Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camaro ZL-1 lead engineer thinks Ford fans should thank GM for the new GT500

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have a dog in this fight but the Camaro does outsell the Mustang.
    Are you sure? The 90's Mustangs outsold the Camaro 4 to 1 I don't see how that trend suddenly changed with the new one which has been selling very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Remember handling isnt skidpad G's, thats grip. Slalom is more related to handling but also not an outright test.
    Well said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Listen the Camaro ZL1 will be fast for sure no mistaking that but I believe in terms of total overall performance GT500 has it beat... Will the ZR1 get beat by the GT500 stock vs stock not very likely but the GT500 at that point is a menace and that's not a good problem for GM.

No in terms of the 90"s let be honest here... The GM F Body twins got their respective asses handed to them buy the Mustangs from 87-93 and were outsold handily as nicely mentioned by sticky. That GM has come back with a new Camaro and outsold the current Mustang is noteworthy. Its also noteworthy that the Mustang didn't go out of production like the Camaro did so in my mind GM is playing catch up LOL. Seriously if the Camaro is outselling the Mustang in 5yrs then that's something to talk about but I suspect the Mustang will be the consistent performer among the two cars.

No matter how you shape it we have ourselves a good old fashion HP war and I plan to get involved.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    The GM F Body twins got their respective asses handed to them buy the Mustangs from 87-93 and were outsold handily as nicely mentioned by sticky. That GM has come back with a new Camaro and outsold the current Mustang is noteworthy. Its also noteworthy that the Mustang didn't go out of production like the Camaro did so in my mind GM is playing catch up LOL. Seriously if the Camaro is outselling the Mustang in 5yrs then that's something to talk about but I suspect the Mustang will be the consistent performer among the two cars.
    Yep. I'm still surprised the current Camaro is outselling the Mustang. Is that right? Or did GM just have a good month and they are playing that up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

No they are outselling the Mustang for sure... The Camaro sold over 6100 cars total in Oct 2011 vs the Mustang being just shy of 4900 for the same month. So its a decent difference overall, then again the Challenger sold just shy of 3100 for the same period so it is what it is.

Not to change subjects but the Challenger is even heavier and even in SRT8 form has it's hands full with base V8 Camaro's or GT's
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

No they are outselling the Mustang for sure... The Camaro sold over 6100 cars total in Oct 2011 vs the Mustang being just shy of 4900 for the same month. So its a decent difference overall, then again the Challenger sold just shy of 3100 for the same period so it is what it is.
    That is just one month.. what is the total amount of sales for this generation Mustang vs. the Camaro? The Mustang has to be higher.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure? The 90's Mustangs outsold the Camaro 4 to 1 I don't see how that trend suddenly changed with the new one which has been selling very well.
    It changed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I was gonna say the 90s was all mustang. 5.0's were selling like hot cakes. They discontinued the camaro for a reason, at the time they weren't selling. The only reason they are selling now is because the people who were teenagers back in the 90s, whom are now in their 30s are reminiscining. I almost bought a new SS camaro until I looked at the numbers and said nty I will take the 135 with a tune and run low 12s with solid handling.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

It changed.
    I think it is just temporary due to the Camaro being new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That is just one month.. what is the total amount of sales for this generation Mustang vs. the Camaro? The Mustang has to be higher.
    Sorry for the terse response a moment ago. I'm edgy today.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153145 Here's some perspective.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/04/c...ng-sales-2010/

"In the American sports car landscape, the Chevrolet Camaro is the king... of sales for 2010. For the first time since 1985, the Camaro has outsold its arch rival, the Ford Mustang. In fact, Chevrolet sold 7,655 more of its sporty coupes than the Blue Oval. General Motors moved 81,371 Camaros compared to 73,716 Mustangs.

Both automakers have reasons to celebrate, however, because sales for each model are up year over year. Compared to 2009, Mustang sales climbed 10.6 percent and Camaro sales soared by 31.9 percent. Ford and General Motors are looking at positive numbers across the board, with the exception of GM's now-defunct brands. Heck... even now-defunct Mercury sales rose one percent in 2010."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Sorry for the terse response a moment ago. I'm edgy today.
    I didn't take it that way at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

the Chevrolet Camaro is the king... of sales for 2010
    That makes sense. The Camaro is new so it has a slight boost and Ford can not make enough V6's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That makes sense. The Camaro is new so it has a slight boost and Ford can not make enough V6's.
    If I was in the market between the Camaro V6 or Mustang V6, I'd go Mustang V6. That car is supposedly solid and with the track package it supposedly handles well. The 114 mph governor is the only drawback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Camaro's have sold very very well for sure... The Mustangs numbers have gone down a bit and the V6 is not being made in large enough numbers. That being said despite the sales the Mustang is the better performer historically speaking from a sales perspective. DB is correct in the lots of folks in their 30's and 40's are buying for nostalgic reasons along with folks in their upper 50's to 60's. Reminds them of their parents car and so on, can't knock the Camaro sales wise its a win for GM. But Ford keeps taking their lunch performance wise and frankly the Mustang motor is so much more advanced compared to the LS motors with variable cam timing, 4V heads and the like. Then it weighs noticeably less then the Camaro and is far better looking to me. The Camaro's interior is horrid though the Mustang is not phenomenal compared to euro and asian styles. It goes either way depending on what cha like LOL
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

frankly the Mustang motor is so much more advanced compared to the LS motors with variable cam timing, 4V heads and the like. Then it weighs noticeably less then the Camaro and is far better looking to me.
    Have to strongly agree with all of this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12