Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

New Acura NSX hybrid concept

I've always liked the NSX. A replacement has been overdue for a long time and Acura really milked the previous generation for as long as they possibly could. This has a V6, but is mid-engined unlike the previous concept, along with an electric motor sending power to the front wheels. DCT is standard.

I like the idea and design, just hope they don't make it stupid expensive like the LF-A and that they actually build it:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Honda/Acura NSX Concept unveiled

http://www.streetfire.net/video/honda-acura-nsx-concept-unveiled_2359013.htm

T
    otally opposite of what I was thinking the next NSX would be. Not liking the looks and also a hybrid?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Too much R8 in it.
    and the hybrid thing, man i hate that word. Honda used to be most innovative company in 90's, but now they are really watered down. a 3.5 V6 with batteries has no chance against a GT-R.

What really sucks to see is they dumped the NSX project they began 5 years ago. They made some preproduction models with +450hp V10, but at the very last the project was canceled and instead they focused on green cars.
    The production model would look like this:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honda should quit while they are ahead, it's a little late to try to catch up with their competition in this market. The original NSX was a cutting edge almost-supercar that IMO is one of the classic automobiles of my lifetime. Anyone that has ever had the opportunity to drive one will agree that it was one of the most fun, best handling, easy to drive fast cars ever built. The original NSX was released about 20 years ago, Honda should have been thinking about a real replacement long before now. Hell, Lexus was not even a company back when the NSX was released yet Lexus has acheived supercar status with the LF-A.

...hey Honda, keep on building what you do best...Civic Hybrids!
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Too much R8 in it.
    and the hybrid thing, man i hate that word. Honda used to be most innovative company in 90's, but now they are really watered down. a 3.5 V6 with batteries has no chance against a GT-R.

What really sucks to see is they dumped the NSX project they began 5 years ago. They made some preproduction models with +450hp V10, but at the very last the project was canceled and instead they focused on green cars.
    The production model would look like this:
    Click here to enlarge
    I too was looking forward to seeing a v10 +450hp NSX that was supposedly going to be competition for cars such as the GTR. I don't think that a hybrid is going to cut it. I'm sure the price tag is going to be hefty also. If I wanted to go green and pay a great amount of money, I would much rather pay for the Fisker Karma.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    threads merged

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only problem with the previous NSX was that it lacked power. I'm sure a new hybrid camry will give it a run for its money Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Only problem with the previous NSX was that it lacked power. I'm sure a new hybrid camry will give it a run for its money Click here to enlarge
    It could have used more power but at the time it wasn't bad. It was very reliable and a nice motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It could have used more power but at the time it wasn't bad. It was very reliable and a nice motor.
    Definitely agree. Even nowadays when I see one on the road, I can't help but to wonder if only Honda kept the NSX line going...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    To elaborate more on the next NSX powertrain, it uses a typical Hybrid V6 in the rear with a ~40hp hybrid drive motor sandwiched between engine and transmission, and one ~25hp electric motor at each front wheel. Acura's current 3.7L V6 produces 305hp, so unless they do something crazy I'd expect it to be around 400hp total. The transmission is a new dual-clutch automated manual. Rumors from mid-level Acura personnel I've spoken to suggest around $120k price. One of the auto news sites (can't remember which) reported that an Acura rep at the Detroit show said it will make up for the lack of power with low weight and balanced handling. Personally, I think it's too complex to become a classic. The old NSX is a really simple car that just works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    To elaborate more on the next NSX powertrain, it uses a typical Hybrid V6 in the rear with a ~40hp hybrid drive motor sandwiched between engine and transmission, and one ~25hp electric motor at each front wheel. Acura's current 3.7L V6 produces 305hp, so unless they do something crazy I'd expect it to be around 400hp total. The transmission is a new dual-clutch automated manual. Rumors from mid-level Acura personnel I've spoken to suggest around $120k price. One of the auto news sites (can't remember which) reported that an Acura rep at the Detroit show said it will make up for the lack of power with low weight and balanced handling. Personally, I think it's too complex to become a classic. The old NSX is a really simple car that just works.
    Plus 1 Honda has fallen off. They once produced fun cars. Now they are so bland its scary. Car's like the nsx, type r, s2000, and even the 90's SI civics were good fun cars. They have become crap.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully Honda will increase the new NSX's efficiency by strapping a few turbos on it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    suggest around $120k price.
    $120k is much better than what the LF-A goes for. I have faith Honda will deliver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get this hybrid $#@! out of here...Either all electric or all gas, hybrids are over complicated and stupid.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Acura NSX

Someone dig up some new info on the NSX. Looked promising!!!!!! Im too drunk!!
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here it is in some different colors:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I used to be a huge honda fan in the early 2000's. However, I dont think they have released a compelling product since they discontinued the s2000.

I am slightly excited for this car simply because the old NSX is one of my favorite cars of all time and certainly one of my favorite cars from my childhood. I always wondered why Honda never remained dedicated to it, if they would have kept updating it or at least kept it within the same ball park power wise as its competition I think they would have sold more of them. Towards the end it turned into a situation where you could buy an m3 for half the price that was pretty much just as fast.

I think Honda has lost its mojo in recent years and I dont think a hybrid NSX is going to fix anything, but i could be (and hope I am) wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    get rid of this hybrid $#@!... first the bmw i8 and now this? at least the porsche 918 makes up for it with a powerful v8 along with power electric motors...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2x, git rid of that crappy hybrid s***!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    I used to be a huge honda fan in the early 2000's. However, I dont think they have released a compelling product since they discontinued the s2000.

I am slightly excited for this car simply because the old NSX is one of my favorite cars of all time and certainly one of my favorite cars from my childhood. I always wondered why Honda never remained dedicated to it, if they would have kept updating it or at least kept it within the same ball park power wise as its competition I think they would have sold more of them. Towards the end it turned into a situation where you could buy an m3 for half the price that was pretty much just as fast.

I think Honda has lost its mojo in recent years and I dont think a hybrid NSX is going to fix anything, but i could be (and hope I am) wrong.

As a Honda/VW afficianado, I thought this was the perfect place to dip my newb toes in. There is a ton of excitement about this car, not only because it's potentially bringing back the NSX tradition of innovation and technology, but also because quite frankly (as fieldy stated), Honda hasn't really brought much to the table lately. Sometimes I feel like they used the economic downturn as an excuse to transition to a Toyota mindset - produce a bland, unoffensive product for the idiot masses... enthusiasts be damned. The passionate Honda crowd who has felt abandoned up to now is really hoping that this is a sign of things to come. Personally, I'm going to have to see more evidence than a new NSX before I'm ready to declare that Honda is back.

I was initially put off by the thought of the new NSX being a hybrid, but after thinking about it I think it makes perfect sense. The original NSX was groundbreaking - all-aluminum body, new engine technologies, exotic for daily use, etc. The NSX was as docile and reliable as a Civic during normal driving yet stood strong when compared to far more expensive and finnicky exotics of its era. So why should its successor be any different? The use of hybrid technology, in this case, will not primarily be for fuel efficiency (although that will certainly be a side-effect), but to enhance performance and handling. It allows Honda to keep the engine at a reasonable size/output, which keeps R&D and production costs down, while potentially delivering supercar numbers in terms of overall performance.

This new NSX screams classic Honda development to me. I just hope it trickles down. Count me as cautiously optimistic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with most of what you said but i wonder about the last couple sentences of the second paragraph.

I wonder if hybridization (new word) will really help handling. It seems like a couple hundred pounds of extra weight due to the batteries and extra motor(s) would hurt more than help handling.

I also wonder if hybridization would actually increase costs or at least cost the same on the r&d front?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    I also wonder if hybridization would actually increase costs or at least cost the same on the r&d front?
    They already develop hybrids and this is a model that is specialized and low volume that you only build when you are making enough money that it doesn't matter.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale