Close

Thread: My S2K

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My S2K

I bought this car in Jan '09 off eBay with the intent of making it a fun canyon and backroad car. At the time my daily was a Volvo V70R, which is a fun wagon for cruising and covering distances, but not particularly nimble.

Here is the car stock when I picked it up.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The car had 94k miles on it at this time. Got the car home and did basic maintenance. Compression test rang up as 214 psi across all cylinders when corrected for altitude, which I thought was great for a 9 year old, nearly 100k motor that revs out to 9k. Stock is ~225psi.

The car ran great stock once I replaced just about every accessory/belt/pump on the thing. But who the hell drives a stock Honda?

First mod: wheels & tires

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

and if you are wondering why the car is so dirty, here's what it was like outside:

Click here to enlarge

The car still had the stock exhaust, which was heavy and too quiet. I addressed this with a T1R 70RT, which is a full titanium header-back that weighs 8 lbs. It's loud as $#@!, too.

Not my car, but this gives an idea.

You can't see $#@! out of the stock mirrors, so I replaced those with APR CF mirrors with wide-angle glass. Also shaved some weight here by removing the OEM motor, housing, etc.

Click here to enlarge

The stock suspension was getting really tired, and the car looked like a 4x4. Time to fix that...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Much better

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Going from the stock dual exhaust to a single meant that there was an empty hole on the driver side of the bumper. Yuck.

Click here to enlarge
    Being a Honda, the car requires some more CF parts, so on went an exhaust cap.

Click here to enlarge

The T1R exhaust is far too loud for the street - attention from cops and the ricers was too much for me. So I picked up an HKS 75mm single for use on the street, and a Berk Technologies test pipe, because I hate baby penguins.

Click here to enlarge

How the car sits in street mode:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

So now the car handles and looks like I want, but it's still lacking for power. Enter Science of Speed.

Click here to enlarge

Good for ~318rwhp at sea level at stage 1... Dyno up in Denver shows about 270rwhp. Click here to enlarge

Also went with the SoS sport clutch and lightweight (8lbs) flywheel. It took a while to get used to the grab and having to keep revs up due to lower inertia, but the car is a blast to drive and revs super fast.

Here's a time lapse vid I made of the install with two of my friends helping out. The camera battery ran out so I didn't get the whole install. You can see my E30 325iX in the back.

Just realized I don't have any pics online of the engine bay with the S/C in there. I'll get some and update the thread. For now, here is a vid of the car after everything was installed in 2011.

Last year was all about my 335is, and then I traded that out for my Cayman S. Now that I have the Cayman for bombing back roads, I've pretty much settled on stripping the S2K out as a dedicated track car. It's already most of the way there... needs a cage, hard top, seats and safety equipment to be fully set. I'll post updates as I make progress.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i owned two of these back in the day... in 02 no one had any idea what it was... i was constalty asked what kind of car and get all the compliments in the world...

recently I sat in one and i have no idea how I dealt with the lack of space... but i was ran off the road by a drunk in my 02 spun out hit a few things and walked away but no hard impacts I was lucky... bought another one with the insurance money than traded it in as soon as I saw the G35 coupe which I fell in love with lol...

but that motor is amazing and the tranny is one of the best out there at any price point... its a very fun car to drive if you fit in it... at 6-2 210 its kinda hard for me to not be uncomfortable

way to throw some boost at it!!! They love boost....

ps i have a 325xi too, lol
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    and a Berk Technologies test pipe, because I hate baby penguins.
    LOL!

Great thread and pics, awesome. You seem to really like the car.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice ride(s) bro... Love the variety and the S2K is well thought out. How do you like the Science of Speed kit?
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The loud exhaust sounded glorious!!! Are you putting it back on now that you are making it a dedicated track car? Real cool car man.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    its a very fun car to drive if you fit in it... at 6-2 210 its kinda hard for me to not be uncomfortable

way to throw some boost at it!!! They love boost....

ps i have a 325xi too, lol
    Yeah, I'm over 6' and it's a bit tight for me. Going to try and get the racing seat as low as possible to get some headroom. Nice on the 325... they are a pain but fun when they do run. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Nice ride(s) bro... Love the variety and the S2K is well thought out. How do you like the Science of Speed kit?
    Thanks man - the SoS kit is really nice. The car actually has some guts now on the low cam, and then VTEC pulls like a mofo all the way to 9k. A turbo would give more ultimate power, but these S/C kits are a lot easier to deal with and make the car a lot of fun.

The loud can is definitely going back on as part of track prep. There's no way it will pass any kind of noise regs, so good to have the other in hand for tracks that enforce limits.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    LOL!

Great thread and pics, awesome. You seem to really like the car.
    Thanks brotha. I've got about $18k in this thing total, and I can't think of another car for that money that would give this kind of performance and reliability. I think the only way I would sell is to raise funds for a 991 GT3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome thread and awesome car. Thanks for the post
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks brotha. I've got about $18k in this thing total, and I can't think of another car for that money that would give this kind of performance and reliability. I think the only way I would sell is to raise funds for a 991 GT3.
    Why blower and no turbo though? Seems you want a turbo on this motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why blower and no turbo though? Seems you want a turbo on this motor.
    For big power you want a turbo. Stage II SoS blower will approach 400whp which to me is plenty for road course and HPDE. If I wanted a drag strip project car, I'd have bought a Fox body Mustang... Click here to enlarge

A few more pics of the car using a real DSLR...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For big power you want a turbo. Stage II SoS blower will approach 400whp which to me is plenty for road course and HPDE. If I wanted a drag strip project car, I'd have bought a Fox body Mustang...
    I understand but I meant more about the power delivery though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ron?
    i've always loved s2000's. wish it were white.
    i give away free stickers...lol
    phillyb hates me!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I understand but I meant more about the power delivery though.
    Perhaps he didn't want turbo lag due to its adverse affects on accelerating out of corners.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by phillyb™ Click here to enlarge
    ron?
    i've always loved s2000's. wish it were white.
    If you are asking if I am ron, I am not. And I would love to have GP White but the price break getting this from eBay was too good to worry about color.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps he didn't want turbo lag due to its adverse affects on accelerating out of corners.
    Forgot to come back to Sticky's question, but you definitely answered it for me. With no TC on the AP1, the more progressive power on the supercharged setup is better for road course running. I'm acquainted with a guy that had a 700hp AP1 drag car, which ended up getting wrecked off track. That car was nuts, and a total handful if you wanted to get everything out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Forgot to come back to Sticky's question, but you definitely answered it for me. With no TC on the AP1, the more progressive power on the supercharged setup is better for road course running. I'm acquainted with a guy that had a 700hp AP1 drag car, which ended up getting wrecked off track. That car was nuts, and a total handful if you wanted to get everything out of it.
    Makes sense. If I were to do one I'd want a good spooling turbo setup simply because the centrifugal will make it even more of a dog down low and lessen response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Makes sense. If I were to do one I'd want a good spooling turbo setup simply because the centrifugal will make it even more of a dog down low and lessen response.
    The response of the stock car below 5k is so bad that even the centrifugal blower improves things. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The response of the stock car below 5k is so bad that even the centrifugal blower improves things. Click here to enlarge
    Heh ya probably. I was thinking a turbo should spool way before 5k.

The S2000 sounds fun and they are priced so well. Might be a fun summer car... even if I am honda-averse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats nice. i was price shopping these prior to persuading my bro about the xi. Id do the same thing your doing, suspension blower and all, and just have a very very fun weekend roadcourse car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ceramic BB turbo W/ custom twin scroll headers....Click here to enlarge