement.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I went with a mid engagement TO setting and its broken itself in a bit higher now. I like it and this has to be the best feeling aftermarket clutch setup so far. Fairly smooth engagement yet grabby and no noise on engagement.
    Dzenno -

Spec no longer offers low, mid and high to bearings. Their current design (which was provided with my kit) is based on the stock bearing, which can be installed in two different positions (low and high).

I think I may have confused which was which.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

@MDORPHN:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...highlight=spec

have a look in this thread. I've posted some pictures with the TO bearings I got with my Spec Stage3+ Kit.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    @MDORPHN :
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...highlight=spec

have a look in this thread. I've posted some pictures with the TO bearings I got with my Spec Stage3+ Kit.
    Interesting thread.

It seems that your problem was opposite mine. Your clutch wasn't disengaging -- presumably 'cause the to bearing was too short. Mine may not be fully engaging 'cause the to bearing is too tall.

Thanks.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Interesting thread.

It seems that your problem was opposite mine. Your clutch wasn't disengaging -- presumably 'cause the to bearing was too short. Mine may not be fully engaging 'cause the to bearing is too tall.
    Nope mine was not disengaging because my friction disc was too thick.

which setting did you use?
    I use the 28,5mm setting.

Click here to enlarge
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Nope mine was not disengaging because my friction disc was too thick.

which setting did you use?
    I use the 28,5mm setting.

Click here to enlarge
    I admit to being confused by this!

In any event, my current plan is to reinstall the to bearing in the short (28.5 mm) mounting position.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Another reference for the two positions in which the stock to bearing may be installed.

Click here to enlarge

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The attachment doesn't work for me.

I think you will be fine with short mounting position(28,5mm setting).
    Do you remember which setting you had with the stock clutch?
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

T\
    Do you remember which setting you had with the stock clutch?
    Unfortunately, I do not.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Another reference for the two positions in which the stock to bearing may be installed.

http://mail.aol.com/37655-111/aol-6/...Inbox&partId=1

Neil
    As I understand it, the lower height position (#1) -- which is the "short mounting position" in the picture posted by lorddrinkalot -- will bring the bearing farther away from the diaphragm fingers making engagement lower.

Neil
    Last edited by MDORPHN; 04-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Neil, The bearing that we provide matches the stock dimensions exactly and should be installed as the original bearing was with orientation set by the installer. If you need the bearing on the low setting and install it on the high setting it will inherently raise the engagement point. Be sure that orientation is the same as your original bearing and this should leave engagement in a position similar to the stock unit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SPEC-01 Click here to enlarge
    Neil, The bearing that we provide matches the stock dimensions exactly and should be installed as the original bearing was with orientation set by the installer. If you need the bearing on the low setting and install it on the high setting it will inherently raise the engagement point. Be sure that orientation is the same as your original bearing and this should leave engagement in a position similar to the stock unit.
    Thanks for the post.
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the post.
    +1.

Neil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast