Close

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 03 EVO 8 Build

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Not completely flex fuel because it won't have a flex fuel sensor and won't auto tune for ethanol content. I looked into that but the only way on this car was pro-efi and I didn't have $3k for an ems. It's all flex fuel hardware but flash tuned to e85. (E70 right now prob). My e85 tester should show up in the mail today so I'm going to test the ethanol content we tuned it to so this summer when the ethanol content increases at the pump I can raise boost and timing on the tune myself.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Sick man, shaping up nicely Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Why not just run a mixed tune. half e85 half 93. It will be e47 and its 100 octane instead of e85's 105 octane rate.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Why not just run a mixed tune. half e85 half 93. It will be e47 and its 100 octane instead of e85's 105 octane rate.
    That was such a PITA in the 335i. I'm going to love fueling up on one pump now. The car will be tuned at e70ish right now. whatever is in the pumps. This will give me a nice safe baseline since this is the worst the e85 will be all year. My tester just got delivered so I'm going to try to test some tomorrow. Then when summer rolls around I'll test again to see what % ethanol it's at and adjust timing/boost accordingly for the summer. Still easier than going to 2 different gas stations everytime i need fuel.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Just got a call from the shop, all parts went on and the car is back together with no issues. Awesome! They'll be tuning it tomorrow and Monday and I'll be picking it up Monday afternoon. I can't wait!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    That was such a PITA in the 335i. I'm going to love fueling up on one pump now. The car will be tuned at e70ish right now. whatever is in the pumps. This will give me a nice safe baseline since this is the worst the e85 will be all year. My tester just got delivered so I'm going to try to test some tomorrow. Then when summer rolls around I'll test again to see what % ethanol it's at and adjust timing/boost accordingly for the summer. Still easier than going to 2 different gas stations everytime i need fuel.
    Just got a call from the shop, all parts went on and the car is back together with no issues. Awesome! They'll be tuning it tomorrow and Monday and I'll be picking it up Monday afternoon. I can't wait!
    Ahh, gotcha. I mean i thought you were having issues with the tuning for the e85 cause of the sensor. If not then I would rather just fill up with on pump too Click here to enlarge. Keep us posted on the new tune etc.

BTW, Sometime in March I will be going on a road trip down to KY to build my motor. I will stop by you and we will have a go!
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Def let me know when you're heading this way. Our closest 1/4mi is in Bowling Green, KY. Plus there are plenty of roads here for some nice cruising Click here to enlarge

Ahh, gotcha. I mean i thought you were having issues with the tuning for the e85 cause of the sensor. If not then I would rather just fill up with on pump too Click here to enlarge. Keep us posted on the new tune etc.

BTW, Sometime in March I will be going on a road trip down to KY to build my motor. I will stop by you and we will have a go!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Def let me know when you're heading this way. Our closest 1/4mi is in Bowling Green, KY. Plus there are plenty of roads here for some nice cruising Click here to enlarge
    I'm not talking about 1/4 mile Click here to enlarge. The roads look nice over there.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Oh they are, VERY NICE. VERY empty and WIDE OPEN LOL! Many people have found out if they have a rev limiter or not around here LOL

I'm not talking about 1/4 mile Click here to enlarge. The roads look nice over there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Oh they are, VERY NICE. VERY empty and WIDE OPEN LOL! Many people have found out if they have a rev limiter or not around here LOL
    Sounds like a good place to break in a newly built motor Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I think I forgot to include Baschur ported intake mani and throttle body to the list of parts put on this week too Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Got a call from the shop today. Car put down 480hp/400tq at 28psi yesterday (MD). They have some more work to do though so I won't be picking it up tomorrow. They need to rewire my fuel pump to increase volts to increase pump output. Also having hot start issues so we're just going to convert it from MAF to speed density. My tranny will ship wed so I may just leave the car there until its complete. I just so happen to have a car to drive for the next 5 weeks so I don't need the EVO till the end of next month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Got a call from the shop today. Car put down 480hp/400tq at 28psi yesterday (MD). They have some more work to do though so I won't be picking it up tomorrow. They need to rewire my fuel pump to increase volts to increase pump output. Also having hot start issues so we're just going to convert it from MAF to speed density. My tranny will ship wed so I may just leave the car there until its complete. I just so happen to have a car to drive for the next 5 weeks so I don't need the EVO till the end of next month.
    How much more is this than you were making?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I gained around 60hp at 28psi over the 21psi I was running. 31psi is our target. Advance is really low right now due to the fueling issue so my 550hp goal is still attainable as long as we can keep the tq down to around 415ft lb.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Correction, I gained 100hp over the 21psi I was running. I gained 60hp over the last dyno the car did on 24psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

We've had lots of EVOs on our MD AWD-500 and that is some very good power for 28 psi! Rev limit probably around 7500RPM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Rev limit is 8200 right now. Head is built. Engine internals are the rev limiting factor right now. When I upgrade internals it will def be a long rod setup so I can safely rev over 9k rpms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I gained around 60hp at 28psi over the 21psi I was running. 31psi is our target. Advance is really low right now due to the fueling issue so my 550hp goal is still attainable as long as we can keep the tq down to around 415ft lb.
    Does 60 more horsepower for 7 more psi seem kind of small for the amount of increased pressure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Rev limit is 8200 right now. Head is built. Engine internals are the rev limiting factor right now. When I upgrade internals it will def be a long rod setup so I can safely rev over 9k rpms.
    Why does long rod help you rev higher?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Correction, I gained 100hp over the 21psi I was running. I gained 60hp over the last dyno the car did on 24psi.
    Here's my answer, I reply too fast sometimes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why does long rod help you rev higher?
    A quote from the Evo forum

Originally Posted by getsideways:
    How many engine failures have you seen in the 2.4 due to sideload?

Also how does a longrod rev higher, how is this different then a long stroke motor, i was under the impression a shorter stroke engine allows for higher RPM operation?

Or am i confused and does the shorter stroke involve a smaller crank and longer rods?
    They can rev the same. The answer to your question lies in rod angularity. A long rod pushes less as the crank is at 90* and 270* rotation because its less angle at half stroke. The total angularity change is also less. Basically an engine with a smaller rod stroke ratio isnt going to last as long at a given RPM as something with a larger rod stroke ratio. Its related having a short stroke since the deck height only will allow some much. If you build a custom block with a deck height as high as it needs to be you could shove a HUGE connecting rod into a long stroke motor and get the best of both worlds.

Look at IHRA mountain motors for more direct application. They have added INCHES to the deck height of a big block Chevy, Ford, or Mopar in order to make their 815cid motors last as long as possible.

That I can think of, I have seen 4 SR2.4s fail after extended (and I mean LONG) time at high rpm. There are other factors that can cause the failure and when its catastrophic its not possible to point to one exact reason. However I look at F1 cars with a R/s of 4:1 running 18,000 for 2 hours at a time. Or even crazier, Volvo motors running almost a 2:1 ratio and running for 350k miles. They both do it for difference reasons but longevity is a key one.

2.3 or 2.4 with a R/s of 1.5:1 ratio- max angularity of 19.47*
    2.4 with a R/s of 1.56:1 - max angularity of 18.75*
    2.2 with a R/s of 1.659:1- max angularity of 17.58*
    2.0 with a R/s of 1.7:1- max angularity of 17.06*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

sub'd I love evo's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Like I said, you won't miss the 335i once you get her up and running properly. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

So this week, the shop is rewiring the 400lph wally e85 pump, getting it up to 14v I think and also installing SS braided fuel lines from the tank to the engine compartment. I also ordered a new MAFless intake so we can convert from MAF to speed density. Hoping my tranny ships today and still waiting on word from Sheppard to see how much my transfer case rebuild will cost and an ETA. Looking like I won't have the car back for another couple of weeks. It's snowing here today, AWD donuts would have been so much fun Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I almost went the same route, had my heart set on an 03 Evo 8 with 620whp using an FP Red and a built 2.4L but none of the drivetrain was built and the price was too high. Kind of a shame really, with a built trans and TC a near identical car was running mid 9s @ 142mph.

I'm excited to see what your car turns out like, for now I'm shopping for an LS3 'vette after my E39 M5 experience soured, but I would love to have an AWD car that could run 10s and still be a DD (I love my 335xi, but at mid 11s she was more than tapped out).

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast