Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Ferrari recalls California, Italia models for faulty crankshafts

By Jerry Hirsch May 21, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

Here's a big oops for Ferrari, the maker of mega-bucks sports cars. It made a mistake building the crankshafts for the engines in its California and 458 Italia models and now will have to repair or replace them, depending on what the owner picks.
    Ferrari said it will recall the 2011 and 2012 model-year cars because the crankshaft error can cause the engines in the vehicles, which sell for $200,000 or more, to freeze suddenly and possibly cause a crash.
    The Italian automaker learned of the problem in a uniquely embarrassing way. The first of these models to have its engine freeze was the car the company was lending to critics to review.
    Ferrari said that after launching an investigation in March, it learned that the crankshafts of the F136 engines in the vehicles were machined incorrectly. It turns out that the crankshaft-grinding machine was incorrectly set up. The company has since reprogrammed the machine.
    The eight-cylinder engine produces up to 562 horsepower and gets 14 mpg. The car rockets from stopped to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds
    This will be one expensive repair for the automaker, but it affects only 74 cars because the sales volume for exotic vehicles is small.
    Owners of the vehicles have the option of having a new crankshaft and bearings installed by their dealer, having the engine removed from the car and the repair work done by Ferrari North America, or having a new, correctly machined Ferrari engine installed in the car at the dealership.
    Getting owners to take their cars in for repair following a recall is more of a problem than most consumers realize, according to auto information company Edmunds.com.
    In a report earlier this month, Edmunds said its analysis of two General Motors Co. recalls showed a completion rate of just 52.5% as of December 2011. GM says its recalls generally reach a completion rate of about 70%. No other automaker would provide Edmunds with a completion rate for recalls.
    But it is unlikely Ferrari owners will overlook this defect, which could leave $200,000 strewn across the road. Ferrari owners with questions about the recall can contact the company at 201-816-2600.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ouch, that is a big problem. I mean at least it's only 74 cars they should contact them asap. I would rather get a new engine instead of taking that $#@! apart.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah at least they are stepping up and taking care of it. I would expect nothing less. I know if I had one I'd be beating the snot out of it LOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's a big mistake but I'm honestly surprised this stuff doesn't happen more often. A black eye to someone like Ferrari though but some Italian probably spent the night watching a little more football at the pub than he should have and the machine got set incorrectly.

With the danger of it seizing though this is a pretty big recall and one they need to do quickly to avoid huge liability. A shame but they seem to be going about it the right way.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At least they admitted to the fault then just hide behind blaming the customer for 'mis-use', something BMW loves to do.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Person A while installing the crank: "I'm hungry Luigi."
    Person B doing the same thing: "Me too Giovanni. There is a good restaurant across the street, let's go eat something there."
    Person A: "Good idea."

This is always the case. They go out do something, usually eating. And all Italians know this. But if you ever mention this to them, they will tell you the longest "Nooooooooo" that makes you think that you just said the stupidest thing ever in the planet earth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Person A while installing the crank: "I'm hungry Luigi."
    Person B doing the same thing: "Me too Giovanni. There is a good restaurant across the street, let's go eat something there."
    Person A: "Good idea."

This is always the case. They go out do something, usually eating. And all Italians know this. But if you ever mention this to them, they will tell you the longest "Nooooooooo" that makes you think that you just said the stupidest thing ever in the planet earth.
    My brother, is your car affected by this?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    My brother, is your car affected by this?
    Fortunately, No Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOW Thanks for posting this LZH! Just told my Cousin to check with the dealer and his 458 is already at the dealer for an ECU failure!
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ECU failure? I was under the impression that current Ferraris were much more reliable, mostly from the F430 onwards?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    ECU failure? I was under the impression that current Ferraris were much more reliable, mostly from the F430 onwards?
    Yup. I'll get more details from him when i see him but he just spoke to the dealer and they are checking up on the recall. He'll be asking for a new engine.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Yup. I'll get more details from him when i see him but he just spoke to the dealer and they are checking up on the recall. He'll be asking for a new engine.
    Can he keep the old one? Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Can he keep the old one? Click here to enlarge
    I highly doubt that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    They are but it is still Italians building them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They are but it is still Italians building them.
    Yes. Ferrari/Lamborghini cars aren't like what they used to be. They are much more reliable, but still there is some Italian dudes in production line that had a rough night and couldn't sleep.

Check this, first burning Ferrari FF which is the most refined Ferrari ever. But still it was built by some dude called Roberto.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they took less smoking breaks while assembling these things...