Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    ford has sold me with this car... I cant imagine any car that will give you more for your money. The numbers are staggering, 650 hp, 1g skidpad, bilstein suspension package, brembo brakes, LSD, recaro seats... any word on pricing? I will have to buy this. I was going to get a mustang GT and supercharge it, but I will wait for this.
    The big question is whether this car features a revised rear end? I would be great if this car does away with the solid rear axle. Even though Ford improved the suspension and handling in the MY2011, the solid axle turned a lot of people off, outside of hardcore drag racers who love the strength of the solid axle.

But, this car looks to be great. I'm hoping the setup of this car enables it to drop some weight. A weight reduction will go along way in the competition against the ZL1.

Edit: After reading the article again, I don't see anything about any planned changes to the rear end, so most likely it's the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    But, this car looks to be great. I'm hoping the setup of this car enables it to drop some weight. A weight reduction will go along way in the competition against the ZL1.

Edit: After reading the article again, I don't see anything about any planned changes to the rear end, so most likely it's the same.
    Weight reduction? GM is the one that needs to reduce weight!

zl1 weighs 4100lbs....
    11/12 gt500 weighs 3750lbs...

News flash the zl1 does not even have power to weight than the outgoing gt500!

The al block 5.8l bigger brakes and a host of other items does raise weight a little. The new 13 gt500 will be at 3850lbs still 250lbs lighter than the zl1. Speaking of competition there is none. The 13 gt500 will blow away the zl1 in every performance category. Hell the 13 gt500 runs circles around the Ford GT supercar on the roadcourse!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike Click here to enlarge
    Weight reduction? GM is the one that needs to reduce weight!

zl1 weighs 4100lbs....
    11/12 gt500 weighs 3750lbs...

News flash the zl1 does not even have power to weight than the outgoing gt500!

The al block 5.8l bigger brakes and a host of other items does raise weight a little. The new 13 gt500 will be at 3850lbs still 250lbs lighter than the zl1. Speaking of competition there is none. The 13 gt500 will blow away the zl1 in every performance category. Hell the 13 gt500 runs circles around the Ford GT supercar on the roadcourse!
    I think the MY11' GT500 weighs more than 3750 lbs. I'll look into that.

Regarding the power-to-weight between the ZL1 and the outgoing GT500, it matters not because there is no comparison in performance between the two cars, so the ZL1 runs circles around the outgoing GT500 in probably every category, despite the heavier weight.

The all new block in the MY13' GT500 may actually be lighter than the outgoing 5.4L. Bigger displacement doesn't necessarily mean heavier weight. I learned that from poster, TexasEngineer a while back. For instance, if the two blocks are the same but one has more displacement, it may be lighter because more metal is removed to create the larger displacement. But, I don't know of the exact design specs, so I don't know for sure.

Plus, there's still the issue of a solid rear axle compared to independent rear suspension in the ZL1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The weight of the 07-09 gt500 was 3850lbs plus 80lbs if you ordered the mach 1000 stereo.
    The weight of the 10 gt500 gained about 10-15lbs.
    The 11 gt500 lost 100lbs by way of the al block 5.4.

I have no clue the difference in weight between the al 5.4 and al 5.8. The press release stated 13 weighed in at 3850lbs.
    12 gt500 12.1 @ 118 vs the 13 zl1 12.0 @ 119 is not what I call running circles around anything. We still have no clue how the 12 gt500 and 13 zl1 would compare on the track!
    Like I stated before the 13 gt500 is hitting 125+ on its stock 285 tires on an unprepped track!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It will be interesting comparing the ZL1 against the GT500 on the track, since the ZL1 was developed specifically for the track - its even using the ZR1's suspension, which makes a huge difference. I still don't think it will be able to top the new GT500.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    It will be interesting comparing the ZL1 against the GT500 on the track, since the ZL1 was developed specifically for the track - its even using the ZR1's suspension, which makes a huge difference. I still don't think it will be able to top the new GT500.
    This will be interesting as the new gt500 is outlapping the 05/06 Ford GT.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The ZL1's weight us a major disadvantage and the outgoing GT500 is no slouch. I would venture to say that the current car vs a ZL1 on a road course see's the ZL1 taking an L. That being said the 13 GT500 will be well faster than the current car

The GT500 even with the SRA still handles exceptionally well. Funny enough having owned a 01 Cobra with IRS and a properly setup SRA car. The SRA was the better handling car as the IRS in the Cobra was a compromised design to fit a pre engineered and old chassis. In any case drive a GT500 on the street and its rather tolerable compared to various other coupes. I will admit that with a IRS this car would likely be that last lil bit better
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike Click here to enlarge
    This will be interesting as the new gt500 is outlapping the 05/06 Ford GT.
    How is it outlapping the Ford GT?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How is it outlapping the Ford GT?
    From an Ford GT owner, keep in mind the 11/12 gt500 laps VIR at fast as the original test laps for the FORD GT:

And yes, our beloved GT is no longer the fastest Ford ever. The 2013 GT500 is easily faster around VIR. It's about the same in a straight line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

This is awesome. Bad ass. 650hp lol holy crap, this is almost zr1 territory with some bolt on's.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

The car in person was absurdly good looking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here are my pics of it:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GM claims this will not outrun their current ZL1... but they will still post an answer to that...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    GM claims this will not outrun their current ZL1... but they will still post an answer to that...
    How can this not outrun the ZL1?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

The camaro zl1. Is that a joke lmao. that whale will never outrun this gt500. This stang looks so refined and stuck to the floor.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have yet to see that this solid rear axle mustang will run a 7:41 laptime @ Grüne Hölle...as soon as that happens... i reckon GM will do something about it Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    We have yet to see that this solid rear axle mustang will run a 7:41 laptime @ Grüne Hölle...as soon as that happens... i reckon GM will do something about it Click here to enlarge
    I'm thinking we'll see the new, smaller Alpha platform for the Camaro as early as 2014, but probably by 2015.

The 2013 GT500 will likely beat the 2012 ZL1. But, there will be a Carbon edition for the ZL1 which will shed some weight. That said, the ZL1 is a great car for the Zeta platfom that was made for a four door.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    The ZL1's weight us a major disadvantage and the outgoing GT500 is no slouch. I would venture to say that the current car vs a ZL1 on a road course see's the ZL1 taking an L. That being said the 13 GT500 will be well faster than the current car

The GT500 even with the SRA still handles exceptionally well. Funny enough having owned a 01 Cobra with IRS and a properly setup SRA car. The SRA was the better handling car as the IRS in the Cobra was a compromised design to fit a pre engineered and old chassis. In any case drive a GT500 on the street and its rather tolerable compared to various other coupes. I will admit that with a IRS this car would likely be that last lil bit better
    What does taking an "L" mean, losing? You're saying the MY12' GT500 should beat the MY12' ZL1?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

ZL1 is a pig. New camaros are slow in real life. Stock the SS's only run 13s. The new mustang GT runs 12s. This thing will be low 11s easy.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

ZL1 is a pig. New camaros are slow in real life. Stock the SS's only run 13s. The new mustang GT runs 12s. This thing will be low 11s easy.
    These factory blown cars have nothing to do with their base model, NA brethren.

I assume you mean the MY13' GT500 will run low 11's on DR's. Because it aint happening on street tires. I agree with low 11's and maybe even break into the 10's with the right weather and track prep.

The ZL1 on DR's will be a mid 11-second car easy, and maybe even as low as 11.3-11.4 on it's best run with the best weather.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just to let you know, I don't like Camaro SS's. I had one, and it sucked. The ZL1 is a beast but I wouldn't own one and I thought about buying one for some time.

That said, there are 23 stock Camaro SS's in the 12's on the Camaro5 fastlist. I do acknowledge that the 5.0 Stangs are faster as they are lighter. And it is accurate to characterize SS Camaros as 13-second cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

the car looks ridiculously good!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Stock the SS's only run 13s.
    They did that back in the 90's.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    What does taking an "L" mean, losing? You're saying the MY12' GT500 should beat the MY12' ZL1?
    Take an L as in a Losing... Any yes the GT500 for 2011/12 should as fast or faster than a ZL1 in a straight-line or on a road course. Less weight and a better power to weight ratio will get it there... Take a look at 2011 GT500 hp/quarter mile times/trap speeds and you will see a serious performer. The new ZL1 will be a 580 rated crank car with a 4100lb or so weight to carry around. The current GT500 is 550hp and several hundred pounds less so while it has a slight disadvantage in overall HP it weighs far less.

Take a look at 2011 Camaro's vs same Mustang GT's and the performance difference is interesting to see in terms of trap speeds, weight and acceleration.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Take an L as in a Losing... Any yes the GT500 for 2011/12 should as fast or faster than a ZL1 in a straight-line or on a road course. Less weight and a better power to weight ratio will get it there... Take a look at 2011 GT500 hp/quarter mile times/trap speeds and you will see a serious performer. The new ZL1 will be a 580 rated crank car with a 4100lb or so weight to carry around. The current GT500 is 550hp and several hundred pounds less so while it has a slight disadvantage in overall HP it weighs far less.

Take a look at 2011 Camaro's vs same Mustang GT's and the performance difference is interesting to see in terms of trap speeds, weight and acceleration.
    I just looked at the stock 2011 GT500 times on dragtimes today, and it wasn't that impressive. I expect we'll see better times from the ZL1, heavier weight notwithstanding. The ZL1 has LC and it will come with an automatic.

I've already posted in this thread on the Camaro SS vs. 5.0 Mustang.

Has the 2011/2012 GT500 been timed at the Ring?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast