Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

17 out of 17 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

N54 Valve cover gasket DIY

Seems this DIY has never been done but it needs to be. It's really not that hard and the dealer charges $1000+ to do this. Ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your car following this tutorial. Worked perfectly for mine so it should for yours as well.

**Before you begin - DISCONNECT BATTERY! You'll be messing with electricity and fuel - not fun!**

Some have stated the 26 bolts need to be replace, some say it is not necessary. BMW stated it is not a common practice, only if a problem is noticed and 99% of the time it is not needed.

Here are the part#'s (thanks to user "joe-" for part#'s):

7544369 bolts x 26
    11127565286 gasket
    11127548063 bolts x 3
    11127556977 bolts x 2

Torque specs:

7-7.4 lbs

Pic of new Valve Cover Gasket:

Click here to enlarge

Remove passenger Side Cross Bar:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Remove Coils:

Click here to enlarge

Remove O2 Sensors:

Click here to enlarge

Remove clips on Fuel Rail to get access to bolts:

Click here to enlarge

...and remove bolts:

Click here to enlarge

...and remove Fuel Line Fitting (HIGHLY suggest doing this with a cool motor to avoid pressure release issues):

Click here to enlarge

...and take Sensor off end of Fuel Rail:

Click here to enlarge

Remove vaccum lines off of Booster Line:

Click here to enlarge

Remove the six (6) connectors on Fuel Injectors, three (3) nuts & wires on Ground Posts with wires, lastly remove three (3) Ground Posts:

Click here to enlarge

You do NOT need an extra long socket to get Ground Posts out - simply put socket on Ground Post and then socket/rachet halfway in socket hole:

Click here to enlarge

Pry open tab CAREFULLY to get connectors off Fuel Injectors:

Click here to enlarge

Remove fittings on all six (6) Fuel Injectors and remove entire Fuel Rail:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Remove Wire Holder connected to valve cover (by this point all wires, connectors, etc should be disconnected) - Note the blue-headed that BMW says need to be replaced. I disagree Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Remove Positive Battery Terminal:

Click here to enlarge

Valve Cover should be able to come off now. Use a putty knife and seperate Valve Cover from Head - do NOT force it or you could crack it. Also, don't gouge the head with any tool you use. I was able to get it loose by just lossening one side:

Click here to enlarge

Cool pics of motor with Valve Cover off - look at that sexy motor LOL:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Get all Gasket material off of Valve Cover and Motor, being careful not to let anything fall into Motor. As you can see below, there's no way this old Valve Cover Gasket was sealing! Had a talk with Rob Beck today regarding this and the gasket not sealing can cause a lot more issues than one might think. The head breathes into the Valve Cover. If the gasket is leaking, it pressurizes your crank case and can cause issues with Turbos, etc. I'll let Rob chime in and elaborate on this.
    Use Valvoline chlorine free parts claener applied to the rag not the surface, dont want to much parts cleaner in the motor LOL!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Clean surface on Motor of all Gasket material - Very important! If you leave it dirty, you will be sorry:

Click here to enlarge

This picture illustrates where the Head breathes into the Valve Cover - have to give Rob Beck credit for this, I had no idea! LOL:

Click here to enlarge

Clean out debris here (I found a bunch of burnt June Bugs in mine! LOL):

Click here to enlarge

New Valve Cover Gasket installed - just push it on:

Click here to enlarge

Insert Spark Plug Guides into Valve Cover before installing it on motor:

Click here to enlarge

Installing Tips:

Really couldn't get pics of this. It's easiest with another pair of hands. Move everything out of the way, the ECU wires go behind Valve Cover easily. Take care not to scrape the Gasket so it falls out. It's really not that difficult - took my wife and I about two minutes to install.

Bolt pattern for tightening I used, I snugged them all then went back and torqued to spec

Click here to enlarge

When putting in bolts, torque down to only 7lbs of torque. Anymore and you will strip the head. Do a bolt pattern - front to back, etc. There's a larger bolt that goes in the right front corner and one that goes in the left rear corner (as you're looking at the car):

Click here to enlarge

TIP: When installing the Fuel Rail, install the bolts first - before you start any fittings otherwise you may strip a bolt hole in the head, like I did (I retapped them easily but much easier if you just don't strip them LOL).

Click here to enlarge

I'd like to send out BIG thanks to Rob Beck for his tips on this job. I appreciate it, man!
    Robc
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Great stuff.

Moved to N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I would rep if I could.
    Great Post. Thank you!
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Excellent work! How many miles did you have on the engine before you swapped the valve cover gasket?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Thank you, I need to do this, and will use this guide!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Great DIY. I need to do this as well but I figured I would get it done with walnut blasting. Just curious, how long did it take?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Apparently I cannot rep you because I repped you yesterday and haven't repped anyone since. Honestly, no one else goes into this level of detail or documents things as concisely. Pictures are what makes threads like this worth it.

Did you think about trying to clean out the cyclonic separators or other parts of the PCV system when you had the valve cover off?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Very nice DIY with lots of attention to detail. Great job!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Excellent work! How many miles did you have on the engine before you swapped the valve cover gasket?
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Apparently I cannot rep you because I repped you yesterday and haven't repped anyone since. Honestly, no one else goes into this level of detail or documents things as concisely. Pictures are what makes threads like this worth it.

Did you think about trying to clean out the cyclonic separators or other parts of the PCV system when you had the valve cover off?
    I appreciate that man! I sprayed them a bit but I am going to just get a new cover with my new head.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Very nice DIY with lots of attention to detail. Great job!
    Thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Great DIY. I need to do this as well but I figured I would get it done with walnut blasting. Just curious, how long did it take?
    Around 3-4 hours....could be done faster though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Repped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Repped
    I appreciate that my friend!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I just got an indie quote for $750 to replace the gasket - you saved me enough to buy a COBB for the BMS flash... Click here to enlarge
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Again, impressive DIY quality @robc1976. Really good stuff man, respect!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Anything with the name valve related to the our car motor I start to get nervous. My previous E92 my heads broke three times, two on the dealer and once on me before I threw teh towel in at the dealer. It all started from them changing the valve cover gasket.

Great DIY though, if I get desperate I might give it a shot when that time comes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWil335i Click here to enlarge
    I just got an indie quote for $750 to replace the gasket - you saved me enough to buy a COBB for the BMS flash... Click here to enlarge
    Sweet!!! You will love the flash!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Again, impressive DIY quality @robc1976 . Really good stuff man, respect!
    I greatly appreciate that my friend!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Excellent tutorial but that doesn't look that easy Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Excellent tutorial but that doesn't look that easy Click here to enlarge
    It is honestly not that bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

And another great DIY. Glad to have you on this board. At around how many miles should it be replaced?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    And another great DIY. Glad to have you on this board. At around how many miles should it be replaced?
    I appreciate that man, I would honestly do this at anything greater than 60,000 miles, a valve cover gasket gone bad can start pressurize your crankcase and give you all sorts of PCV problems....RobBeck actually thinks it can effect turbo performance ect due to the oil feed lines ect rely on the PVC system. I am replacing my valve cover actually...265.00 and it comes with new bolts, gasket and cover. I also highly suggest anyone doing this get the upgraded RB valve also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm in the midst of changing my Valve Cover Gasket on my 07 335i e92. Found a lot of good DIYs for N52s, but the N54 is quite a bit different.

After struggling a bit, I think I'm close! I need to remove 4 bolts thats are integrated to the ground wire bolt, but according to the TIS, I need a specific BMW tool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by royce1988 Click here to enlarge
    I'm in the midst of changing my Valve Cover Gasket on my 07 335i e92. Found a lot of good DIYs for N52s, but the N54 is quite a bit different.

After struggling a bit, I think I'm close! I need to remove 4 bolts thats are integrated to the ground wire bolt, but according to the TIS, I need a specific BMW tool.
    this for the N54, no tool needed...look at step 12 (pic 12).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast