Close

View Poll Results: Which mustang would you choose and why?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500

17 77.27%
  • 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 + Blower or turbo???

5 22.73%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

If you could choose a new gen mustang...

Ok, the 2013 shelby GT500 is 662 hp and it is an amazing car for the money.

The new Mustang GT 5.0 is amazing in its own right, 410 HP and very very affordable.

If you could choose between a 5.0 GT with an aftermarket supercharger or the 2013 GT500, which would you choose? Assume that price is an issue, reliability is an issue and take the cars for what they're worth. Try and justify your claim as to which is better for the dollar. Which is the better platform?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2013 GT500 more reliable, more HP, has a warranty, etc.

But in reality I really dislike the interior and driving those cars all together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

2 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This post by Legionofboom is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    I would walk before I drove a mustang.
    So I'm guessing you're a paraplegic?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was gonna say Z06 > GT500, but then I double checked the price.... Click here to enlarge

Base MSRP GT500 - $54.2
    Base MSRP Corvette - $49.6, or $59.6 with the Grand Sport Trim
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GT500 all day every day. It's spectacular.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gt500.A car that comes with a blower from factory will usually be more reliable than adding F/I to the 5.0 As well with the brake and handling power to come with it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Gt500.A car that comes with a blower from factory will usually be more reliable than adding F/I to the 5.0 As well with the brake and handling power to come with it.
    I actually watched the Drive review on the ZL1 vs GT500, and they said even with the Track Pack the brakes on the GT500 worked poorly after high speed braking/several laps on the track. But I'm sure they're more than efficient for the street.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmwtek Click here to enlarge
    I actually watched the Drive review on the ZL1 vs GT500, and they said even with the Track Pack the brakes on the GT500 worked poorly after high speed braking/several laps on the track. But I'm sure they're more than efficient for the street.
    Compared to a 5.0 though, I'm still sure it's better lol.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    After spending time in every current 13 Mustang from the GT to Boss to Boss LS to GT500...

For my money I would go to the Boss 302 LS. For me the reasons are the suspension/brakes and chassis balance vs the GT500. I mean you get the Recaro seats, Brembos, Front Splitter and Rear spoiler. That latter two are functional and have real affect. Moreover I love the fact that with a set of coilovers and staggered 19"s all around I get a great stance with handling. I would throw a blower on the car likely an intercooled Vortech setup. Though the Hellion turbo kit calls my name with that car.

The Boss offers more grip and balance than the GT500 and is nearly as if not faster around a road course IMO. With a blower, coilovers, wheels/tires in place I would be at the price of a GT500 before mods give or take a few bucks. Its a wickedly fast package in that form. One of my dealers has been riding around in a new 2013 Blk LS for the past month, he has added KW Coilovers with True Forged 19"s on P-Zero Corsa tires. He's in love with the car. The irony is that he owns a Chevy store and wont drive a ZL1. Thats hilarious IMO
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the constructive ideas guys. And to all the trolls who are talking $#@!, please go crawl back into your BMW and masturbate to your bavarian peice of $#@!. We all own BMWs here, and are tired of running 10s after spending 70k on unreliable mods.

Now that we got that out of the way, I forgot to mention a 2 seater is out of the question, lets stay on topic...

Here are the options:

Mustang GT 5.0 with big power adder, 2.3 whipple FRPP 624 hp blower package and nothing else.
    Boss Mustang with headers, intake and a tune + gears.
    bone stock 2013 shelby GT500

Price is a concern, the shelby is a little bit out of my pricepoint right now but it is so appealing in so many ways. I want a powerful daily driver and I dont mind getting a boss and going for a sick NA setup either...

Thoughts?

edit: theres a guy on this forum that has a boss, I wish he would chime in. Also, @Laloosh has a GT 5.0 right? What mods?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    edit: theres a guy on this forum that has a boss, I wish he would chime in.
    @DD GT3 RD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ thats the guy, I really want his input on how the boss pulls from a roll, how it responds to mods and how powerful it feels overall in NA form.

I wonder what the main differences are between the boss and basemodel GT 5.0, I know the rev limit is increased, but I assume there is a different set of cams and tune to get the boost of +30 hp.

edit: found this info

"To eke out of the Mustang GT’s engine a bonus 32 horses, Ford created a new intake manifold with runners resembling velocity stacks. Different cylinder heads were deployed—stronger alloy and altered ports—with each head undergoing 2.5 hours of CNC massaging. The camshafts offer increased lift, the intake valves are larger, the bearings are race-spec, and the baffled pan holds 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil."

So it looks like the boss is a completely different engine, heads, cams, bearings, valves, is all different. This engine seems menacing, I am strongly considering building an NA boss now that this option has caught my eye.
    Last edited by DBFIU; 12-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I own a boss. No power mods just suspension bits. Let me know if you have any specific question and would be glad to answer
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    I own a boss. No power mods just suspension bits. Let me know if you have any specific question and would be glad to answer
    You over on TMS? I frequented there until i decided to get a 335i over a Mustang, everyone was really pleasant over there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    You over on TMS? I frequented there until i decided to get a 335i over a Mustang, everyone was really pleasant over there.
    Go on tms and boss mustangs online. Seems to be an older crowd, more track oriented on BMO. Much more mature and very helpful. No drama.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Do you feel that the boss has a good power to weight? Pulls good in all gears? Take your mind off of the track oriented boss, think in terms of a daily driver/street car that is performance oriented. Does the car feel underpowered at all? What are the main power mods for this car, that yield the biggest gains?

thanks

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The best part of the Mustangs is the ability to create what you want... If you want a bad ass version of the Boss without boost then your options are very interesting. Of the GT, Boss and GT500 the Boss is the best all around car. It pulls hard and has no tq dive IMO. It comes stock with 3.73 gears a simple change to say 4.10 gears would give even more acceleration with limited change in top speed. Drive one is the best way to decide if you like it or not but its not lacking in power stock for sure.

My mod list for a NA beast that can hold its on in a straight line.

1. Kooks long tube headers & catted X Pipe
    2. Magnaflow or Bassani cat back exhaust
    3. JLT Cold Air (Carbon Fiber) with Tune
    4. FRPP 4.10 gears (This will pull like an ape no matter what gear you're in)

This will net an easy 50+whp more likely 60-70. This combined with the gears will have the car pulling so hard you wont believe its NA. I will find some dyno's showing the power mods and/or trap speeds of comparable modded cars.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-boss-302.html Good info on the Boss vs stock GT by Inside Line

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...t/viewall.html Modded GT with Boss intake & worked TB/Tune dyno testing

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...l/viewall.html Massive Vortech JT trim install totally stock minus the blower & fuel upgrades
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now I'm gonna throw you a curve ball and make a suggestion... Buy a Roush Mustang a Stage 3 to be specific. They sell all over Ebay for the mid to low $50k mark its pricey but you get some good $#@! with it. A modded Mustang with a warranty. Suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, aero parts, blower, shifter and so on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2013-...t_33267wt_1182

http://roadtesttv.wordpress.com/2010...-road-test-tv/
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gt500, its good, its ready and it performs. I was at a dyno day where one made 630 whp with just a tune.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Do you feel that the boss has a good power to weight? Pulls good in all gears? Take your mind off of the track oriented boss, think in terms of a daily driver/street car that is performance oriented. Does the car feel underpowered at all? What are the main power mods for this car, that yield the biggest gains?

thanks
    For a daily driven street car it is definitively NOT underpowered. There is no question it is faster in a straight than the M3. It honestly feels as fast as my C63 P31 was and those dyno around 420whp on a dyno jet. Now it Prob isn't as fast but it Prob falls right in between that car and the M3 as its figures suggest. Car has a great amount of torque and pulls out of low rpm well and weighs the same as the M3.

Power mods are the same as others, headers, cat removal but that depends if u want a loud car. You can buy a supercharger with warranty from ford racing and have ford install it. But from the sound of it you should just buy the GT500. If you don't track the car buy the GT500. I wanted a balanced car cause my priority is tracking, if its a street car I would buy the GT500
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You will enjoy the car most in short street blasts. Nothing will put a bigger smile on your face in this regard than the GT500.

Putting a blower on the Coyote is possible of course but think about the cost, install, maintenance etc. With the GT500 you just need a pulley, maybe a tune, and grins from ear to ear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all the help sledgehammer and DD, I am going to do a little more research on what me needs really are and I will do some test drives as well.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GT500 no questions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Now I'm gonna throw you a curve ball and make a suggestion... Buy a Roush Mustang a Stage 3 to be specific. They sell all over Ebay for the mid to low $50k mark its pricey but you get some good $#@! with it. A modded Mustang with a warranty. Suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, aero parts, blower, shifter and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jABaOO3ZInM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2013-...t_33267wt_1182

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkPRE0WbYE

http://roadtesttv.wordpress.com/2010...-road-test-tv/
    This^

The Roush mustangs are ridiculous. If i had to choose a Mustang, it would be a Stage 3 Roush
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast