Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Wink Camaro ZL1 ain't no joke! 7:41.27 Ring Time

All I can say is that the ZL1 is a badass car! Check it out.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-future-lineup

"Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America flew from sunny and warm Detroit to rainy and chilly Los Angeles to address media members on Wednesday. Once he arrived, the climate change was evident in the room close to Los Angeles International Airport; this man's enthusiasm for automobiles, motorsports and General Motors is evident by his demeanor and excitement for the future.

The first item Reuss addressed was the vehicle on display outside the hotel where the meeting was held - Chevrolet's Camaro ZL1. The street and circuit-worthy Camaro wasn't terribly pretty but it looked, at first glance, that it was worthy of great performance.

Reuss stated as much - from personal experience - as he was one of the drivers to conduct performance validation on this machine on the famed Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit of 14.173 miles in Germany, where the LSR-powered V8 muscle car turned an incredible 7 minutes, 41.27 seconds in a single lap, he said. Can anyone remember a GM president that was enough of an enthusiast to take part in a session of this type? Didn't think so.

The ZL1 was "forgiving and neutral," Reuss, a Grand-Am-licensed competitor said. "I was able to drive deeper than I ever have." He especially enjoyed passing the Porsche GT3's that were lapping concurrently, before the car was boxed and returned from Germany to the GM proving grounds and then brought to Los Angeles for this morning appearance. The street car will have its debut during the mid-November Los Angeles International Auto Show.

GM is trying to change its culture - no easy task - but having a man at the top like Reuss will go a long way to help cure General Motors' ills. GM is now a recognizable global brand, as evidenced by cars bearing the GM label throughout the world. Most of the cars built for the US market these days are not US-centric, starting with the Chevrolet Cruze that has been a top seller in its small car segment for five months of this uncompleted sales year.

Up next in GM's lineup are the newly launched small Sonic, a Spark minicar and a new Malibu mid-size sedan, set for a December launch. GM is also now a strategic partner with MTV and it's "Scratch" in-house social marketing team, Reuss noted.

In the Buick line, GM's eAssist gives up to 25 percent greater economy and is being offered in the Regal and LaCrosse sedans, in addition to the new Chevy Malibu. Upcoming is the beautiful Cadillac ELR, which Reuss said will get 42 mpg. "We're working on technology, quality and customer service," he said.

In the latter area, Reuss and his minions have a good deal of work to do as they move toward renewing infrastructure at dealerships and creating a more modern automobile culture that is customer-centric. In that regard, GM has a long way to go to get its dealers onboard.

Items we can look forward to are the CUE system for Cadillac, which stands for Cadillac User Experience, an infotainment system that Reuss promises will be available for top-line cars (but he won't say which ones yet, darn it). "It'll be very intuitive and you won't need three hours to learn it; there's going to be no need to take your eyes off the road when using it," Reuss said.

GM will also launch Relay Rides, a long-term shared rides initiative that Reuss hopes will bring more familiarity of the GM brand for younger drivers. And he's very excited about the new turbodiesel Cruze that should be in dealerships fairly soon; Reuss is hoping this initial diesel entry in the United States will spawn more - once the culture of diesel becomes more familiar to customers in the USA."
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, it's a beast for sure! I was thinking of getting one. But, I had a gen 5 Camaro and I'm not crazy about the looks anymore. It's also pretty heavy. Btw, I know that the ZL1 is not anything like the regular SS. So many differences, it's basically a different car aside from the chassis and body. But, I think they look too narrow when you're right in back of them.

I really respect GM for saying this whole time that car was designed for the track. They beat the snot out of it in their drag racing testing, it seems.

I look forward to seeing them on the road. But, at the end of the day, I'm glad I stuck with the C63.

I'm very interested to see what the next Camaro will be like when they switch to the Alpha chassis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So is the Alpha platform supposed to lighten it up a couple hundred pounds? If they can keep the current HP and drop the weight...$#@!!

(I think the current Camaro looks good, it is a little big/heavy though)
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    So is the Alpha platform supposed to lighten it up a couple hundred pounds? If they can keep the current HP and drop the weight...$#@!!

(I think the current Camaro looks good, it is a little big/heavy though)
    I don't know how much lighter it will be but the chassis itself is smaller than the current Zeta chassis, so I assume it will be at least a couple hundred pounds lighter. I mean the current chassis is also used with the Pontiax G8, which is a medium sized 4-door (I love the look of them btw... the GXP's).

I'm interested to see which direction GM goes with their next generation of Corvette motor, which I assume the Camaro will recieve, in some form or another.

The LSA setup adds a good deal of weight to this car [ZL1] and it has the beefier rear end. I think the exhaust sounds great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is an incredibly impressive laptime.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hmm...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they can make that yacht have that lap time, Gm is definitely doing something right... props
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    If they can make that yacht have that lap time, Gm is definitely doing something right... props
    Like giving it enough power to make up for deficiencies in other areas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lots of power..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Like giving it enough power to make up for deficiencies in other areas.
    Besides aesthetics (I don't know if that's spelled right) and weight what are the deficiencies?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This car has power that can be used. I expect mid-11 second 1/4 mile times on DR's, 4.0 second 0-60 times, the Ring time is great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    Besides aesthetics (I don't know if that's spelled right) and weight what are the deficiencies?
    Basically those two. To hustle that much weight around with a fairly nose heavy car means this thing has some serious power in the straights.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Basically those two. To hustle that much weight around with a fairly nose heavy car means this thing has some serious power in the straights.
    True that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks leo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NP. Enjoy! Impressive car indeed, for how big it is. If you go to Chevy's youtube site, you can find out more info about it, and how they went about creating it for the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Word out of Dearborn is the new 13 gt500 will destroy the zl1. more power, 300+ lbs lighter than the zl1 and better handling than the 11 gt500. Currently the 11 gt500 is running laptimes similar to the ford gt! The comparisons will be fun in about 3 months!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting. Can't wait!! Glad american muscle cars are getting better and better at the track and not just straight line performance.