Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

AMS Intercooler Install Pictures

Alright in the name of me not getting banned here's some quick install notes and pictures.

I've always done my own car work but in my past vehicles that has consisted of oil changes and audio upgrades (Geo Metro ftw). The point is this is my first go at real vehicle work and modification. One of the first things I tackled was upgrading my intercooler after reading how important it was. I went with AMS based on their solid design and testing.

Click here to enlarge

For my install I got my hands on a lift however it was an hour away. We ended up getting there about an hour before they closed so it was kind of a rushed operation but thanks to the perfect fit we got it done.
    We had trouble getting the stock couplers off. They have a some kind of one time use band on there and of course I didn't bring a dremel. We ended up taking off the charge pipe to get at one side easier.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Due to the time constraint we decided to go with just taking the underbody panel off and put it in from the bottom.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The IC came well packaged and had both ends capped to prevent anything getting inside and going into the turbos.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The AMS FMIC is obviously larger and substantially better built.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AMS
    The AMS BMW 135i/335i Front Mount Intercooler is the best performing direct bolt on intercooler you can buy. Simply by bolting on this intercooler on a stock car you can expect over 10 wheel horsepower gains. This intercooler has 50% more internal flow area than its stock counterpart, works with the stock piping and only requires small trimming to the plastic bumper support.

This AMS Intercooler features cast aluminum end tanks for added durability with smoother features and geometry. Designed by our engineering team using Solidworks, these A356 T6 Alloy Aluminum end tanks have improved flow over sheet metal end tanks and include gusseted brackets to prevent cracking or failure. Their end tanks don’t end there, they also incorporate an industry first 3” inlet and exit port. AMS goes beyond the competition to ensure quality. Each AMS Intercooler is hand TIG welded in a jig for a perfect fit and pressure tested to 50 psi to ensure maximum performance.

AMS tested many intercooler cores to find the best performing units available. Over the past 8 years AMS has tested just about every core available to source the best manufacturer for our kits. The BMW is no exception as this intercooler is manufactured by the same company AMS uses for their 1400hp drag cars and time attack race team.

Exclusive Features:

- 50% more internal flow area than stock
    - Smooth flowing cast end tanks allow for better airflow over the competitions sheet metal tanks
    - Best performing intercooler on the market and requires less bumper support trimming than the competition.
    - Industry first 3” inlet and outlet end tank ports
    - Custom molded silicone couplers to optimize airflow volume and velocity.
    - Will bolt up to your stock piping or most aftermarket pipe kits that are designed for the stock intercooler.
    - Bar and plate style core, the best performing on the market
    - All AMS intercoolers are pressure tested after assembly to 50 psi

Specifications:

- Intercooler core dimension: 6″ tall, 20″ wide and 6″ thick
    - Good for up to 550whp
    - Comes with the Black “AMS” Painted Logo (Optional)
    - Slight trimming of plastic bumper support required
    - Weighs 17.6 lbs.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

All of us have general mechanical knowledge but by no means are mechanics or experts on the N54 or E90 and we were still able to get the whole thing done in right about 60 min. This includes doing the slight trimming of the inside of the bumper area (approx 1.5" x 24" if I remember right) with a damn razor blade. If anyone sees a good price on a dremel please Please let me know. More install pics

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I forgot to mention this was done in the heart of a Maryland winter. Don't mind the bumper- that's what hitting a German tail light sitting randomly in the middle of the autobahn at ~120mph will do to your car. I didn't get any pictures but when we pulled the intercooler out for the first time all kinds of chunks fell out I couldn't see with it installed.

Click here to enlarge

A little more recent. Clean'ish car with the lower grill and vertical pieces removed. I honestly think I like the mesh there better so I got a new one and currently have it back on. Let me know what you guys think. I'll post a with grill pic here soon.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by SSDD; 02-18-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That looks $#@!in' great man. Good work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love mine! I did it on rhino ramps, it's a super easy install

nice writeup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great write up. Looks massive.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great work, front page material.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. AMS has the best intercooler for this car.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice pix and install! That OEM pipe you are holding in the first pic I ended up accidentally dremeling. It's duct-taped now, I checked it's price with a local Indy retailer - $438, sold with the other connections only. I'm gonna call Helix and Stett and see if they can fabricate their own piece, longshot maybe. Good job once again - I hope you're stoked!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    very nice, although i usually like to see the ic cause it kinda looks bad ass, the grill would probably protect more i presume?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys and Sticky for not banning me. The front page is great too. It's no FBIS review but I did what I could. My car is dirty currently as work has really Really been messing with my free time these last couple weeks but I'll snap a pic as soon as I can with the new lower mesh on.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    looks good!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    Nice pix and install! That OEM pipe you are holding in the first pic I ended up accidentally dremeling. It's duct-taped now, I checked it's price with a local Indy retailer - $438, sold with the other connections only. I'm gonna call Helix and Stett and see if they can fabricate their own piece, longshot maybe. Good job once again - I hope you're stoked!
    Get one custom made at an exhaust shop shouldnt be more than $75