Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown feedback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown feedback.

I know for some of us, the winter/other mods are hindering the opportunity to get your kit in and tested. I'm assuming that someone has to be close to having one of the full kits installed by now,if not already-post your feedback on the product/questions/etc here. Inquiring minds want to know....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed we do!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

@rick@defiv, i haven't had the chance to get mine installed just yet but I've looked at it and the kit looks pristine...we'll see soon if it works as great as it looks Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

The rest of my M3 suspension bits should be delivered tomorrow. I was waiting for them to arrive so I could install everything at once.

I should have them installed by next week.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Torque Junkies
    DCT 335is 121-122 mph in the 1/4 mile Stock Turbos / Full Weight

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I am waiting on my DSS axles, Quafie, and Spec 2+/SFW to come so I can do it all at once Click here to enlarge
    Although, due to the time required to install I may end up waiting until Spring Break Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

this kit works flawless on my IS
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I got mine on Christmas Eve and it is a more massive kit then I thought! Click here to enlarge I am just waiting on someone to send me a couple of twins, and then everything I am hording gets installed!!!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I'll have my car back on the road soon. My mods include HPF Stage 2 clutch, full M3 suspension bits/sway bars/subframe bushings, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Quaife LSD, stock diff cover and defiv lockdown kit. I must that plate is thick. I'm guessing the next weakness on the car after all of this plus upgraded drive shafts/half shafts (which I don't have) are the differential mounts on the subframe.

Engine: MOTIV 750 / MOTIV Port Injection Kit / Helix FMIC / ER CP + TiaL BOV
    Tuning: JB4 MAC_11 / COBB-BMS Backend / Split Second AIC1-V6H
    Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 / Full M3 Suspension / Quaife LSD / Defiv Lockdown / Megan Toe Arms
    Wheels/Tires: Forgestar F14 19x8.5F +34 / 19x10R +38 / Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)

From the photos it looks solid. When I get bored I'll have to put one on our drag 135. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the photos it looks solid. When I get bored I'll have to put one on our drag 135. Click here to enlarge
    Now were talking...partials are available if you already have delrin/solids in there, although I would probably suggest the whole enchilada if it's going to see full on strip duty...that environment is why the large rear bushing was made in a two-piece interlocking design...positive, unwavering locating of the differential under the worst conditions. PM me for further discussion whenever you see fit...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Does this work with an xi ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My lock down kit is going in today Click here to enlarge

Hope to pick up the car this afternoon. Just received this picture from my mechanic. Old bushing were completely shot....

Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I've got the Turner Motorsport m3 aluminium diff bushes on my car and from that picture I can say Rick's bushes look more substantial and stronger. The TMS ones don't have flanges on both sides of the bush and the rear mount has to be threadlocked into place which I'm not too keen on. The interlocking design is excellent Rick, just a shame I needed to get my subframe back on the car as I would've loved to have waited for you to finish the m3 set.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Got my kit yesterday, I was VERY impressed to say the least....the quality of this kit is far beyond my expectations. Also I must state how great Rick is to deal with, he answers all questions instantly. I just got my M3 Front control arms, Meyle HD tierod s on the way....coilovers coming tommorw. Will be also using Powerflex subframe bushings (Full) and the wavetrac.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Motiv 750 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    Does this work with an xi ?
    yes if you have a 6MT "large" diff...havent confirmed on an N54 auto diff yet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    yes if you have a 6MT "large" diff...havent confirmed on an N54 auto diff yet
    Has anyone volunteered a 6AT yet? I might be able to help out
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone volunteered a 6AT yet? I might be able to help out
    That would be great...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Rick, I finally get my car back from the body shop on Thursday and I am scheduled for an install by FFTEC This Friday. I should have updates for you shortly Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well, mine was installed yesterday. It's cold and wet here, so I'm not really able to test it as I would like to. Sadly I have to say that my wheel hop is not gone. It's a little better, but still very much present in 1st and 2nd gear (6 MT). However, I do have the original suspension (coils/dampers), and 131k km on the car, so it could very well be a coil/damper issue. My mechanic is suspecting maybe the Quaife diff has some internal damage as well. I will change the coils/dampers as soon as I can put the money aside for it.

However, as dissappointed as I am about the still prevalent wheel hop, I can feel a huge difference in how the car behaves on the road. I have been going sideways most af the time whenever I spun the wheels (which is almost all the time with the current weather), now the car goes in a straight line when I spin the wheels and try to go straight. Also I didn't feel any "torque shifting" from the rear end of the carat all yesterday after the install, so the diff lock down kit is definetely working well.

I am confident I have another (or more) additional problems I have to address, so even if my wheel hop hasn't been eliminated, I am still happy I got the kit, and I would recommend it to anyone with a powerful 335i.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 01-09-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling...
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Does the tie-rod need to be adjusted to a specified preload? Or does Rick pre-set that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    Well, mine was installed yesterday. It's cold and wet here, so I'm not really able to test it as I would like to. Sadly I have to say that my wheel hop is not gone. It's a little better, but still very much present in 1st and 2nd gear (6 MT). However, I do have the original suspension (coils/dampers), and 131k km on the car, so it could very well be a coil/damper issue. My mechanic is suspecting maybe the Quaife diff has some internal damage as well. I will change the coils/dampers as soon as I can put the money aside for it.

However, as dissappointed as I am about the still prevalent wheel hop, I can feel a huge difference in how the car behaves on the road. I have been going sideways most af the time whenever I spun the wheels (which is almost all the time with the current weather), now the car goes in a straight line when I spin the wheels and try to go straight. Also I didn't feel any "torque shifting" from the rear end of the carat all yesterday after the install, so the diff lock down kit is definetely working well.

I am confident I have another (or more) additional problems I have to address, so even if my wheel hop hasn't been eliminated, I am still happy I got the kit, and I would recommend it to anyone with a powerful 335i.
    did they adjust the tie rod end properly? Something is certainly not right,the jam nuts are sent loose,the tie rods need to be adjusted then they need to be tightened(explained in install guide)....I doubt it's suspension related, I've had 335i testers here with suspension that was beat, hop was fixed. Something is either loose or messed up...I'll try to help you through finding solution as best I can...What is the diagnosis on a damaged Quaife stem from? This is the first install that I've heard of that still exhibits hop/chatter and I've tested on just about every variable possible as far as diff internals and suspensions go...so i'm very interested in solving the issue...
    Last edited by rick@defiv; 01-09-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    did they adjust the tie rod end properly? Something is certainly not right,the jam nuts are sent loose,the tie rods need to be adjusted then they need to be tightened(explained in install guide)....I doubt it's suspension related, I've had 335i testers here with suspension that was beat, hop was fixed. Something is either loose or messed up...I'll try to help you through finding solution as best I can...What is the diagnosis on a damaged Quaife stem from? This is the first install that I've heard of that still exhibits hop/chatter and I've tested on just about every variable possible as far as diff internals and suspensions go...so i'm very interested in solving the issue...
    Thanks Rick. I'll get a hold of the mechanic and maybe he should contact you? I gave him the install guide before the install and went through it with him, so I'm thinking he should have known what he was doing. He did mention something about one of the parts needing modification (due to the original bolt being too short), so maybe he actually did mess something up. He's usually pretty smart though and did everything else on the car for me so far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Rick. I'll get a hold of the mechanic and maybe he should contact you? I gave him the install guide before the install and went through it with him, so I'm thinking he should have known what he was doing. He did mention something about one of the parts needing modification (due to the original bolt being too short), so maybe he actually did mess something up. He's usually pretty smart though and did everything else on the car for me so far.
    ugh-oh....there's no short bolts that I know of, nor have ever seen, painstaking attention to detail has been taken to ensure that hardware fits exactly,so if something was modded, that's an issue...and modify what exactly? Pics? That's of concern...like I said in PM, if you need me to speak with tech, anytime works.
    Last edited by rick@defiv; 01-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

^^^^^ Great customer service... T and now Rick do it right
    2009 FBO RB'd mtech e92 6AT - 11.3@126
    2008 FBO CR e82 6M - 12.0@120 - Sold

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast