Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Drive Shaft Busted!

I was driving home and I heard this loud thump once I shifted from 3rd to 2nd on a roll waiting for a red light to turn green. I immediately pulled over and noticed that the diff was hanging low and the aluminum cover had been scrapped.

I got it towed to a nearby BMW shop and the drive shaft snapped. So to get this fixed, they told me:

1. I need a new drive shaft (obviously) and...
    2. The pumpkin with Quaife differential needs to be rebuilt

Is rebuilding the diff absolutely necessary? They were saying that the input drive shaft snapped on the inside and will need a new one. Any suggestions?

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Engine: MOTIV 750 / MOTIV Port Injection / Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP / Helix FMIC / ER CP + TiaL BOV
    Tuning: JB4 MAC_11 / MHD BMS Backend / Split Second AIC1-V6H
    Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 / Full M3 Suspension / Quaife LSD / Defiv Lockdown / Megan Toe Arms
    Wheels/Tires: Forgestar F14 19x8.5F +34 / 19x10R +38 / Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is rebuilding the diff absolutely necessary? They were saying that the input drive shaft snapped on the inside and will need a new one. Any suggestions?
    not sure. drivetrain is not my area of expertise @rick@defiv might be able to comment

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Samething happened on mine, they had to replace both the driveshaft and the diff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Did you have an OEM diff? And by replace, brand new and not rebuilt?
    Click here to enlarge
    Engine: MOTIV 750 / MOTIV Port Injection / Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP / Helix FMIC / ER CP + TiaL BOV
    Suspension: Bilstein PSS9 / Full M3 Suspension / Quaife LSD / Defiv Lockdown / Megan Toe Arms

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Sorry to hear that. When mine broke, I didn't need to do any repairs to the diff. But it really depends on where the breakage occurs.

Maybe this is a good time to call DSS or AR and get a built DS?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

If the diff input flange is snapping, what's the fix? Is it the driveshaft or the input flange that breaks. If its the input flange, that's a really hard upgrade....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Did you rev match? That's scary if you did because I always rev match / engine brake. That would suck if that's all it took to break a shaft.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I don't know but here's a good photo of the input shaft.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

That input shaft is the pinion to the diff...thats what snapped for me with wheel hop and the only way to fix it is to get another 3.08 unit as a donor..you'll need to find a bolted one otherwise you won't be able to swap your LSD in wothout machining the ring gear off

Keep in mind, pinion is always matched with a ring gear and its always recommended to change them together and never mix

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    That input shaft is the pinion to the diff...thats what snapped for me with wheel hop and the only way to fix it is to get another 3.08 unit as a donor..you'll need to find a bolted one otherwise you won't be able to swap your LSD in wothout machining the ring gear off

Keep in mind, pinion is always matched with a ring gear and its always recommended to change them together and never mix
    That blows. Thats a pretty big design flaw to be failing there at only 600wtq, even with the shock loading.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Wheel hop is the enemy not torque

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

So that part is not available separately?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    So that part is not available separately?
    Unfortunately not..however, you can dig up a used 3.08 for about 250-350 from wreck yards..check on car-part.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I rev match occasionally but not that time, I just shifted.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Did you rev match? That's scary if you did because I always rev match / engine brake. That would suck if that's all it took to break a shaft.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

So how would I know the diff is bolted? This pumpkin has a Quaife built by VAC by the way.

Unfortunately not..however, you can dig up a used 3.08 for about 250-350 from wreck yards..check on car-part.com
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Wheel hop is the enemy not torque
    I guess my point was that it is a design flaw since the drive-shaft doesn't fail before the pinion. I wonder if we can source some weaker u-joints/CVs/whatevers for the driveshaft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

All thats needed is a solution to the cause behind this and that's wheel hop..eliminate wheel hop/ diff movement and this issue goes away

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

All thats needed is a solution to the cause behind this and that's wheel hop..eliminate wheel hop/ diff movement and this issue goes away
    Only if someone would make something to eliminate wheel hop / diff movement....oh wait:

http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...until-12-31-12
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It doesn't really fix the true problem which is the input pinion being weaker than the driveshaft u-joint. At a certain point wheel hop will be fixed and the input shaft will be breaking again before the u-joint. Its just not good to have the failure mode cost $2500 versus $30.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

For sure...rick's kit looks solid..haven't had a chance to test it yet but it sure looks great/promising

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    It doesn't really fix the true problem which is the input pinion being weaker than the driveshaft u-joint. At a certain point wheel hop will be fixed and the input shaft will be breaking again before the u-joint. Its just not good to have the failure mode cost $2500 versus $30.
    Agree to disagree Click here to enlarge i rather fix the issue at hand and if we still see issues then we'd need a solution in a stronger pinion and so on...not a weaker driveshaft, that doesn't help you go faster, it'd just help to break cheaper parts more often Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Agree to disagree Click here to enlarge i rather fix the issue at hand and if we still see issues then we'd need a solution in a stronger pinion and so on...not a weaker driveshaft, that doesn't help you go faster, it'd just help to break cheaper parts more often Click here to enlarge
    Sure. I see what you're saying. Reality is you don't fix it right the first time every time. I am sure you can appreciate that. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Definitely. I got really high hopes in Rick's kit tbh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Did you order the kit? Mines sitting in my garage waiting for some funds to free up to purchase the rest of my M3 suspension =(

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Ya. Looks interesting. I wonder if there is a less costly solution though. Not that the kit isn't worth what it is worth - for all that machining it is - I just can't afford it. Maybe in the future a well designed urethane upgrade will be good enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast