Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    To each their own... However the Corvette vs GT500 comparo really isn't equal they are very different cars going to different demographics. That being said the current platform is light years ahead of the Fox platform. Is it perfect no. But if you have driven every current Mustang and walked away unimpressed with the performance then I find that more interesting than anything else. Its no M3 but its certainly no heap of junk. But to each their own!

Mustangs are certainly getting better... but I can't imagine the improvements that have been made on newer mustangs were difficult to make seeing as how a toddler could have improved on the previous gen mustangs, I have nothing against American cars but the previous gen mustangs were pure heap and the newer ones aren't exactly on another planet. I personally do no think the throttle was properly calibrated on the 5.0 (it felt way too light), it rolled on every turn, the shifter felt notchy and the steering truly felt like I was driving a much bigger sedan. The weight of the vehicle also turned me off... this new Gt500 seems to have this all too common issue of not being able to use its power due to an improperly setup suspension or tire / wheel match... I can't imagine how difficult this thing will be in the corners. As you said though... to each his own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by questforpower Click here to enlarge
    Mustangs are certainly getting better... but I can't imagine the improvements that have been made on newer mustangs were difficult to make seeing as how a toddler could have improved on the previous gen mustangs, I have nothing against American cars but the previous gen mustangs were pure heap and the newer ones aren't exactly on another planet. I personally do no think the throttle was properly calibrated on the 5.0 (it felt way too light), it rolled on every turn, the shifter felt notchy and the steering truly felt like I was driving a much bigger sedan. The weight of the vehicle also turned me off... this new Gt500 seems to have this all too common issue of not being able to use its power due to an improperly setup suspension or tire / wheel match... I can't imagine how difficult this thing will be in the corners. As you said though... to each his own.
    Hating a car that isn't even out yet?

I call shenanigans.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    I read about this. Damn what a comeback from Ford. Its out to compete with the ZR1. Also the price is so affordable.
    No one who's shopping for a 'vette ZR1 is going to cross-shop the GT500, and vice-versa. Very different cars, at very different price points. However, it is definitely out to compete with the also-impressive Camaro ZL1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Hating a car that isn't even out yet?

I call shenanigans.
    I am merely basing everything off my experience of every previous mustang that i've driven... this seems like another situation where ford believes that putting as much power into an engine solves everything; well the performance numbers prove that fact. I mean come on, the car ran an 11.7 with an experienced driver for Motortrend (a magazine that notoriously overestimates vehicles performance)... so I can only assume that a commoner will run 12's with it. That's a joke for a 650 HP car... I can't think of any solid platform where this should be the case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by questforpower Click here to enlarge
    I am merely basing everything off my experience of every previous mustang that i've driven... this seems like another situation where ford believes that putting as much power into an engine solves everything; well the performance numbers prove that fact. I mean come on, the car ran an 11.7 with an experienced driver for Motortrend (a magazine that notoriously overestimates vehicles performance)... so I can only assume that a commoner will run 12's with it. That's a joke for a 650 HP car... I can't think of any solid platform where this should be the case.

This shows you have no idea what you are talking about !!!
    This dude 2011 gt500 is the fastest stock with slicks !!
    11.27 @ 122
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...mile-pass.html
    I think this sums it up !!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 2013 GT500 is going to have way better suspension (Bilstein) and way better TC and launch control and alot more...not just adding power !!! get your facts straight (and not from magazines) before posting stupid things !!!!
    Its gonna be a high 10's car with a good DRIVER !

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge

Well then as I said to each their own... I would say your statements are more than a bit suspect. If you drove the new 5.o and came away completely and utterly unimpressed then I would have to wonder what you currently drive that comes across as being far superior. So feel free to post a pic, describe your cars mods and what times its running in the 1/4 mile, trap speeds or road course times. I'd like to better understand your mindset/experience.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    They dont need to design it for the "big dogs" it just needs to hold up at stock power levels.
    People buy this car as a mod platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

We will see low 11's out of this car EASY.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Most people, yes. But I am sure that there would be plenty of people happy with the 650hp it offers. And it would be much faster with DCT. DCT doesn't have to be the only option, but it should at least be one.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Most people, yes. But I am sure that there would be plenty of people happy with the 650hp it offers. And it would be much faster with DCT. DCT doesn't have to be the only option, but it should at least be one.
    Now this is a good point you make.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Now this is a good point you make.
    I know it is not going to happen. But it would be very cool, and with the right gearing, a highway monster.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I know it is not going to happen. But it would be very cool, and with the right gearing, a highway monster.
    With a dual clutch it would be an everything monster and maybe even a 10 second car stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

With a dual clutch it would be an everything monster and maybe even a 10 second car stock.
    They use a DCT in the Focus RS. Its a shame they havent at least added it as an option on the 5.0.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Well then as I said to each their own... I would say your statements are more than a bit suspect. If you drove the new 5.o and came away completely and utterly unimpressed then I would have to wonder what you currently drive that comes across as being far superior. So feel free to post a pic, describe your cars mods and what times its running in the 1/4 mile, trap speeds or road course times. I'd like to better understand your mindset/experience.

My friend if everything was about performance numbers and track times... then standards would be completely different. Even then, this is a car designed as a car meant to go fast in a straight line although it can't seem to do that right out of the box running an 11.7 with 650 hp. I drive a 335i, a car that does everything well... while not explosively quick, it does run a 12.5 in the 1/4 with full creature comforts, luxuries, has impeccable steering response, does not feel like it's about to fall apart and has a decent interior. It does very well for what its designed for and even crosses over pretty well for it is at the drag strip. That mustang cant compare in any of those to me except maybe 1/4 mile times as that is what it was designed... unfortunately from the numbers that I am seeing, it doesn't exactly excel there but instead is merely OK for its power. As I've said, different people have different needs but what is the point of a 650 HP super mustang if it can't use the power in what it's supposed to... there was a guy that ran a bone stock Z06 in 10.9 with far less HP, that is a very well designed car but as you've already stated, it comes down to what each person prefers, I just fail to see the point of another ultra HP mustang that isn't exactly excellent at anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sticky, value wise, I believe a 5.0 for 30K with a ford factory s/c for another 8K maybe a better option. Add a few supporting mods and you're still in better territory all things considered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

My friend if everything was about performance numbers and track times... then standards would be completely different. Even then, this is a car designed as a car meant to go fast in a straight line although it can't seem to do that right out of the box running an 11.7 with 650 hp. I drive a 335i, a car that does everything well... while not explosively quick, it does run a 12.5 in the 1/4 with full creature comforts, luxuries, has impeccable steering response, does not feel like it's about to fall apart and has a decent interior. It does very well for what its designed for and even crosses over pretty well for it is at the drag strip. That mustang cant compare in any of those to me except maybe 1/4 mile times as that is what it was designed... unfortunately from the numbers that I am seeing, it doesn't exactly excel there but instead is merely OK for its power. As I've said, different people have different needs but what is the point of a 650 HP super mustang if it can't use the power in what it's supposed to... there was a guy that ran a bone stock Z06 in 10.9 with far less HP, that is a very well designed car but as you've already stated, it comes down to what each person prefers, I just fail to see the point of another ultra HP mustang that isn't exactly excellent at anything.
    You didn't mention the trap speed. Watch what happens when someone uses slicks, or does a 60-130 pull.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

You didn't mention the trap speed. Watch what happens when someone uses slicks, or does a 60-130 pull.
    Trap speed doesn't tell you anything about the usability of the car on the streets, neither do slicks, everything can be corrected with mods, I though the idea here was to buy a 60K ready set mustang. It better have crazy trap speeds and 60-130 with 650 HP; unfortunately that is about as useful as a smoke alarm with a snooze button on the streets all things considered. The guy driving this car around town in stock form will be driving is just like any other mustang roasting its rears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Sticky, value wise, I believe a 5.0 for 30K with a ford factory s/c for another 8K maybe a better option. Add a few supporting mods and you're still in better territory all things considered.
    Value wise, maybe. But this thing is far more of a beast in stock form and only needs a pulley/tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Trap speed doesn't tell you anything about the usability of the car on the streets, neither do slicks, everything can be corrected with mods, I though the idea here was to buy a 60K ready set mustang. It better have crazy trap speeds and 60-130 with 650 HP; unfortunately that is about as useful as a smoke alarm with a snooze button on the streets all things considered. The guy driving this car around town in stock form will be driving is just like any other mustang roasting its rears.
    60-130 isnt necessarily useless on the streets. I would be willing to bet at least 50% of GT500 owners will hit those speeds more than once.
    Last edited by Forcefed; 02-04-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

60-130 isnt necessarily useless on the streets. I would be willing to bet at least 50% of GT500 owners will hit those speeds more than once. In my opinion, your logic here is about as good as your usage of punctuation.
    More than once doesn't say much... as they say if you can't beat their logic, go for the grammar. lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

More than once doesn't say much... as they say if you can't beat their logic, go for the grammar. lol
    Who says that? This car is clearly built to be a highway monster. Wait until this car hits the streets, we will see low 11's completely stock.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well that explains quite a bit... (You skipped your trap speeds by the way)

The 3 series is pretty refined while the Mustang is still a muscle car, albeit one with quite a bit of finesse. Your analogy that the GT500 is designed for straight-line performance is false and your continuing to compare it to a Vette makes no sense. You want to compare a fairly light 2 seat fiberglass sports car with a 4 seat coupe.

But going back to your overall critique I would argue that if it were geared solely towards straight-line performance it would be faster. Ford could unleash any number of options to accentuate the straight-line speed. Funny you say it can't put the power to the ground yet have never driven the 2013 GT500 which ironically I have recently. Ford did several things to ensure it could as much power to ground as possible like changing the final drive ratio which reduces tq multiplication, they added in a very smart traction control setup, they added launch control and a stout wheel/tire combo.

The car I drove was a pre production car and was astoundingly fast everywhere, all the time with little issue putting down the power effectively. I was most impressed that jumping on it in 2nd gear didn't produce tons of wheelspin, it hooked and went. I spend about 25 mins in the car with a combo of climbing a very hilly piece of road to some open highway. I came away convinced this is a sleeper as many people will not believe what it is. Its brute force and some folks don't handle that well while others prefer a velvet hammer approach like a M3. The issue here that the car is ALL about the performance per dollar and then creature comfort. So sure you can get an all glass roof, navi, stereo upgrades and recaro seats as well. But its meant to be silly fast in most any circumstance its the most well rounded Mustang to date.

Again I say to each their own, I drive a 2011 3 series and I have 2 Mustangs I like most anything thats fast but I couldn't disagree more with your assertion
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

The 3 series is pretty refined while the Mustang is still a muscle car, albeit one with quite a bit of finesse. Your analogy that the GT500 is designed for straight-line performance is false and your continuing to compare it to a Vette makes no sense. You want to compare a fairly light 2 seat fiberglass sports car with a 4 seat coupe.
    This is very true.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yep you're nuts bro... Trap speeds tend to be a clear indicator of HP and traction. I know several 12 secs cars that all run 12.5-12.7 but trap anywhere from 104 to 111mph. 12.7 at 104 is traction vs 111mph is power. On the street from say a roll it would be clear the car trapping 111mph would likely be faster. Its got the power where the other car has a hole shot.

Seriously bro you can't ignore the obvious here. In any case I can say my 95 GTS trapped 118mph on a 95 degree day spinning wildly on street tires and running a 13.2. Do you think if I run up on you on the highway in your 335 that you won't get walked? Yet your car ran a faster time that my car right. Numbers are not everything as you mentioned but usually they have a strong meaning. IMO
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast