Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Camaro ZL-1 lead engineer thinks Ford fans should thank GM for the new GT500

Apparently Chevy is a little bitter with the new GT500 stealing all their thunder. They are whining about Ford throwing everything they had at them. Oh well, it's called competition.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chief Engineer OPPENHEISER
    Camaro Nation:

As you know, the blogs lit up with the announcement of the new 650-horsepower Mustang GT500, and I wanted to give you my perspective on the latest challenge from Dearborn.
    The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009. Since then, Camaro has been the best-selling sports car in America, indicating that consumers know which car offers the best performance, style and safety.

It is no coincidence that Mustang has introduced three 100-horsepower increases to keep pace with Camaro: First their V-6 was bumped to 305; then their V-8 went to 412, and now the GT500.

Even with the 100-hp increase, the 2013 GT500 will still not match the technology and sophistication of the 2012 Camaro ZL1.

The days of “no replacement for displacement,” are over, and it’s not enough to be fast in a straight line. With the Camaro ZL1, we set out to deliver integrated performance, and be equally good at acceleration, braking, grip, and turning. As you will soon see, that’s why the Camaro ZL1 will set the performance benchmark for the segment.

Our approach was to make every Camaro ZL1 fully track-capable, from the factory. As we announced today, the ZL1 Coupe will start at $54,995 with standard Magnetic Ride Control, standard Performance Traction Management, and standard track-capable equipment such as a rear-differential cooler, brake cooling ducts, and an engine and transmission cooler.

None of our customers will have to buy extra options – or modify their ZL1 – for track-day usage. That is not the case for the current GT500, or their new car.

For Mustang fans, you’re welcome. Clearly the Camaro has encouraged Ford to throw everything they can at us.

For Camaro fans, trust me, we are always listening to your feedback, and working hard to keep the Camaro in the lead.
    Uh, the Mustang was not trailing and as a matter of fact Ford has been kicking the $#@! out of GM for a while now. It was GM who had no Camaro while Ford was selling Mustangs and they decided to a supercharged V8 to compete with the Cobra. So Ford stepped it up even higher and again is at the forefront.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That guy is so butthurt it's not even funny. The 5th gen camaro is a peice of $#@!. I drove one and it felt slower than my stock 135. Handled like car from the 70s and weighs 2 tons. Garbage. Now slap a whole bunch of cool performance parts unto a garbage chassis and still have garbage. The ZL1 is not more sophisticated than the new GT500. The new GT500 is hands down a better car in every category, chevy knows it and it is so obvious due to the quick turnaround statement coming from chevy chiefs. They are shaking in their pants, this new GT500 is going to destroy everything chevy is currently making, even the ZR1.

This is my take, the gt500 has the option to come with track packs and brake packs. Off the showroom floor all you need is a pulley swap, exhaust and a tune and I gaurantee you will be in the 700 whp range, which is ZR1 territory for half the price.

As for the new mustang GT 'keeping pace' with the new camaro. That guy is straight retarded, the new mustang GT with slicks and gears runs 11s all else stock. The new camaro with slicks and gears probably cant break a 12.5. It's a terrible terrible car.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Although the GM ZR1/ZL1/CTS-V hydromagnoheretical blah blah suspension/shocks are supposed to be damn good
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Although the GM ZR1/ZL1/CTS-V hydromagnoheretical blah blah suspension/shocks are supposed to be damn good
    I'm sure they are, but that's one aspect of an entire car. We have yet to see what ford is going to unleash with this new behemoth. I am not doubting ford, as of late they have impressed me over and over again. The past year, ford has pretty much won me over hands down as my next car purchase. And its going to be the GT500. I wanted the mustang GT with FRPP blower, but this new gt500 as a whole will $#@! all over any single technical advancement GM has come out with. We still dont know the details of this new GT500, basic hp figures and thats it. I am a believer that ford will unleash another showstopper.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Im with you. I am a ford fan! Own stock, think ford > gm. But the whole live rear axle seems to have been a problem for many.

Im sure they have taken suspension cues from the Mustang Boss 302 as well.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    That guy is so butthurt it's not even funny. The 5th gen camaro is a peice of $#@!. I drove one and it felt slower than my stock 135. Handled like car from the 70s and weighs 2 tons. Garbage. Now slap a whole bunch of cool performance parts unto a garbage chassis and still have garbage. The ZL1 is not more sophisticated than the new GT500. The new GT500 is hands down a better car in every category, chevy knows it and it is so obvious due to the quick turnaround statement coming from chevy chiefs. They are shaking in their pants, this new GT500 is going to destroy everything chevy is currently making, even the ZR1.

This is my take, the gt500 has the option to come with track packs and brake packs. Off the showroom floor all you need is a pulley swap, exhaust and a tune and I gaurantee you will be in the 700 whp range, which is ZR1 territory for half the price.

As for the new mustang GT 'keeping pace' with the new camaro. That guy is straight retarded, the new mustang GT with slicks and gears runs 11s all else stock. The new camaro with slicks and gears probably cant break a 12.5. It's a terrible terrible car.
    He just sounds butthurt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    get rid of live far axle dame it.. its the future... lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kautiongsr Click here to enlarge
    get rid of live far axle dame it.. its the future... lol
    The solid rear axle is the only downside I see really.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The solid rear axle is the only downside I see really.
    Seriously... But when I talk to my friend with gt and z06 they say " but it works" which is a stupied comment... ButI guess for know it does when you compare e90 m3 with gt....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Give me the solid rear axle. It's better for drag racing which is what the mustang is all about.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ROTFL... Awesome is all I can say and hey to each their own. Mustangs in 3V form were a slight bit slower than the Camaro when it came out. The Coyote motor was already being developed and they came with that later and slapped the Camaro, along with the V6 which if we are honest is nearly as fast as the outgoing V8 3V car.

So now Ford hits them with the GT with 412hp and the Chevy up's the HP rating mysteriously without any changes. Ford throws the Boss out there with more HP and Rpm to which GM has no response. They now put out the 650hp GT500 and Chevy wants folks to thank them for bringing back a car that couldn't sell and had to be stopped. Righhtttt.

Ford took Chevy's King of the Hill moniker and shoved it up their butts so that must have hurt... I can't stop laughing!!!
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    oppenheiser sounds so mad...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe the mustang GT is being up to 430hp as well
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Apparently Chevy is a little bitter with the new GT500 stealing all their thunder. They are whining about Ford throwing everything they had at them. Oh well, it's called competition.

Uh, the Mustang was not trailing and as a matter of fact Ford has been kicking the $#@! out of GM for a while now. It was GM who had no Camaro while Ford was selling Mustangs and they decided to a supercharged V8 to compete with the Cobra. So Ford stepped it up even higher and again is at the forefront.
    I don't have a dog in this fight but the Camaro does outsell the Mustang.

And Ford has no reason to be proud of any Mustang produced from the Mid-90's until the GT500 (early models being good for nothing more than modding for drag racing, which is cool in its own right) and then the 5.0 Cayote.

Edit: I forgot about the Terminator. Should have mentioned that.
    Last edited by Sonny; 11-22-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure they are, but that's one aspect of an entire car. We have yet to see what ford is going to unleash with this new behemoth. I am not doubting ford, as of late they have impressed me over and over again. The past year, ford has pretty much won me over hands down as my next car purchase. And its going to be the GT500. I wanted the mustang GT with FRPP blower, but this new gt500 as a whole will $#@! all over any single technical advancement GM has come out with. We still dont know the details of this new GT500, basic hp figures and thats it. I am a believer that ford will unleash another showstopper.
    One minute you say "the new GT500 is hands down better car in every category" and then you concede "we have yet to see what Ford is going to unleash with this new beheamoth."

I'm just saying, it will be good to see what the head-to-head performance ends up showing.

I would buy the GT500 simply because the Camaro is heavier, has less power and it has horrible blind spots.

Edit: You don't think it's extremely premature to say the GT500 will destroy the ZR1, a car which ways much less but has the same power and a better chassis and suspension?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    ROTFL... Awesome is all I can say and hey to each their own. Mustangs in 3V form were a slight bit slower than the Camaro when it came out. The Coyote motor was already being developed and they came with that later and slapped the Camaro, along with the V6 which if we are honest is nearly as fast as the outgoing V8 3V car.

So now Ford hits them with the GT with 412hp and the Chevy up's the HP rating mysteriously without any changes. Ford throws the Boss out there with more HP and Rpm to which GM has no response. They now put out the 650hp GT500 and Chevy wants folks to thank them for bringing back a car that couldn't sell and had to be stopped. Righhtttt.

Ford took Chevy's King of the Hill moniker and shoved it up their butts so that must have hurt... I can't stop laughing!!!
    I would say "mysterious" is something that is very hard to explain. In this case, the increase in claimed hp is very easy to explain: it's called marketing. Auto manufacturers are auto manufacturers, what do you expect. They have marketing and sales plans that are mapped out for the amount of time they plan on offering a certain platform.

Here, GM started with 304 hp for the V6 Camaro and then upped the rating to 312. All that means is that they underrated the original offering. I think even Sticky has said that occurs in the auto world, this day-and-age.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge

I hope GM doesn't respond to the Boss with something similar [track focused car] on their current Zeta chassis. That would be a mistake. Let Ford have the sole offering in that class. Props to Ford for that car. It's not exactly amazing, but it's quality for sure and should be respected.

GM will likely design something similar on their next, lighter/smaller chassis. That should be very cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    One minute you say "the new GT500 is hands down better car in every category" and then you concede "we have yet to see what Ford is going to unleash with this new beheamoth."

I'm just saying, it will be good to see what the head-to-head performance ends up showing.

I would buy the GT500 simply because the Camaro is heavier, has less power and it has horrible blind spots.

Edit: You don't think it's extremely premature to say the GT500 will destroy the ZR1, a car which ways much less but has the same power and a better chassis and suspension?
    It doesnt take a genius to see how the new GT500 will ruin the ZL1 in every category. Yes, I don't know the exact specification of this car inside and out, but looking at the car from a birdseye view already tells you it will dominate the ZL1. If you can read between the lines that is.

Power to weight - ford wins
    Acceleration- ford wins
    Handling - ford wins (look at skidpad numbers and vehicle weight)
    top speed - ford wins (200 mph, enough said)
    etc... etc...

Also, if you read my original post. I said the GT500 with an exhaust, tune and pulley swap will be in ZR1 territory. I doubt it will beat it around a track, in a straight line though with those mods I believe it will be able to take a ZR1.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It doesnt take a genius to see how the new GT500 will ruin the ZL1 in every category. Yes, I don't know the exact specification of this car inside and out, but looking at the car from a birdseye view already tells you it will dominate the ZL1. If you can read between the lines that is.

Power to weight - ford wins
    Acceleration- ford wins
    Handling - ford wins (look at skidpad numbers and vehicle weight)
    top speed - ford wins (200 mph, enough said)
    etc... etc...

Also, if you read my original post. I said the GT500 with an exhaust, tune and pulley swap will be in ZR1 territory. I doubt it will beat it around a track, in a straight line though with those mods I believe it will be able to take a ZR1.
    For the MY13' car, I'm still in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it."

I understand what you wrote in your original post, but I didn't know you were speaking only of 1/4. If so, my bad.

Since the news started rolling in about this GT500 I've been saying it can run low 11's on sticky tires and maybe even high, high 10's with the best gas and weather.

It sure has it's work cut out for it if we're comparing it to the ZR1 in a straight line, especially if the Vette is also on sticky tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Remember handling isnt skidpad G's, thats grip. Slalom is more related to handling but also not an outright test.
    That ZR1 suspension did wonders for the caddy in most reviews and im sure it will for the camaro too. Weighing less and having more power wont necessarily make it faster around a circuit. I do hope that ford rapes the ZL1 thou

Just got a v6 camaro loaner from MB. Not to shabby. Suspension feels much better than I thought, and the steering is way way better than I expected.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think this thing is going to be more than everyone is expecting. It is not easy to get to 200 mph with just 650 hp.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Remember handling isnt skidpad G's, thats grip. Slalom is more related to handling but also not an outright test.
    That ZR1 suspension did wonders for the caddy in most reviews and im sure it will for the camaro too. Weighing less and having more power wont necessarily make it faster around a circuit. I do hope that ford rapes the ZL1 thou

Just got a v6 camaro loaner from MB. Not to shabby. Suspension feels much better than I thought, and the steering is way way better than I expected.
    What do you think about the available vision in the Camaro?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    What do you think about the available vision in the Camaro?
    one of the first things that stood out to me as I had to pull the car out (parallel parked between 2). You would get use to it but the steering felt nice, front end resonded quickly (havent pushed it, im sure at speed/limit its not so good) which made the car feel smaller than it is. It is big but didnt feel as big as I thought it would.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think that GM should thank Henry Ford for inventing the wheel... I mean, without him - ... I can't even use this logic without feeling like a jag. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    one of the first things that stood out to me as I had to pull the car out (parallel parked between 2). You would get use to it but the steering felt nice, front end resonded quickly (havent pushed it, im sure at speed/limit its not so good) which made the car feel smaller than it is. It is big but didnt feel as big as I thought it would.
    I think the V6 Camaro would be a nice DD car. But, I think the impaired vision is too much for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast