Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meth in Airbox

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meth in Airbox

Ok guys i usually keep my dumb ideas to myself but i'm ready to move on this one so i'd like some feed back.

my car is a 535xi fbo dci's and before anyone posted about cpe and ER intercoolers on the 535 i had a custom unit made although better that stock it's still not the greatest. Ive gotten by with map3 ww kit. but on hot days map 5 is outta of the question. i dynoed cobb stg2 with poor results and 160 iat's in the spring. map3 dynos fall in line hp wise.

So I'm thinking about upgraded turbos and being able to run other maps and i already have a aquamist kit waiting and i've read here: http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

pre turbo meth is a good idea so my plan was 3 nozzles aquamist says at least 2 i'd locate a third in the airbox post filter, and add a mr.5 setup to insure good flow.

Buying a new i/c really isn't an option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TLO03 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok guys i usually keep my dumb ideas to myself but i'm ready to move on this one so i'd like some feed back.

my car is a 535xi fbo dci's and before anyone posted about cpe and ER intercoolers on the 535 i had a custom unit made although better that stock it's still not the greatest. Ive gotten by with map3 ww kit. but on hot days map 5 is outta of the question. i dynoed cobb stg2 with poor results and 160 iat's in the spring. map3 dynos fall in line hp wise.

So I'm thinking about upgraded turbos and being able to run other maps and i already have a aquamist kit waiting and i've read here: http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

pre turbo meth is a good idea so my plan was 3 nozzles aquamist says at least 2 i'd locate a third in the airbox post filter, and add a mr.5 setup to insure good flow.

Meth in airbox should lower PWM but won't do as much to cool your IATs as meth post IC. That is how I understand it anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would still retain 2 nozzles post ic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I considered this a lot as well. if "I" were to do it. i think i would try a 5/7 split, 5 in airbox, 7 post FMIC and go from there, would also consider i high meth content to ensure max atomization/evap for pre-turbo shot

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1742 Post(s)

Why? Doesn't CPE have a good option?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I considered this a lot as well. if "I" were to do it. i think i would try a 5/7 split, 5 in airbox, 7 post FMIC and go from there, would also consider i high meth content to ensure max atomization/evap for pre-turbo shot
    are you saying 7 nozzles? and thanks for the input.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why? Doesn't CPE have a good option?
    well stick heres the deal, 535 guys that log and tinker a bit are hard to come buy so the guys that do have them have cpe/er setups arent really posting up useful data. im not spending another $1000 and front end mods to fit it only to find out its the same as my current setup.

And id prefer to run my stock air box. basically i have all i need to run safely now, even on upgraded turbos . cpe maybe an option if i could pick one up on the cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

lol, no, 2 nozzles a cm5 and cm7

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1742 Post(s)

well stick heres the deal, 535 guys that log and tinker a bit are hard to come buy so the guys that do have them have cpe/er setups arent really posting up useful data. im not spending another $1000 and front end mods to fit it only to find out its the same as my current setup.
    When it comes to 535 intercooler options I think this forum has it covered pretty well. Not a robust subject due to the lack of options but I think you can top the IC you have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    lol, no, 2 nozzles a cm5 and cm7

O gotcha lol. well I'm thinking that theres no real way to ensure equal distribution to the turbos... anyone see that as a legitimate concern?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    When it comes to 535 intercooler options I think this forum has it covered pretty well. Not a robust subject due to the lack of options but I think you can top the IC you have.
    yes stick BB has the most info on 535 i/c's i was there when it happened, i had mine installed and tested before it happened. I may be able to top it with the cpe but i wouldnt know b/c theres no proof and contray to popular belief 335's and 535's are vastly different in some aspects especially in this area..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1742 Post(s)

yes stick BB has the most info on 535 i/c's i was there when it happened, i had mine installed and tested before it happened. I may be able to top it with the cpe but i wouldnt know b/c theres no proof and contray to popular belief 335's and 535's are vastly different in some aspects especially in this area..
    They definitely are different but if you don't want to explore the IC then meth is logical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I'm a bit unfamiliar with Meth on cars other than mine so I may be totally wrong here and feel free to let me know that. However from my understanding spraying pre-turbo would lead the meth to go through the FMIC right? at this point wouldn't the FMIC act almost as a front mount "warmer" since the air blowing against the FMIC may be warmer than the air that's already been sprayed with meth going through it? With spraying into the airbox, wouldn't you worry about messing up your MAF sensor since Meth can be pretty corrosive?

I would say just spraying as much as you can post-FMIC would be ideal, unless you have an electronic TB that is known to fail if too much meth is sprayed and not evaporated well enough prior to passing through the TB, like the VW TSI engines =/.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    We have electronic throttle, and no reported throttle failures caused by water/meth sprayed post IC. Also no MAF, just load calculated from two MAP sensors, one 2.5bar absolute pre throttle and one 0.25bar absolute inside the manifold (for sensitive idle and low throttle load measurement).

From what I've read here you want water pre-turbo and meth post-IC.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge
    We have electronic throttle, and no reported throttle failures caused by water/meth sprayed post IC. Also no MAF, just load calculated from two MAP sensors, one 2.5bar absolute pre throttle and one 0.25bar absolute inside the manifold (for sensitive idle and low throttle load measurement).

From what I've read here you want water pre-turbo and meth post-IC.
    thanks for clearing that up for me, i'd rep if i could.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Spraying pre-turbo helps to stretch out the turbos efficiency and spraying post turbo is where you're going to be seeing the CAT reduction.

Me personally, I would place a small nozzle in each intake tube immediately post air box and then two "normal" size nozzles post IC but as far from the TMAP as possible. Using a high meth concentration(~75%.)
    Last edited by rader1; 11-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you are shooting meth or water pre-turbo, you want to make sure your components are top-notch and that you check the spray pattern frequently. I've seen a lot of damaged turbines from little droplets of water hitting the wheel.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Correction to my post above: Not a 0.25bar absolute - it's a 1.25 bar absolute pressure sensor inside the manifold.

And I'm not familiar enough with water/meth injection theory and practice to mess with anything pre-turbo. I'm sticking with water/meth mix post IC only.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    If you are shooting meth or water pre-turbo, you want to make sure your components are top-notch and that you check the spray pattern frequently. I've seen a lot of damaged turbines from little droplets of water hitting the wheel.
    +1
    That's why I recommended IMMEDIATELY post air box, small nozzles and high meth concentration.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You guys are crazy with your 32 nozzle setups. One well placed nozzle (or maybe two if you need a lot, but want better atomization) is all you need. Injecting in the airbox will probably just cause puddling, as the air velocity is very low in the airbox (as compared to the charge pipe).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)

FWIW I plan to test this on the RBs just for kicks. Probably dual 3s or 5s in the cone filters.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    FWIW I plan to test this on the RBs just for kicks. Probably dual 3s or 5s in the cone filters.
    I plan on buying a kit from you after I get a new clutch to do this with dual CM5 in the cone filters. Tired of dealing with E85 lean outs.

Click here to enlarge

I won't be running any post IC I think (doing this to lower WGDC as well).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well maybe this wasn't such a dumb idea.. This is happening for me I'll be drilling the airbox this week. @Terry I'm really interested in what you have planned.Thanks guys

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

anyone doing direct port for fueling benefits? I think I seen that one guy who was going to go ST do it, but not sure if he put it on yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    anyone doing direct port for fueling benefits? I think I seen that one guy who was going to go ST do it, but not sure if he put it on yet.
    It's popular on other platforms and could work but I have not seen any hard N54 data on it yet.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It's popular on other platforms and could work but I have not seen any hard N54 data on it yet.
    yeah i have a spare intake manifold and all the needed items to get it set up on my VW, just putting off the install. But then again my TB is pretty prone to frying due to too much meth so we should only flow about 250cc/c on stock turbos so pre-tb spraying is pretty much just for lower IATs. I guess it's a bit different with the N54 engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast