Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

My europipe experience

Just realized I never threw this review up for those interested in the Europipe. This was written in Aug 2012.

After a couple months of looking at difference exhausts and listening to a cross pattern and the europipe exhaust, I pulled the trigger on the stage 1 europipe. As noted by countless members, Stef at europipe was great to work with. Quick to respond, constantly providing updates, worked with me to get my exhaust delivered in time for a local meet. Top notch service from start to finished exhaust.

The exhaust was the standard amazing europipe top quality. I had the experts over at AMS throw it on and got some seat time to enjoy the lovely new note.

The europipe changes all aspects of the exhaust note. At idle, the stock note on my car had a moderate bass note but with a lot of metallic noises. When reved, it provided a rough throaty note but sounding like it was stuffed with sound reducing materials. Once you got on the gas, the exhaust had a singular nature that didnít vary much. It was at times not distinguishable from the ďsuper vacuumĒ sounds of the engine. It was a far cry from what I would expect from a car with a sticker price in the 6 figures.

The first exhaust I heard was a cross pattern exhaust from 911tuning on a 996 running with about 650hp. The exhaust was very refined at start up and provided a naturally aspirated sound. It was significantly better than stock providing an almost clean sound compared to the roughness I had gotten accustom to with the stock system. I had a quick ride and it was a great system that I leaning towards due to Markís impeccable reputation in the 996 market.

However, I heard the europipe and realized I loved the turbo sound over the gt3 like sound of the cross pattern.

With the europipe, the carís note has been dropped at least one octave and maybe more. Small blimp of the gas under 1.5k rpms sends a rumble through the car that sounds like youíre sitting on a sleep giant. Give it more and the exhaust lets out guttural metallic yell that almost instills a sense of menace. Reminds me of a lion's roar. The first time I heard it from outside the car I got chills and an immediate fight or flight reponse, chills and cold sweet included. It hits you on a primal level.

Once you get moving at cruising speed, the exhaust is very stock like in volume and tameness. No drone, just a nice rumble to give you an excuse to leave the radio off.

At full throttle up the rpms, the car again lets out a full guttural yell that carries to redline and finally gives this 500hp beast a voice that matches its performance and prestige.

At around 3.5k rpms and half throttle, the exhaust takes on a more exotic note thatís incredible fun to play with. I noticed that the sound is completely difference than what I hear when I go up the rpms at full throttle.

For performance, the power gains are limited as I donít have a tune. However, the nature of the engine is definitely improved. With the reduction of back pressure from the high flow cats, the engine is much more eager to get through the rmps and gives a feel as if the car has shed some weight.

Thanks to Stef at Europipe, Mark at 911tuning.com, and Larry at AMS Performance.
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the review!
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ARGH how did I miss this?

No dynograph though? Europipe is very, very highly regarded in the Porsche turbo world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    See my other post, only dynoes I had of the car
    2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
    2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
    2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
    2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
    2003 and 2005 330i/ci zhp - Stock - Retired