Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: DOC Race N54 single turbo manifold

              
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106,221
    Rep Points
    26,071.6
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261


    Reputation: Yes | No

    DOC Race N54 single turbo manifold

    Don't thinks was posted here before. HPF was supposed to use this manifold but not sure if anything ever came of this. Anyway, just wanted to post up an alternative to FFTEC:

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Roanoke VA
    Posts
    1,615
    Rep Points
    2,205.7
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Nice, it would require some slight modding to work but looks like a good place to start if anyone is seriously interested.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    over there
    Posts
    288
    Rep Points
    481.1
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i believe they didnt use it because it had an 02 sensor. the new one they are making has 2 wastegates i believe
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    913.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i believe they didnt use it because it had an 02 sensor. the new one they are making has 2 wastegates i believe
    +1 There have to be two O2 sensors in the manifold. And the runner lengths were highly unequal on this design.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    205
    Rep Points
    675.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yup, that's the first revision that didn't work since the primary O2's need to be separated for the front and rear bank of 3 cylinders.

    Here's the new version that HPF will be using :

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Points
    2,620.1
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    hm that way looks a lot better...plus the 02s are reading off the total exhaust from each bank, not one cylinder like someone elses...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    108
    Rep Points
    198.1
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hm that way looks a lot better...plus the 02s are reading off the total exhaust from each bank, not one cylinder like someone elses...
    Odd, which one?

    Just a thought: the original design will be a nice accompaniment to the ProEFI standalone. That will be one hellacious motor - drag, drift, or roadcourse! I have lots of S54 street and track customers with very expensive VANOS problems/failures, and the N54 on low boost will destroy any NA S54. Can you say NASA or BMWCCA Club Race overall winner?
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Points
    2,620.1
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Odd, which one?

    Just a thought: the original design will be a nice accompaniment to the ProEFI standalone. That will be one hellacious motor - drag, drift, or roadcourse! I have lots of S54 street and track customers with very expensive VANOS problems/failures, and the N54 on low boost will destroy any NA S54. Can you say NASA or BMWCCA Club Race overall winner?
    Wasnt the shiv one reading in like one cylinder per side? I gotta go find the picture of it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    205
    Rep Points
    675.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasnt the shiv one reading in like one cylinder per side? I gotta go find the picture of it.
    Nah, his O2's are situated in the same location as the DOC Race one. Both manifolds look similar in routing.

    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Snertz; 11-13-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Herp Derp

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    6,529
    Rep Points
    6,487.0
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    65


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks promising. Does this one also require the block coolant line to be relocated?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Points
    2,620.1
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, his O2's are situated in the same location as the DOC Race one. Both manifolds look similar in routing.

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...11/5OKR9-1.jpg
    I stand corrected. I do know someones manifold had $#@!ty 02 placement...for the life of me I cant remember who

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106,221
    Rep Points
    26,071.6
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup, that's the first revision that didn't work since the primary O2's need to be separated for the front and rear bank of 3 cylinders.

    Here's the new version that HPF will be using :

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...11/cT0RA-1.jpg

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...11/Iibk3-1.jpg

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...11/wQpS2-1.jpg
    This looks nice.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    856
    Rep Points
    1,529.3
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I stand corrected. I do know someones manifold had $#@!ty 02 placement...for the life of me I cant remember who

    Pretty sure you are thinking of the original HPF manifold. To my knowledge, HPF and FFTEC are the only two companies to place the O2 sensors before the turbo (hence the only two that actually worked).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Points
    2,620.1
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure you are thinking of the original HPF manifold. To my knowledge, HPF and FFTEC are the only two companies to place the O2 sensors before the turbo (hence the only two that actually worked).
    Ahhh yes that was it..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,402
    Rep Points
    2,073.2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hpf had a fugly design with that plate by the flange to make it two banks. I couldn't even believe they tried to pass it off and put it on the white background.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 800+ Members Strong!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/112468002137607/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106,221
    Rep Points
    26,071.6
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hpf had a fugly design with that plate by the flange to make it two banks. I couldn't even believe they tried to pass it off and put it on the white background.
    HPF does great work for the BMW community so I don't want to talk smack but I don't know what they were thinking with that either. They dropped that design though and are letting a manifold manufacturer handle it so don't worry. Plus, they allow you to use multiple choices for manifolds so not like you can't mate whatever you want. They don't force things on you *cough* vishnu *cough*.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Is it just me or are the pipes on the FFTEC wider in diameter?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106,221
    Rep Points
    26,071.6
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just me or are the pipes on the FFTEC wider in diameter?
    Difficult to tell with the naked eye through internet pics like that. Would love to have measurements though.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    +1 I haven't seen any in depth technical analysis of the FFTEC mani. I'd love to start seeing some science and numbers!
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Points
    24.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    When you place the 02 before the turbo, the back pressure skews the readings. Does any of the ems options have a way to compensate for this?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    Rep Points
    2,355.2
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by luckystrike Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you place the 02 before the turbo, the back pressure skews the readings. Does any of the ems options have a way to compensate for this?
    I've always had thought that would throw off o2 readings, have any proof of this? Curious to read up results if someone tested it.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    856
    Rep Points
    1,529.3
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always had thought that would throw off o2 readings, have any proof of this? Curious to read up results if someone tested it.
    Back pressure typically does throw off wideband readings. Not sure if our sensors are less prone to that, or if the tune is compensating for it. I asked Shiv about it when he first released the pics of his manifold, and he said they hadn't seen any signs of it. It doesn't seem like HPF had issues with it, either.

    EDIT: haven't had any experience with this situation yet, but this info is what I have read. Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    50
    Rep Points
    84.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back pressure typically does throw off wideband readings. Not sure if our sensors are less prone to that, or if the tune is compensating for it. I asked Shiv about it when he first released the pics of his manifold, and he said they hadn't seen any signs of it. It doesn't seem like HPF had issues with it, either.

    EDIT: haven't had any experience with this situation yet, but this info is what I have read. Click here to enlarge
    I can't seem to find the post, but I remember Shiv either eluding to or stating directly that there is some form of compensation needed/used with this particular o2 sensor configuration.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Points
    24.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes there is. My subaru had a compensation table in it from the factory. The ecu is depending on these sensors for fueling

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    856
    Rep Points
    1,529.3
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2000max Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't seem to find the post, but I remember Shiv either eluding to or stating directly that there is some form of compensation needed/used with this particular o2 sensor configuration.
    I would defintely be interested in reading that if you can find it (hint, hint) LOL. I'm not sure how I would even go about searching for that.

    Maybe he made that discovery at some point after I asked, or maybe he was just brushing me off (I'm assuming he would have already been aware of that potential issue).

    Terry, how hard would it be for you to compensate for the effect of increased backpressure on wideband readings with the JB4 and/or Cobb?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •