Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Thinking about picking up a s2000

I have always liked the look of the car, and from I have read they are hoot to drive on the track. Any thoughts on them, and how they are to live with. Keep in mind this is going to be a daily driver more like a auto-x/hpde car.

Hi 5
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I had it before the e92, I will be buying one for the side...If anything I highly highly highly recommend the engine mounts first...As you might be using it for track or street..this will give you a solid feel of a very tail happy light car. Stock I've done 180's spin outs while making a left (US roads) and after the suspensions/etc you can control it. Over all if you are looking for something fun to get around FAST lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Viick Click here to enlarge
    I had it before the e92, I will be buying one for the side...If anything I highly highly highly recommend the engine mounts first...As you might be using it for track or street..this will give you a solid feel of a very tail happy light car. Stock I've done 180's spin outs while making a left (US roads) and after the suspensions/etc you can control it. Over all if you are looking for something fun to get around FAST lol

Keep the info coming. What suspension mods help out a bit? I heard just going to a 17 inch rim/tire helps boat loads. I'm looking into a AP1 2001 car tomorrow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, i was looking at some of these a few days ago as well. goodluck on that. things are beastly when done right

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    lol, i was looking at some of these a few days ago as well. goodluck on that. things are beastly when done right
    Indeed. If I get it I will be spending sometime at the road course at Etown.

Hi 5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly GG, I think it's not a bad idea.

I've ridden in them but never driven. I've thought about it as well as I still like the look and it has a very fun motor. With a turbo they can do some exciting things. Fun summer toy...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get one! Thats my dream weekend car. Interior stripped turbo S2K (or FRS).
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep the info coming. What suspension mods help out a bit? I heard just going to a 17 inch rim/tire helps boat loads. I'm looking into a AP1 2001 car tomorrow.
    Ok AP2 is with the 2.2 liter motor right? But apparently also has some suspension changes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok AP2 is with the 2.2 liter motor right? But apparently also has some suspension changes?
    Correct. AP2 revs to 8000 rpms, and makes about 9-11 torque more. AP1 is the 2.0 that revs to 9000rpms. The AP2 cars under steer a bit more, but are more controllable.The AP2 cars also came with 17 inch rims. The AP1 cars are more prone to snap oversteer, and came with 16 inch rims.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had an AP1 chassis I would suggest going AP2 its the better handling car... However as much as I liked my S it was horrible off cam/VTEC and torqueless. They need to be revved and/or boosted to be better all round IMO. Not a ton of boost a centri blower does well but still leaves some tq on the table down low.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    I had an AP1 chassis I would suggest going AP2 its the better handling car... However as much as I liked my S it was horrible off cam/VTEC and torqueless. They need to be revved and/or boosted to be better all round IMO. Not a ton of boost a centri blower does well but still leaves some tq on the table down low.
    Yea I on s2ki.com it seems like everyone is split on which they like more. Some love the feel of the AP1 more. I'll be looking at a 1 owner car, so if its clean while driving great I'll take it. If not I'll wait until something else rolls around. I don't know if you saw the last RU faster then a redneck, but that AP1 s2000 gave it to those guys sporting more power in every way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i saw it, its actually what made me start looking for a cheap one

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I saw the episode and that car was gutted as I recall and the rednecks didnt drive but so well. In any case the AP1 was 60% as scary as my 89 911 Turbo when I lifted throttle mid corner while driving agressively. Its catchable and with good rubber/suspension its erasable. But its a snap oversteer car vs the AP2 being more forgiving out the box. Either way its a fun ass car bro
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct. AP2 revs to 8000 rpms, and makes about 9-11 torque more. AP1 is the 2.0 that revs to 9000rpms. The AP2 cars under steer a bit more, but are more controllable.The AP2 cars also came with 17 inch rims. The AP1 cars are more prone to snap oversteer, and came with 16 inch rims.
    That 9000 rpm redline is hard to me to ignore. I'm sure the 2.2 can be modified to rev back to 9000 rpm while keeping that torque advantage thanks to displacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yea I on s2ki.com it seems like everyone is split on which they like more. Some love the feel of the AP1 more. I'll be looking at a 1 owner car, so if its clean while driving great I'll take it. If not I'll wait until something else rolls around. I don't know if you saw the last RU faster then a redneck, but that AP1 s2000 gave it to those guys sporting more power in every way.
    You'll definitely want a turbo on the car though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's the pricing on these cars now? Kind of making me want one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hell yea, just imagine the 9k rpm rev limit with a fat turbo to aid it. I love s2k's, $#@! I love them so much.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much power on stock internals? 400's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How much power on stock internals? 400's?
    They have made close to 700 on them. Everything is forged from the factory. Clean AP1's go for around 10-15k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S2000 or NSX?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S2000's make well over 500 once you do the headgasket. That and some other very minor things. Many have done 600+ on the factory blocks minus a headgasket.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Depends on what model you're running. I've driven AP1s and AP2s and I decided that I was an AP2 man. The AP1 suspension is pretty squirrelly. I'd prefer the original F20C5 or whatever it is since the F22C1 only helps so much and it doesn't matter much at the track.

On an F22C1 car, you'd better pick up an 06+ so you can flash tune it (or run a VTEC controller or something on an older one). Because if you shift just before redline, you'll fall out of vtec when you get the next gear. Best way to fix that is either crank up the redline or lower the vtec engagement point.

My 2006 was an absolute blast to drive; definitely the purest car I've ever owned. I always regret selling it, but I got the 335i as a replacement, so it's bittersweet. I had a Hondata Flashpro on my car with a Greddy single exit exhaust (T1 I think?) and a test pipe. Flashed the redline to 8600, lowered the vtec engagement point to 4800 rpms, worked a bit with the timing, etc. The car was amazing to drive and sounded great. I HPDE'd it like that a few times, I don't think I could have with the stock tune due to the vtec issue; because the car literally fell on its face

As for turbocharging; the S2000 head flows amazingly well and has a great cam profile setup for the turbo. They can be a real blast to drive and even the larger turbos will make a ton of more power in the midrange than the car makes stock. Superchargers are probably better for the track IMO though. I've driven a few turbo AP2s. It's REALLY hard to match the feel you get out of that setup.

Dammit I want my S2K back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well I just got back from driving it, and my impression were mixed. Coming from a 636whp, and 581wtq 95 m3 its really hard to like anything else. I'll start with the things I like.

Looks are nice. This car did have all matching vins, but the owner had added rice like fake carbon fiber to the dash. When I opened the hood the valve cover paint was shot. check engine light on due to knock sensor clip being broken towards the rear of the motor. Fuel sending unit needs to be replaced. Transmission was making some odd sounds(maybe throw out bearing is shot). The shifter is super short throw. I'm used to driving my m3 with its shifter. The car felt solid in every other way. Its odd being at 3700 rpms, and there being no torque. LOL. I'm going to have to think about this. Considering this would be replacing my m3, and I don't think I could give up my m3 for a car like this.

Hi 5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Considering this would be replacing my m3, and I don't think I could give up my m3 for a car like this.

Hi 5
    Superb handling car. Snap-oversteer can be predictable. The dash/tach annoyed me but other than that it is a slick effin ride!

If you ever want to use the car for non-track enjoyment - take the wife somewhere for the weekend, go to lunch with a couple colleagues or grab a buddy for a round of golf or whatever is your liking - the car completely fails. Your M3 (unless you have a 55 gallon Meth tank) could perform all of these even in coupe form.

If its a track rat only you will be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My friend picked up a AP2 CR recently. He's now in the process of turning his M3 into a DD because he would rather exclusivly track the S2K :p
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast