Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Open source ecu flashing system on the way?

Anybody have details on this?
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like he was able to crack the seed/key algorithm. However he's not responding to any pm's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    we need to get him on this board. if i remember correctly shiv already reached out to him and is helping him.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, I started working on this earlier this month, they have a great start already. I was stuck after reading (what I believed was) the bin since it's apparently encrypted. My little laptop doesn't crack things so well.

Can't wait to get some tunerpro xdf's going. This is good news for our hero's. I'd say someone should get them over here (I can't post there for a few more days) but I don't mind the commute to nazipost for that thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is kind of a dream come true if everything is opened and available... It will be just like the Evo world.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

12 out of 12 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I applaud his efforts, seriously. That being said, I wish that he would do his own work for table discovery instead of stealing mine and posting about it on a public forum with Shiv's support.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha, truth exposed finally

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    no wonder shiv is all over it Click here to enlarge

Josh- i guess there is no legal action you can take, i'm guessing no but its a long shot. I'd be pissed.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    no wonder shiv is all over it Click here to enlarge

Josh- i guess there is no legal action you can take, i'm guessing no but its a long shot. I'd be pissed.
    Its frustrating, but is it worth legal action? ...we'll see. I'm more amazed that no one cares that he blatantly stated in a public post that he's stealing IP and Shiv immediately jumped in to support (not so surprised about the Shiv part). Not sure why everyone thinks they're going to now get amazing new discoveries in the DME... If they need someone else's info, what are they going to be offering that's new? Where does the support come from for "free" software? Most of the markets we support have opensource solutions. There's a reason why we still dominate them. Good luck to them on the project, I just wish they had more realistic expectations and better ethics.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    I applaud his efforts, seriously. That being said, I wish that he would do his own work for table discovery instead of stealing mine and posting about it on a public forum with Shiv's support.
    Is it confirmed? I assumed it was but I haven't seen any statements about it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Is it confirmed? I assumed it was but I haven't seen any statements about it.
    I'm just going by what is said by the "hacker" in the posts, who offered help, and more than similar table names. Could be stealing IP from someone else, but either way it's not his own work and he stated that in his first post.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I'm a huge cobb supporter and have stated before that I hope this doesn't hurt their business. Don't take this the wrong way but Cobb figured out how to get inside of the OEM DME so it was only a matter of time.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    I'm a huge cobb supporter and have stated before that I hope this doesn't hurt their business. Don't take this the wrong way but Cobb figured out how to get inside of the OEM DME so it was only a matter of time.
    Oh, we're not the only people capable of the project, and that's what I meant by saying that I applaud the effort. We also spent a lot of time on table discovery and getting an understanding of the logic. I would hope they do the same
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, we're not the only people capable of the project, and that's what I meant by saying that I applaud the effort. We also spent a lot of time on table discovery and getting an understanding of the logic. I would hope they do the same
    I completely support open source work. That being said, its not for everyone. I would think most users would still turn to cobb for the support.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm just going by what is said by the "hacker" in the posts, who offered help, and more than similar table names. Could be stealing IP from someone else, but either way it's not his own work and he stated that in his first post.
    Well he does work for Apple and likes pointing it out. So I'm assuming he'll be patenting open source tuning soon enough. Then start suing. You have been warned.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Well he does work for Apple and likes pointing it out. So I'm assuming he'll be patenting open source tuning soon enough. Then start suing. You have been warned.
    LOL
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

LOL

look at how little map sharing there is even with ATR available. I seriously doubt you're losing much if anything at all. the average N54 owner doesn't even know what they're putting in their car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    look at how little map sharing there is even with ATR available. I seriously doubt you're losing much if anything at all. the average N54 owner doesn't even know what they're putting in their car.
    Like I said, we have other markets with opensource software... we still sell product and lead those markets. I appreciate you guys supporting us and we'll keep pushing anything we can with the DME. Always big plans in the works Click here to enlarge
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Like I said, we have other markets with opensource software... we still sell product and lead those markets. I appreciate you guys supporting us and we'll keep pushing anything we can with the DME. Always big plans in the works Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Love my AP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm hugely in support of the effort, and glad shiv is contributing as that definitely pushed it forward a couple months almost instantly. But from the more recent posts it's painfully obvious the tables came from comparing Cobb files. Not that it's not expected, though.

I still love my ap either way, but I'm also glad I won't have to shell out again for a second one for my other car, which I wasn't planning on doing anyway. This will make things more convenient. I hope they at least mention Cobb, as backhanded as that may be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For me, I'm most interested in learning more about the program flow / logic within the ECU. The control of a table read or real time sensor reads and the adjustments that are made to the system depending on them have always interested me.

I can program but have never done so within embedded systems.

As a hobby this is exciting from a learning standpoint. I don't know anything about the rigor or discipline with in the automotive open source community but right now, I feel more comfortable with a a solution that a company like Cobb offers at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I'm hugely in support of the effort, and glad shiv is contributing as that definitely pushed it forward a couple months almost instantly. But from the more recent posts it's painfully obvious the tables came from comparing Cobb files. Not that it's not expected, though.

I still love my ap either way, but I'm also glad I won't have to shell out again for a second one for my other car, which I wasn't planning on doing anyway. This will make things more convenient. I hope they at least mention Cobb, as backhanded as that may be.
    For what it's worth we're a Cobb reseller in regard to flash tuning and strongly support them. We were doing N54 flash tuning a couple years before Cobb offered it. They just happen to offer a great package that fits our current flash tuning needs at a reasonable price.

But the flash data is out there for those that care to find it. Open source will cut in to Cobb's market share BUT the market is growing exponentially so I don't think it will curb their revenue growth. For example we've been growing at a phenomenal rate despite Cobb taking up a large share of the tuning market. There are just so many cars out there these days looking for tuning.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they need someone else's info, what are they going to be offering that's new? Where does the support come from for "free" software? Most of the markets we support have opensource solutions. There's a reason why we still dominate them.
    Cobb is still going to be the ultimate solution. Even if open source was released before I bought my Cobb I still would have went with Cobb. I tuned a hydra on my last car w/o any base maps and very little help. I wouldn't want to have to do that again and that's what will happen with BMW open source tuning. This is't an evo/sti forum with thousands of educated tuners to help.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CannonFodder Click here to enlarge
    I completely support open source work. That being said, its not for everyone. I would think most users would still turn to cobb for the support.
    Exactly!

I'm surprised Shiv would support this, it's only going to hurt his business in the long run. The pie is only so big and his slice is getting smaller and smaller.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I want to happen is for the ability for the two o2 sensor banks to be merged into one (ala NickG style for the e46 m3) so we can have a proper single turbo conversion!
    Last edited by 2000max; 04-18-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    I'm surprised Shiv would support this, it's only going to hurt his business in the long run. The pie is only so big and his slice is getting smaller and smaller.
    Just my $.02 on it but he's already been esentially run out of the market with a few exceptions. So from his perspective this is a great opportunity to stay relevant and bolster his reputation. In the long run you are correct that it will just make him that much more irrelevant but its a short term move. When his customers start using this to replace him rather than add his back end flash you'll see him change his "tune" a bit. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast