Close

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 03 EVO 8 Build

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So why not name the shop and post your entire experience with them so other people don't go through this?
    I'll have to get the name of the machine shop from the engine builder.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If you're looking to get a motor built/machine work in the Nashville/Clarksville TN area ONLY use SHACKLETT'S MACHINE SHOP, NASHVILLE TN
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate to see this, its like deja-vu. Its actually kinda hard to mess up a 4g63. many shops can piss on them and make big power. Then there are morons that think they know what they are doing and in reality don't.

I went through a lot like this. The first motor, the shop that assembled the bottom end forgot... repeat, FORGOT the oil squirters! They tried to blame the machine shop saying, "what machine shop removes oil squirters to bore/hone/deck hottank a block?" I told him I was about to slap him, but maybe I should slap myself for trusting a shop that thinks oil squirters should be left in when heavily machining a block. On top of that, they completely disregarded my piston's instructions for ring gap, and gapped the rings ON THE TIGHT END of the stock recommendations!

There are some really bad shops out there for sure. Id say unless you plan on final assembly yourself, and checking each clearance for yourself, you are going to have to pay to get it done right.

BTW, the shop that $#@!ed my 1st motor is: Touring Car in South Charlotte. They are terrible, they $#@!ed me over bad and are the sole reason my car is still down.
    Last edited by rt turbo; 07-31-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |
    | Nick G custom tune | 46mm Precision gate | 62# injectors | Dual 255's |

Goal to be the first GT35r E36 to: 30 psi, 140+ mph, < 6 second 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wife and I talked. I bought a beater that she actually took from me and gave me her new Frontier. We decided to keep the EVO. I'm in no rush to get it fixed right away. I contacted David Buscher to fix it and he actually turned the work down. I was pretty disappointed. At this point I'm waiting for an estimate from English Racing. More than likely I'll ship the car to ER in WA this winter and pick it up when I get my tax returns in Feb. There are only a hand full of shops I trust anymore to work on an EVO and ER is right up there with BR and AMS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome, so does that mean it will be strictly e85 and will be a monster? You cant let Das Ei beat up on you, ya know. . . if it ever gets fixed right!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    wife and I talked. I bought a beater that she actually took from me and gave me her new Frontier. We decided to keep the EVO. I'm in no rush to get it fixed right away. I contacted David Buscher to fix it and he actually turned the work down. I was pretty disappointed. At this point I'm waiting for an estimate from English Racing. More than likely I'll ship the car to ER in WA this winter and pick it up when I get my tax returns in Feb. There are only a hand full of shops I trust anymore to work on an EVO and ER is right up there with BR and AMS.
    Glad to hear it man! This is kinda inspiring me to keep my M3. I've really pondered selling and getting a modded 135.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |
    | Nick G custom tune | 46mm Precision gate | 62# injectors | Dual 255's |

Goal to be the first GT35r E36 to: 30 psi, 140+ mph, < 6 second 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why did he turn down the work? Are you re using the current block?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Why did he turn down the work? Are you re using the current block?
    In his current state, DB has the pleasure of being one of the top EVO shops in the world. He can now chose what work he wants and doesn't. I'm reusing the motor I have and he didn't want any part of that. English is going to disassemble the motor and reassemble it just to make sure everything is good. I'm just waiting to see what they quote me for a price. Top Speed Motorsports in ATL wanted $7,500 for just labor and tuning. I find that to be a bit excessive and def can't affor to drop another $10k in this motor. I'm hoping ER is a bit more reasonable than that. After that my next choices is AMS. I'm not sure who to ask after that if AMS and ER are too expensive for my current budget.

Buscher Racing: Didn't want the job
    English Racing: Waiting on Estimate
    Top Speed Motorsports: $7,500 labor + parts
    Track One: Waiting for a response
    AMS: Don't know yet
    ??????

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1Zed4 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome, so does that mean it will be strictly e85 and will be a monster? You cant let Das Ei beat up on you, ya know. . . if it ever gets fixed right!
    It'll have a pump map, e85 map and e112 map. My main goal is to get it running. With the current mods/work it'll do around 650HP before it gets limited by the single 416LHP e85 walboro. I'd need to upgrade to a double pumper to max out the turbo around 700-750. I'm going to be satisfied with 600HP as long as its running and reliable at first until I recover financially. Then next year it's game on. I'll upgrade to the double pumper, upgrade my Exedy twin disk to a triple and upgrade the HTA3582r to a HTA3586r and shoot for 800-850HP.

That is if I can get it running in the first place LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok , i figured with the current block he wouldnt want to touch it, thats why i asked...

bc everything else you have is top notch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In his current state, DB has the pleasure of being one of the top EVO shops in the world. He can now chose what work he wants and doesn't. I'm reusing the motor I have and he didn't want any part of that. English is going to disassemble the motor and reassemble it just to make sure everything is good. I'm just waiting to see what they quote me for a price. Top Speed Motorsports in ATL wanted $7,500 for just labor and tuning. I find that to be a bit excessive and def can't affor to drop another $10k in this motor. I'm hoping ER is a bit more reasonable than that. After that my next choices is AMS. I'm not sure who to ask after that if AMS and ER are too expensive for my current budget.

Buscher Racing: Didn't want the job
    English Racing: Waiting on Estimate
    Top Speed Motorsports: $7,500 labor + parts
    Track One: Waiting for a response
    AMS: Don't know yet
    ??????
    Well, scratch Track One off of the list. They just told me they're closing their doors. Only selling parts now. WTF? Doesn't leave many options for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, scratch Track One off of the list. They just told me they're closing their doors. Only selling parts now. WTF? Doesn't leave many options for sure.
    You have the worst luck I think I've ever seen...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha for some things definately. I've lived through 7 combat deployments so I figure I'm at least lucky for somethings haha.

Car wise, i have the worst luck ever. I'm thinking about taking up knitting or something instead of cars LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha for some things definately. I've lived through 7 combat deployments so I figure I'm at least lucky for somethings haha.

Car wise, i have the worst luck ever. I'm thinking about taking up knitting or something instead of cars LOL
    If you do make me these:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you got it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It'll have a pump map, e85 map and e112 map. My main goal is to get it running. With the current mods/work it'll do around 650HP before it gets limited by the single 416LHP e85 walboro. I'd need to upgrade to a double pumper to max out the turbo around 700-750. I'm going to be satisfied with 600HP as long as its running and reliable at first until I recover financially. Then next year it's game on. I'll upgrade to the double pumper, upgrade my Exedy twin disk to a triple and upgrade the HTA3582r to a HTA3586r and shoot for 800-850HP.

That is if I can get it running in the first place LOL
    E112 map?! Please enlighten me wth is E112 i thought the highest is E98 and anything higher would be no longer a liquid and just alcohol vapor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    E112 map?! Please enlighten me wth is E112 i thought the highest is E98 and anything higher would be no longer a liquid and just alcohol vapor
    haha, the local race shop calls it e112. not sure if that's the actual name or not. it's 85% ethanol just like e85 but the other 15% is 112 oct race gas. so none of that 15% crappiest gas you can find stuff in e85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am def a close second to bigdnno in this regard... I have certainly had way more than my share and a few others shares of bad luck in the last 6 months with this car lol ..

BMW blew my engine yet charged me to install the turbos and denied warranty bc it was modified. Took pictures etc.... A "friend" worked there said well install them and look the other way for sure... LOL, oops forgot to put oil in the car when turbos were finished , warmed car up for X minutes with zero oil, cover it up, lie, play dumn, give back and I complain they say im crazy, 40 miles later BooM... B

uy replacement motor takes a while to install waiting on turbos and we get it in and the crankshaft is damaged causing wobbling dampener... place denies warranty bc its over 30 days (OEMPARTSNOW) on ebay. good bye 7ks but some how motor is lasting and taking a thrashing ? But im sure ill need another one before long... LOL

But this poor evo has had nothing but the best parts thrown at it and user error , just like in my case, causes catastrophe... youre not alone @bigdnno98

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    I am def a close second to bigdnno in this regard... I have certainly had way more than my share and a few others shares of bad luck in the last 6 months with this car lol ..

BMW blew my engine yet charged me to install the turbos and denied warranty bc it was modified. Took pictures etc.... A "friend" worked there said well install them and look the other way for sure... LOL, oops forgot to put oil in the car when turbos were finished , warmed car up for X minutes with zero oil, cover it up, lie, play dumn, give back and I complain they say im crazy, 40 miles later BooM... B

uy replacement motor takes a while to install waiting on turbos and we get it in and the crankshaft is damaged causing wobbling dampener... place denies warranty bc its over 30 days (OEMPARTSNOW) on ebay. good bye 7ks but some how motor is lasting and taking a thrashing ? But im sure ill need another one before long... LOL

But this poor evo has had nothing but the best parts thrown at it and user error , just like in my case, causes catastrophe... youre not alone @bigdnno98
    That's some pretty bad luck too Chuck! damn. The dealer? WTF. That's not the first time I've heard of a shop running a car with no oil though. A local shop (actually buddies of mine) built a TT 350z and went to break the new motor in on the dyno.... forgot to put oil in it. kaboom. So you're driving the car with the screwed up motor you got? haha, why not huh? drive it till it goes kaboom. why not just part the car out and trade it in like it is? at least you get something back from the car. Then use your N54 parts on a different N54 (maybe a not cursed one LOL)

I've reached out to some reputable shops. I think I have a plan so far. Track One really threw a wrench in my plans this morning by going out of business but Mike, the owner has reached out and referred me to someone he personally endorses so we'll see. I also didn't know that the world class machine shop locall assembles complete long blocks. if i had known this my car would be tearing up the strip right now. I had them do the machine work and never thought to ask if they assembled engines. Well, come to find out they do. They're willing to disaasemble my engine, build my new head, check piston to valve clearance and assemble my long block for $750 labor + any parts need (which should only be a new head gasket). You can't beat that deal. He's also Track One's machine shop so I assume that had something to do with it. Then I pay the shop that Track One referred me to to install a long block and get the car back running and that is hopefully all she wrote. I'm hoping all for less than $2,000. That would be a dream come true after this $#@!ing nightmare.

MTF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow, what a long journey. just read the thread lol. Seems like this happens to a lot of evo/sti owners around me....although the Subaru guys def go through things like this more often. Hopefully you get it running well and back on the road finally!
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I bought a new head Tuesday. It shipped yesterday. I'm bringing my old head to the machine shop tomorrow. He'll switch over the good parts from the old head to the new head and do a valve job and all the jazz. I'm going to ask how much a good port/polish job is while I'm there Click here to enlarge Once the head is done, prob next friday, i'll bring it to the engine builder and he'll measure piston to valve clearance. Once we have that we'll order a custom cometic head gasket. that'll take a week to get in. then it'll be ready to put back together and hopefully all is good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    wow, what a long journey. just read the thread lol. Seems like this happens to a lot of evo/sti owners around me....although the Subaru guys def go through things like this more often. Hopefully you get it running well and back on the road finally!
    scoobies have so many problems because the stock piston ringlettes are so weak. they break around 400HP. then the flat 4 is a little challenging to work on if you're not a scoobie expert. (if you've never seen a flat four in person you really should. it's so weird).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    scoobies have so many problems because the stock piston ringlettes are so weak. they break around 400HP. then the flat 4 is a little challenging to work on if you're not a scoobie expert. (if you've never seen a flat four in person you really should. it's so weird).
    Yeah I've seen many many evos/sti's, but all the subarus seem to go down the same paths. stock motor blows -> build motor.....that blows up -> rebuild motor....that blows up -> return to stock, and sell car lol. we have many fast evos around here in md, including the kennyg evo lol.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I WANT A DSM SO BAD!!!!!!!!

99 GSX MT

PREFERABLY MAROON WITH TAN LEATHER

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I WANT A DSM SO BAD!!!!!!!!

99 GSX MT

PREFERABLY MAROON WITH TAN LEATHER
    Isn't this motor similar? If I had your experience I'd stay away for life.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast