Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    limited slip isn't included in performance package for C63????

    Just trying to get my facts straight here, before SERIOUSLY looking for a nice used C63. First of all it amazes me that a limited slip rear isn't standard on such a powerful, rwd, EXPENSIVE car to begin with, and if I'm understanding correctly, it still must be optionally added if you so happen to find a C63 with the "performance package" option. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the old saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't really apply to Mercedes? I love them, but c'mon, 450+hp doesn't give you "two wheel peel" for upwards of 70K from the factory. I have a SVT lightning truck that came with a limited slip, with a lot less than 450 factory hp, wich costed less than 32K when new, and I also have an 04 SVT Cobra that also had a limited slip rear from the factory, that costed 31500, new. and both were standard equipment? Crazy to me!!! I don't care how much power you have, if you show up at a drag-strip with 1 wheel drive, you're going to get your ass handed to you in short order by pretty much everyone! I will add the limited slip carrier to my up-coming C63, but it seems a bit ridiculous on such a powerful, higher end car. Maybe no drag strips in Germany due to the Autobahn? hahaha but I'm seriously asking if the performance package also includes "limited slip" like it should, but I think it does not?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Agree 100% with this post. Car makers are getting pretty cheap nowadays. At least they give you the option of getting one. On a BMW non-M, they don't even give you an option, which is complete horse $#@!. A car with as much torque as the 35i series and no LSD makes no sense. Ultimate driving machine my ass.....
    John 3:16


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    314
    Rep Points
    112.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Agree 100% with this post. Car makers are getting pretty cheap nowadays. At least they give you the option of getting one. On a BMW non-M, they don't even give you an option, which is complete horse $#@!. A car with as much torque as the 35i series and no LSD makes no sense. Ultimate driving machine my ass.....
    As is, current stability control/ABS systems provide all of the same features for a daily commuter as a limited slip diff at a fraction of the cost. I think with time these systems will get to the point they please the performance and motorsports minded people. Some of the more tech oriented cars these days already managed this, and think of the possibilities; instead of putting equal torque to each side of the drive wheels, putting more torque to the outside wheels, and instead of having a set locking ramp profile under acceleration and deceleration, being able to modify both independently with just loading a new program. Cheaper, lighter, more functionality, and mechanically more simple.

    I don't think the fixation on having a limited slip diff is as big of a deal as it used to be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Good point, I'm not too familiar with the electronics involved in "stability control" or even "traction control". But I'd be pretty disappointed if I spun the $#@! out of only 1 tire from a dig race either at a track or on the street regardless. Detroit tru-trac that I put in my Cobra costed less than 500.00, and the clutch style stockers can be had for about 250 for a Mustang with an 8.8 rear.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Moved to M156.

    Look, you are completely correct it should come with an LSD but I understand why it doesn't. They want to protect other cars in the lineup and it's not like you can't get it.

    Expense is releative and Mercedes gives you the option unlike BMW on the 335.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jeffs Click here to enlarge
    I have a SVT lightning truck that came with a limited slip, with a lot less than 450 factory hp, wich costed less than 32K when new
    True, but it's a truck, and there is poor weight distribution over the rear wheels. It needs that LSD, badly.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mkodama Click here to enlarge
    As is, current stability control/ABS systems provide all of the same features for a daily commuter as a limited slip diff at a fraction of the cost. I think with time these systems will get to the point they please the performance and motorsports minded people. Some of the more tech oriented cars these days already managed this, and think of the possibilities; instead of putting equal torque to each side of the drive wheels, putting more torque to the outside wheels, and instead of having a set locking ramp profile under acceleration and deceleration, being able to modify both independently with just loading a new program. Cheaper, lighter, more functionality, and mechanically more simple.

    I don't think the fixation on having a limited slip diff is as big of a deal as it used to be.
    Good post.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    So, should I be less specific or less adamant on hunting for a c63 with limited slip? I do plan on at least headers, tune, and of coarse some sticky drag radials, and it will see straight-line 1/4 and 1/8 mile track use!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    631.3
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    For what its worth some of the fastest E55's, aka in the 10's, do not have a LSD either. One driver in particular, put one in his E55 and ran the exact same time of mid 10's. By the way, you will spin both tires in ANY AMG .

    However, I do feel that they should have included one from the facotry, NOT just an option.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    574.1
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Jeffs you raise some good points on this, but I would not waste time looking for a C63 with the LSD option for a few reasons. First, the limited slip option from Mercedes uses a clutch style system. It is very similar to one out of an 8.8 rear end. Second the option if I'm not mistaken was about $3,000-4,000 and this is honestly not cheap. Third, you can purchase a torsion locker for just about $1,600 (that includes bearings, fluids, seals, sealants, and the diff itself) and you are getting much more than a factory unit for a fraction of the cost. We can easily help you on this when the time comes.

    Our experience with an LSD is that the traction control system doesn't have to work as hard to distribute power to the ground. Typically, even without the LSD the car wil spin both tires pretty easily but it is actively applying brakes and limiting engine torque to do so. When getting 100% traction (or close enough to 100%) the car will not limit engine torque or apply breaks which as one of the members send, will not yield huge differences in track times. Hope this helps. Thanks.

    Weistec Engineering
    Click here to enlarge
    Home of the World's Fastest Mercedes

    CONNECT WITH US
    www.Weistec.com
    Sales@Weistec.com

    Instagram
    Facebook

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    For what its worth some of the fastest E55's, aka in the 10's, do not have a LSD either. One driver in particular, put one in his E55 and ran the exact same time of mid 10's. By the way, you will spin both tires in ANY AMG .

    However, I do feel that they should have included one from the facotry, NOT just an option.
    With traction an open diff really isn't at a disadvantage versus a limited slip in the straightline. The difference is really in corners when the inside and outside wheel are moving at different speeds.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    while we're on the subject of traction, is there a 17" rim that'll fit the irs rear of these cars, Hoosier now makes an actual drag slick for a 17" rim? I know on irs equipped Cobras, that you'd have to grind calipers, bla, bla bla to get 15's to fit for a decent tire selection for slicks. This "of coarse" is after I built a solid 8.8 for the car, but I also did it for reliability and weight issues, as well as being able to get a 15" slick under the rear of the car. My Lord 1600 for a locker carrier is insane! I guess the words "cheap" and "Mercedes" is seldomly used in the same sentence, hahahahaha. But strong achievable naturally aspirated power, and a 7sp auto under a very nice car is a cool and unique thing as well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jeffs Click here to enlarge
    is there a 17" rim that'll fit the irs rear of these cars
    People have run 17 inch rims on the C63 I believe.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jeffs Click here to enlarge
    Hoosier now makes an actual drag slick for a 17" rim? I know on irs equipped Cobras
    Hoosier and Mickey Thompson both have a 17 inch bias-ply.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    139
    Rep Points
    288.2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I ran a forgeline/hoosier 17" on my '09 C63..worked great.
    Click here to enlarge
    C63 Black Series

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Even Money Click here to enlarge
    I ran a forgeline/hoosier 17" on my '09 C63..worked great.
    There you go, 17 clears.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    631.3
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    With traction an open diff really isn't at a disadvantage versus a limited slip in the straightline. The difference is really in corners when the inside and outside wheel are moving at different speeds.
    I guess you forgot that I was a road race for over 2 decades my friend.

    Auborn used to make me one off diffs for my SCCA stang.

    Nevertheless, I agree with you Joesph.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    I guess you forgot that I was a road race for over 2 decades my friend.

    Auborn used to make me one off diffs for my SCCA stang.

    Nevertheless, I agree with you Joesph.
    Didn't mean anything by my comment was simply expanding on the topic.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    631.3
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Didn't mean anything by my comment was simply expanding on the topic.
    Non takin my friend, it just made me smileClick here to enlarge

    Carry on

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Why I have you hear. I'm going to be in the market for a used C63, so I can afford a few mods being headers, tune, and sticky tires of some sort, probably drag radials. I have been narrowing my search to any C63, sedan or coupe. Any color aside from black, but I have pretty adamant about" limited slip" and "performance package", and really when sorting through cars back to 09, the price doesn't reflect too much regardless of the cost of the options from the factory. Am I being stupid here? I do want to drag race the car and drive it to and from the track, along with retaining a good usable car. I just recall a buddy of mine who ran the 1/8th mile a lot with his nitrous assisted 99 GT Mustang, and was always running 8.0 range and one time during the burnout, only one tire lit up along with the clutches in his traction lock diff. and from then on he could barely run an 8.3, until he repaired the rear and upgraded to a Detroit true track and went right back to 8.0's. That's why I'm wanting the limited slip, I've seen how badly his car was affected without the aid of it. Again on a few year old C63s I've seen for sale on-line, I haven't seen a price hike for either option?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,877.5
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    If you are even thinking about it then just get the Performance Package and LSD (not 100% but not sure if LSD is included in P31 don't think it is) and have no regrets.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jeffs Click here to enlarge
    Why I have you hear. I'm going to be in the market for a used C63, so I can afford a few mods being headers, tune, and sticky tires of some sort, probably drag radials. I have been narrowing my search to any C63, sedan or coupe. Any color aside from black, but I have pretty adamant about" limited slip" and "performance package", and really when sorting through cars back to 09, the price doesn't reflect too much regardless of the cost of the options from the factory. Am I being stupid here? I do want to drag race the car and drive it to and from the track, along with retaining a good usable car. I just recall a buddy of mine who ran the 1/8th mile a lot with his nitrous assisted 99 GT Mustang, and was always running 8.0 range and one time during the burnout, only one tire lit up along with the clutches in his traction lock diff. and from then on he could barely run an 8.3, until he repaired the rear and upgraded to a Detroit true track and went right back to 8.0's. That's why I'm wanting the limited slip, I've seen how badly his car was affected without the aid of it. Again on a few year old C63s I've seen for sale on-line, I haven't seen a price hike for either option?
    have you ever tried to turn a car with a 100% locking dif ? Ever tried to parallel park it ? Ever taken it through a high speed 150mph sweeper ? My guess would be NO because if you had, you would realize that Mustang built for the strip with a locker is worlds apart from a C63 and putting it on a C63 would kill its daily drive-ability.
    You are much better off finding a clean un modified non PP C63 and putting headers and tune on it. If you want to go road racing, then get a Quaife LSD.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    I'm not wanting a "locker" of any sort, either a Limited slip with clutches or a helical geared unit like a Detroit tru-trac like I put in my Cobra wich worked great with good street manners. I wouldn't even consider putting a locker, or spool, in anything but a gutted POS track-only car. I understand what you are saying, and if that was the case, I'd look for something a little lighter, and cheaper than e Mercedes.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    A Detroit true trac will actually act like an open rear end while lifted off the ground, you spin left rear tire forward the other side goes backwards, "very mild" but I've never fried only one tire with it. I wish they made a true-trac for a c63's rear, cause I'd do that in a new York second, instead of hunting for a factory limited slip, that has clutches that wear out.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    then just get yourself a Quaife LSD and be done with it - or the OS Giken.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Rep Points
    163.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Sounds good, but first I need a C63 to put it in! hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •